Off topic Daytona grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burchie70

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I cleaned out an old barn and found an old Daytona DG-80 bench grinder which works. The switch is broke and needs to be replaced. anyone familiar with one of these and know what kind of switch I need to fix it ? EABA3892-657C-4182-935B-9C5A7A94A353.jpeg9F13FC9D-25A9-4E5B-A5CF-F14D058396D6.jpeg

Personally I would just mount a standard shallow electrical right over the opening. You could just use a box extender which will be open on the back. Then just use a standard light switch. Total cost a few bucks

Thanks Bill, I found this last night but it doesn’t give the dimensions of the switch. Kind of looks like what should be there FFAA1943-59F2-4BBA-A093-02BF8381DD48.jpeg

One other question Bill, I have black coming on the cord as power and red as the neutral. Green is grounded to the base. I have two red wires going to the motor. Would one red from the motor go to the black power and the other red from the motor go to the neutral ? If so does it matter which one goes to which ? There is no different markings on the red wires from the motor. Thanks for any help

That switch looks good. As for the wiring that is odd. The cord should not be using a red as a neutral. As for the wiring the motor if the switch the hot and neutral the motor should run backwards. Someone more famiar with electric motors can give you more info.

Bill got the wiring figured out and it does work good. Gonna go with a different switch then the one I posted a picture of though. $19 for the switch and they want $21 for shipping lol

Glad to hear you got it working. It is nice to see folks save older items. We have became a horrible throw away society. That grinder might outlive us all.
Also the $21 shipping is nuts that sounds like Fastenal, Grainger, or McMaster

Latest posts

Back