oh my what a sob story

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Okay. As weird as this year is going, and I knew that it can only get more interesting as it goes along...
Situation is that there is a shortage of log suppliers in the area. This complicates things for those of us that are brave (dumb?) enough to try and sell a little wood. So, I get to this stage where I have darn little left of anything that could laughably called "dry". I have some stuff that is getting there, and some stuff that really is gonna be called green wood.
We gonna sell everything before the end of January. I can smell it...

So I get this phone call from a little spot in the road about 40 miles away. She is telling me that she is friends with the lady that I just delivered 4 cords to who is closer to where I am. She was supposed to be getting part of that load from her friend, but that has not happened. And she is almost outta wood. Anyway, she is talking like she is gonna need like 6 cords of really dry wood (evidently her stove don't draft very well) and was quoting a low price of about 150/cord... I start to explain to her "firewood economics 101" and why I ain't gonna drive it down there for that. In addition to that, I don't have anything in that quantity that is real dry. Oh, but this is her only source of heat, and she is this little bitty thing who lives with her birds and cats, and broke her neck twice and can't lift much.... Then we talk about other suppliers and maybe she could get a load from another supplier. She mentioned one (I know him) and told me that a few years ago she was in a mess (like this one) and he brought her a load of wood for free! Isn't that nice...

Golly. Sounds like I am turnin' into a welfare office. Why bother with LEAP, just call ol' Pat up and plead a long enough sob story and get free wood :)popcorn: dry). Now what do I do....??

I think I am gonna call the friend and ask her what is going on here.

Stay out of it. Not your business. Sounds like she's trying to con her way into some free wood.

Good advice.

The numbers don't add up on this. If her friend got four cords and was supposed to share, then her needing six now doesn't make sense.
You have to wonder how she was planning on moving the wood from the friends house to hers.
They must not be close friends if the lady who got the wood is going to let her freeze.
Sounds like someone trying to take advantage of a good natured guy, or maybe she called because everyone else told her NO.

The lady in distress sob story is the oldest trick-in-the-book when it comes to breakin' ya' down just a bit prior to the "haggle". The idea is to get ya' feelin' a bit guilty before price negotiations start in earnest. It was a classic tactic used by whores in the mining "boom" towns of the old west to suck just a bit more from lonely, inexperienced clients. I hate ta' say it ('cause i have a daughter that works me good), but those girls practice and cultivate that "tactic" on "daddy" as they're growin' up... especially teenage girls now-a-days. Anyone with a daughter has seen the look, and heard the "daddy" words that make ya' melt... while mom just shakes her head in disbelief.

Your best defense against that tactic is to have a "sob story" of your own much worse than anything they can think of... the classic one was 8 kids without shoes at home. As soon as they start in with their story, ya' answer with... "Yeah, I know just how it feels. I got 8 kids at home and we still ain't got shoes for 'em this year and if'n I don't bring some cash home soon they'll be losin' their toes to frostbite... I guess I shouldn't be here spendin' my money, maybe I should head on back ta' camp."
That normally shut down the the BS and serious "haggling" could commence... with the miner at the advantage (if done convincingly).

Now... you ain't a miner trying to buy flesh from a whore... so put your own take on it... but whatever ya' do, don't fall for it.

Do you ever get "Daddy, how much do you love me?" I HATE that sentence, and will never fall for it.

All the more reason to maintain " my price is my price" attitude.

Damsel in distress
Thanks guys for affirming my suspicions.
If my competition hauled a load for free then he fell for the sob story at that time. If Dave is hauling a small load of wood, then he is fallin' for it. And Evidently, the friend has heard enough of this, which explains why she hasn't hauled any down there yet. I think that my smart move is to declare that I don't have anything dry enough for that picky stove (almost the truth). If I wanted to have some fun... I would UPS her a bundle of wood, with a BIZ card stapled to it :ices_rofl:

If you're out, you're out

I sold out a couple weeks ago with the exception of 2 cord that's in reserve for my 2 customers that I know will run out like they do every year and call late Jan. early Feb. I'm still getting calls and just tell them upfront, I can't help them, I have nothing available, it's that simple. I have worked very hard over the years to develop and keep an excellent reputation, in the area. I have absolutely no desire to ruin it now by selling a sub-standard product. If I lose a sale, I lose a sale.

