ODA Applicator Test Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterarbor

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm sitting for the Ohio Dept. Applicator test soon and in the process of studying the core material. I am not taking the serviceperson exam, but the one that enables me to buy, store and apply chemicals in Ohio. I am a certified arborist with about 10 years in the field, so I've picked up general knowledge about the area in question, but have mostly concerned myself with the practices of residential trimming. My question is this: The study material presented to me is dense, with many specific details. Can anyone give me a heads up on what to expect test wise in regard to difficulty? Am I going to be required to know scientific names for diseases or examples of specific chemicals for treating plants? I have a lot on my plate running a business and trying to squeeze studying into my schedule. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

The basic "core" exam for an applicator is based more on the legal aspects of buying/applying pesticide (i.e. Labels/MSDS, PPE, Drift, spill response, etc.) than "arborist" type questions. IF the test is similar to the one in Michigan (?) then you will need to know the "laws" regarding pesticide. The manual should have some questions at the end of each chapter, if you can answer those questions you should be able to pass the test. This year for the first time many states (in this region, I don't know if Ohio is one of them) have gone to the national core manual w/an additional book for their specific state. These manuals are availble at your extension service (Ohio State?). The test sounds more intimidating than it is. Good common sense, combined with a basic understanding of Ohio's laws will get you through, Good Luck! :clap:

Thanks Urban Forester. I have two manuals to study from. One is the manual that you indicated with the questions at the back of the book form the EPA called "applying pesticides correctly", the other is "ornamental pest control" which has an exhaustive list of plant diseases and their control including a 50 page glossary of plants with their common problems and treatments. I have what would be regarded as a casual understanding of the most common diseases (funguses, blights, rusts, scale, mites etc.) and rely on reference material like this to diagnose less common ailments. This manual goes into some detail concerning the life cycles and treatments of what seems like every plant problem in ohio. Does the test concentrate greatly on these issues? I am interested in all ares of diagnosis and treatment and expect to expand my knowledge as my IMP programs grows, so I'm not trying to avoid the exploration of these matters. However, I would like to get this credential under my belt and get my fledgling program running while playing some catch up on some of the more nuanced aspects of treatment.:)

Thanks,
Kevin

Sounds like you can read. You should be good to go ;) (maybe a little bit of a stretch, but not too much - a lot of common sense involved).

Just remember "the label is the law" and you should get at least a 50% on the core.

There were a few specific pest questions on the ornamental pest test, but I don't recall anything involving Latin names or really detailed life cycle stuff. I think they were just generalities. I took it 3 or 4 years ago, and I don't remember anything that was a real stumper. I even took the turf section, and I'm no turf expert - I figured while I was at it, I might as well since there was no extra cost.

If you can make it to the Feb 25th Recertification class, it would make the test a breeze.

Sounds like you can read. You should be good to go ;) (maybe a little bit of a stretch, but not too much - a lot of common sense involved).

Sounds like you've taken the one in Michigan too! :laugh: I've been taking them every 3 years since '88 and totally agree w/you, "a lot of common sense involved". It's just amazing sometimes how little some people have, when it takes 8 or 10 times before they pass. It scares me that those people are now spraying pesticide... :confused: I think "Masterarbor" will do just fine, sounds like a sharp guy, that'll cruise through it...

Latest posts

Back