Oh, I'm a fence crusher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is the way of it.. A LOT of people think I've been reckless in my cutting and rigging, as shown on youtube.. Roachy told me I was gonna get "squshed".. but he's wrong.. The stuff that may look dangerous to many, isn't becasue it is well thought out. Once you get to a certain level of mastery, its the "easy stuff" that becomes dangerous.. just so much that can go wrong.. Big Landscaper got killed a few years back when the backhoe he was working on fell and crushed him.. You just have to keep your wits about you at ALL TIMES.. pay great attention to the details.. they matter..

At one point some years ago, my son who works with me told me I had a vendetta against fences. Three fences in three days. Never mind I missed all the overhangs over wires, houses, landscaping, lights, etc. etc. It seemed for a few days there, I would put the last limb on the fence. Never too serious of damage, had to replace one post on a split rail, but that was it.
I have never had an accident on a "hard" or "difficult" tree. Its the easy ones that get me every time. I can rig out the stuff no one else around here wants to touch, but a straight drop away from a house, will send a limb backasswards and into a piece of siding, or a broken dead branch will lauch itself accross the street into a Lexus.
Its the "easy" ones that get us all the time.
Fence crusher...I feel your pain, and gladly welcome you to the human race.

I've watched your stuff for some time now Murph and my bet is one day it's going to catch up with you. Playing around with barber chair just might be the ticket. Still always wishing you the best of luck though! :cheers:

SURVEY SAYS: it could catch up with anybody.

I've watched your stuff for some time now Murph and my bet is one day it's going to catch up with you. Playing around with barber chair just might be the ticket. Still always wishing you the best of luck though! :cheers:

Thanks Dan... I think??? :msp_biggrin:
That's what I AM talking about.. Nothing will get hurt or damaged when I simulate a headleaner on a big ash.. its gonna be beautiful.. Nothing will be left to chance.. its the easy stuff that's dangerous at this point. I had a ladder kick out on me in 2002 and that was enough to keep the compacency in check for about a decade, which is coming up fast.

I only started posting videos in summer of 2009.. All that stuff you guys think is crazy, is pretty much SOP here.. And there's plenty more that never made it to tape..

professional pride

I was removing the low branches on a red oak in a new clients yard about fourteen years ago. I was working by myself trying to save up money to go out on my own. I had brought up lowering lines for the bigger limbs over the roof (two ropes = four limbs) The last limb I had to remove was maybe 3" and hung over two adarondack chairs and a table. If I had been smart I would have moved the chairs and table before I entered the tree, If I hadn't been lazy I would have gotten out of the tree and moved the lawn furniture. However I was cocky and felt I could directionally cut the limb away from the furniture. Wrong! I couldn't have smashed one of the chairs better if I'd tried. The owner said not to worry, the chairs were old and falling apart. That was not the point to me. My professional pride was hurt and I was responsible. I bought him a new chair ($200). I now prune his trees about every other year and he has recommended me to numerous clients

I take that back, it was not complacency, I just had my head up my ass. It was tough to discern cause its usually not up there... well at least not on the job it isn't.

I take that back, it was not complacency, I just had my head up my ass. It was tough to discern cause its usually not up there... well at least not on the job it isn't.

Two things.
1.No one is perfect.
2. The sign of great craftsman is not how perfect the job is done but how perfectly he can hide his mistakes.

Pulling that off is the greatest pleasure any pro will humbley admit.

TMD.
Man ,why you got to go around spreading the fence smashing karma?
Haven't smashed even one board in 3or4 years until..........somebody started a thread about smashing fences.

Had a small oak branch [5inch x 10 ft give or take] took one of those funny bounces we all hate so much and the butt end hammered the top of a plastic fence.The dam thing seemed to explode into a dozen pieces.:bang:

I was thinking "there goes the better part of a hundy",but all it did was knocked the top rail off and all the interlocking slats just fell out of the bottom slat in every direction.
What a relief.ten minutes of rebuilding and WHAMO ,all is good again.

Now I just hope nobody comes along and starts a thread about front yard lights.Those I don't have such a clean record on.But let's keep that a secret,if you don't mind:hmm3grin2orange:

I never met a lawn light I couldn't crush or at least back over. Who needs lights on their lawns anyway? Just a lot of pageantry really. Last week I was piecing out a Tree of Heaven that had grown around the trim and roof. The 200T jumped right through the kerf into the trim. I will finish those cuts with a hand saw now, but I already knew that. So why did I do it then?...

Two things.
1.No one is perfect.
2. The sign of great craftsman is not how perfect the job is done but how perfectly he can hide his mistakes.

Pulling that off is the greatest pleasure any pro will humbley admit.

#1. old boss A. , "Rub some dirt on that.' #2. First 'tree boss' ever (not including the old man) yesterday hes got his bucket out on my job trimming an oak, calls me over, "You got any black spray paint?" :msp_scared:

newreply.php

Here was a close one from last fall. Tree wasn't supposed to be anywhere near that shed. Thank god it rolled off that spruce, because it was headed right for the shed up until that point!

If Im seeing this right your notch is on the upper left , what made it roll? did she do one of those weird mid air piroets?-----------------Check this out, one time my favorite old boss is bucketing down this big nasty willow. Hes one of those guys that almost always uses a rope even if he doesnt need it. Well he lets this log drop like 6ft long by2ft or so dia, comes straigt down lands flat on a root just a hair under the grade and shoots accross the lawn like 30 feet and blasts an 8ft pannel of 6ft privacy fence out, knocks it out perfect without breaking a dog ear.Nieghbors 2 pissed of dogs that were barking nonstop come running after us and we gotta jump up on the chipper. Sucked at the time but in retrospect pretty funny

Latest posts

Back