As to the promise of a big order next year if you help them this year, one of the oldest ploys in the game. They're in trouble because they haven't developed a relationship with a supplier over the years, why would they be starting now. if they want to play the CL crapshoot, that is their decision and it's not up to anyone else to bail them out.

By the way when I get one of these big order promises next year if you help me now, from a potential new client, I have in the past 2 or 3 years told them, if I bring you 2 cords now, it's cash up front when I get there for the wood plus a 50% deposit on the wood for next year. In all cases I have used this line, to this day I've never had a taker.

Other question I ask and I could write a short, yet entertaining book, with the replies, "who did you buy from last year, (or who brought you wood earlier this year) and why aren't you calling them?"

Anyway, to the OP, you're running a for profit business where word of mouth advertising is gold. Don't take a chance on ruining your reputation for a sob story.

Take Care

I remember Hobos traveling through our train stop town would mark the fence or mailbox of a free handout so their friends could put the squeeze on the same house for a freebee, once you give in to the little old lady con, you'll be marked for life. Then how many sob stories would you have to listen to ?

I knew this had to be on the net somewhere:
howard_zpsc89dc628.jpg

Yes, this sign exists.

Since I have a sale down that way... maybe I should hand deliver her a bundle or two... however, you gentlemen are right. I am going to stand my ground on this one. Happy Thanksgiving!

My take on this has always been the same, whether you are dealing with wood or people looking for a handout from the government. If you are TRUELY down and out from an unexpected or emergency situation, your family or friends will help you get through it. Why? Because they KNOW the situation and you would probably do the same for them if the circumstances were reversed.

When your Neighbors, friends, family and ANYONE who knows you won't step in, that should be a HUGE red flag. That is why these people start working on people who do NOT know how they have been all their life and start playing the guilt trip game.

I've helped a lot of people over the years and guess what, most did not ask me personally. I knew the situation and they were really in need so I showed up. Unlike most "askers", they will try to get even with you in the future. I don't do it because I expect them to return the favor, I do it because they are honestly in need from a situation out of their control.

You reap what you sow comes into play here for me. A lot of people try to guilt others into believing there should be no questions asked but they are normally the ones not willing to do the work or put up the monetary funds themselves to get the job done. See paragraph one!

I'm Thankful for friends and family at this time of year especially.

Last edited:
If you're out, you're out

I sold out a couple weeks ago with the exception of 2 cord that's in reserve for my 2 customers that I know will run out like they do every year and call late Jan. early Feb. I'm still getting calls and just tell them upfront, I can't help them, I have nothing available, it's that simple. I have worked very hard over the years to develop and keep an excellent reputation, in the area. I have absolutely no desire to ruin it now by selling a sub-standard product. If I lose a sale, I lose a sale.

As to the promise of a big order next year if you help them this year, one of the oldest ploys in the game. They're in trouble because they haven't developed a relationship with a supplier over the years, why would they be starting now. if they want to play the CL crapshoot, that is their decision and it's not up to anyone else to bail them out.

By the way when I get one of these big order promises next year if you help me now, from a potential new client, I have in the past 2 or 3 years told them, if I bring you 2 cords now, it's cash up front when I get there for the wood plus a 50% deposit on the wood for next year. In all cases I have used this line, to this day I've never had a taker.

Other question I ask and I could write a short, yet entertaining book, with the replies, "who did you buy from last year, (or who brought you wood earlier this year) and why aren't you calling them?"

Anyway, to the OP, you're running a for profit business where word of mouth advertising is gold. Don't take a chance on ruining your reputation for a sob story.

Take Care
when you write the book let me know. i probably have a few chapters for you.:laugh: + what Kevin said.

Whenever I hear these stories it makes me question why these broke helpless people who can't swing an axe haul a thing or have physical ability to handle the wood even use it as a heat source . It is completely unreasonable to burn wood and expect somebody else to do all the dirty work ..there's a guy in my town who has an active Craigslist ad on now that says he's unemployed and needs to make money selling wood but he needs* a gas powered splitter given to him ! Guess he has never heard of a splitting axe lol this lady sounds the same way ..an entitled Obama bot. ..they want it like Burger King fast free and for somebody else to do all the hard work maybe she wants you to load it in her stove each morning too. .. People need to realize burning wood is not for everybody.some people need propane or gas instead because they are too lazy to get off the couch

I recently offered to allow a person to come out & work helping to move wood into my shop's wood storage area in exchange for the wood they couldn't afford. My offer was declined. Imagine that? :rolleyes:

Back