oil seal installation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowtie

Gearhead
Reaction score
I been trying to research which is the better way to do the oil seals on this 028. I have the case apart, so is it better to install seals before putting crank and case together, or do I need to install crank and mate the case halves first?

I never took out the bearings. just replace oil seals and case gasket. ( low budget rebuild on a free saw )

Ok, Thanks! would you use a little silicone or permatex to seal the outside of the seal for good measure? I have read a few threads about it, and I believe stihl recommends it.

Stihl only recommends that on a couple of saws - the 028 is dry. Yes, the case needs to be assembled first, then the seals. Not even sure how you would do it with the seals in place unless you push/pull on the wrong places ;) (yes, you could possible use the case screws to pull it togther). In any case, read on...

as hi-octane touched on - be careful on the clutch side - the "step" on the crank is almost at seal level, and tends to pop the retainer spring off the inside of the seal. If you don't have a lathe to make the guide tool (taper sleeve that fits over the crank so the seal can slide past the step), put a thing roll of foil over the crank/step, slide the seal on, then remove the foil. If you do pop off the spring you probably won't notice for a while... it will work.. for a while..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back