Oak!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

excess650

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was on the way to deer camp on Saturday, and stopped at a Stihl shop. Having never been in this shop, I was curious to see how much inventory they might have, and looking for rebuildable saws. I did buy a 36" Stihl ES bar for $70.95 which was less expensive than the 32" that he also had for sale(I already had one), and both a full comp and full skip chain.

As it turns out, the big oak log I remembered was bigger than I thought. I had to trim the log to allow the Alaskan mill with 36" bar to just clear the sides. That much dry oak sure made a lot of sawdust!

Anyway, 7' slabs 2" thick and up to 30" wide were pretty heavy. I brought 8 of them home, and there is still more of the log to cut. The bottom has a hollow section in it, but I should be able to cut 4' lengths. Maybe 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" this time.

Has anyone compared full comp chain to full skip chain on 24"-30" wide cuts in dry oak? Which cuts faster and smoother? I milled with the full skip since I dulled the full comp cutting other stuff to get set up.

I know, sigh, this thread is worthless without pictures!

Latest posts

Back