Oh how I hate starlings! This means WAR!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been at one small fire a day for a couple of weeks now with the mild temps. Opened the door last night for the nightly warm up and seen one of them staring at me from the back of the firebox. I buried the bastard in paper thru the kindling on top, a couple of splits and cremated that sucker.

you can make a cheap starling trap and use their nesting instinct... very cheap too... use pvc pipe.. whatever size you use.. 3" and up. pvc pipe about 2 ' long.. that size of pipe attatched to a 90 degree elbow and a stand pipe about 5 foot long put that into a old trash can or 55 gallon drum that has a top on it... cut a hole into the top the size of the pipe and fill the drum about half full of water. You will have to mount the pipe on a fence or something you can take off easy... put the pipe in so they fall into the barrel or drum and instant bird bath from HE#%
They crawl in .. they dont crawl out... just have to clean it out everyday unless bloated rotting birds turns you on... I know shooting them is more fun.. I bought some subsonic .22 that work great... even in town. Winchester lever action with a scope and that evens things up...

Ran across this just a bit ago and thought how relevent. More picts in the article..
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...ld-eagle-chases-catches-starling-mid-air.html

attachment.php

There was a story in the paper a few years ago where a Golden Eagle flew off with a Jack Russel dog.....The dog appeared back a few days later! with barely a scratch!
I would guess R.I.P one Eagle!

They just fall down my pipe and die inside the fireplace. Pulled 7 carcasses out of the stove the past 3 years.

Had that happen once. Here's a tip. After the burn season is over, plug the top of the chimney. I simply just pop the cap off the top, and push my 6" cleaning brush barely down the chimney.

The little ba$tards actually pecked off half of my sealing rope on the inside of my soapstone. I was pizzed.

After the 3 I busted back-to-back at lunch today w/ the RWS Diana, my count has risen to 21 for the month. :):)

here's another keeper that you don't see often...

British made, Air Arms Pro Elite .22 w/ Maccari custom walnut stock

pro elite.JPG

pro elite2.JPG

pro elite3.JPG

I have a bit different relationship with the little bastards. Living out here we have a bad fly problem in the spring but especially in the fall. the whole house swarmed with flys and some of course find there way in so we get loads inside for a month or so at the end of the yr till the frost kills them. the starling will swarm the house in the morning and eat thier way through a lot of flys, which reduces the numder in the house, so in the fall the starlings are my friends. dont get me wrong, i had a few try and nest in and around the house so i wasnt long getting out the .22 and sending them to birdie heaven. but if they wanta eat flys then piss off its ok with me.

I know it was overkill but i had just set the .243 up on the bench and put up a couple of targets at 100 yards. When i walked back there was a starling on the fence beside the target:) Yep 87 grain Vmax at 3200fps and a puff of feathers!

I know it was overkill but i had just set the .243 up on the bench and put up a couple of targets at 100 yards. When i walked back there was a starling on the fence beside the target:) Yep 87 grain Vmax at 3200fps and a puff of feathers!

:clap:

Nah, that's not overkill, that's "just right" kill. LOL

Counted 8 of the devil birds this morning. . . First encounter of 2010. They were prepared, and flew as soon as I opened the door.

Two of them were trying to nest in my trailer's soffit. :chainsaw:

There declaration of war has not gone unnoticed, I must now gather the troops, and prepare for battle!!

P.S. Thanks England. . . Jerks. :p

Back