Off the wall question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
probably hard to burn in large quantity, maybe a little at a time with logs.Welcome fellow cheesehead,I'm from rice lake

Welcome to As.

Have you ever tried to burn woodchips/mulch before?
It just smolders. It packs so tight you can't get any air to feed it.
I doubt an OWB would do much better.

A shovelful at a time they will burn, but after that you will get a lot of packing like Redneck said. Woodchips work better in trails than in your OWB

Just a thought.. What if you have a heatmor where the forced draft comes up thru the grate? Seems like it might burn up the chips, Although wood is the way to go.

what kind of owb did you get?

I have a Classic 6048. Just over a year old. Its been 17 months since I've bought propane, and I'm still at 50%. I'm heating about 2500 square feet, plus my hot water.

I have a lot of storm damaged trees, and we burn brush constantly as we are cleaning up. Thought I'm wasting a lot of BTU's, but the solution needs to be practical as well.

Welcome to AS, always room for questions.

Save the chips for the smoker, and some meats.

I find burning brush piles makes a person thirsty. Practical solutions seem to come in even numbered packages.

try this....
get a cardboard apple box from your local grocery store as they crush alot of them and they are free and also fit in most boiler doors.
fill it with chips and stack boxes in the sun or anywhere dry to dry them real good.
go to your local KFC or any fried food place and get some free used fryer oil.
dump said oil on dry chips and let them soak up the fryer oil goodness and place on bed of hot coals .
enjoy .

also works well with shredded paper from local recycler.

:greenchainsaw:

Woodchips and fryer oil........sounds kind of smokey and smelly.....isn't that the kind of thing that is getting the OWB a bad reputation with the neighbors and banned in some areas?

Woodchips and fryer oil........sounds kind of smokey and smelly.....isn't that the kind of thing that is getting the OWB a bad reputation with the neighbors and banned in some areas?

I agree.

Should be burning seasoned wood in an OWB, like any other enclosed wood burning device.

my boiler smokes with anykind of seasoned wood in it.
I also have no neibors that are close so I am not at risk taking down any boiler owners.
This year I have seasoned birch on the way and alot of it... so I hope that I will not run low and have to be in a position that I have to burn stuff like this but when you are heating a greenhouse with thousands on the line you do what you have to and my box of chips and oil was not all that bad.
the tire pile was next:jawdrop:

Back