oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree oak smells great but i have to say white cedar is by far the best

gonna have plenty to be sniffing here

20121023_181127.jpg

started on this shingle oak tonight
it is in the red oak family and has a similar scent as standard red oak, but seems a little more pleasant

outside the red oak smell isn't bad, but it doesn't work well put into the house freshly split!

I appreciate the aroma of red oak when cutting, it has a distinctive pew. :D

When I started cutting in the woodlot I dropped a tree I couldn't identify. Didn't know what it was until I started bucking it up. That familiar smell of red oak was easily identifiable though. Did some researching and found I had willow oak, a variety of red that grows in lowlands.

Post oak makes great BBQ and grilling wood. It’s a very hot wood and more dense then red oak. It takes a bit longer to season but its good wood!

Red oak

My wife HATES the smell of red oak. Says our backyard smell like a porta potty when I am splitting it.

I would just say red oak has a red oak smell. Normally the stench of my work gloves over powers the red oak smell.:yoyo:

I cut a bunch of white oak last weekend and it has a much better smell.

I have been working on a monster red oak that blew down during a storm that came out of the north spring of 2011. Today I finally cut the root ball loose. The bottom 6-8 ft. of the trunk had cracked several different ways when it came down. The cracked areas were wet from rain, having been laying there 1.5 yrs. now, the ants and whatnot were just starting to move in. Anyways, when splitting it had a strong oakey/alcohol smell to it, I've never run across that before. EDIT: Is this where the stump water that granny would refer to on the Beverly Hillbilly's comes from? :dizzy:

Last edited:
Up here in New England, Red Oak smells pretty much a whorehouse at low tide.

My favorite to smell while cutting is some birch. Smells like birch beer or root beer when you are up to your ankles in chips...
attachment.php

View attachment 259138

I appreciate the aroma of red oak when cutting, it has a distinctive pew. :D

When I started cutting in the woodlot I dropped a tree I couldn't identify. Didn't know what it was until I started bucking it up. That familiar smell of red oak was easily identifiable though. Did some researching and found I had willow oak, a variety of red that grows in lowlands.

Is that why they make church benches from red oak - so you sit in your own pew? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

White oak should remind you of bourbon or fine whiskey- that's what they use to make the barrels (and wine barrels).
Love the smell of it when splitting and burning slowly.

I'm splitting both red and white oak now. The white oak does smell good, red oak, not a pleasant smell in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back