Oiler question on Sthil 025

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonny580

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Just bought an 025, ( ya I know I'm not a Sthil fan,--LOL!) and it acts like a decent saw. VERY hard to start the first time but that was due to it sitting for who knows how long. It starts after 1 pull choke on then next pull choke off since I have reset the carb and did a bit of cutting with it.
Question is it seams to leak chain oil when its sitting like overnight. It makes a mess in that purdy orange case! lol! But anyway is the pump bad or is there some adjustment needed? seals in there? Like I said,--not that familiar with Sthil saws and have a lot to learn about them.
I always use Homelites, Macs., Echo's, and your favorite brand,---POULAN! lol! --
My ms 250 was a joke when I first got it, but after trial and error I fixed it so now it's a great saw. (still pulls hard but that is a ms250 thingy and not a big deal)
Bidding on a couple more Sthil's on a local auction so you never know what you will end up with. That's how I got the 025.

Attachments

• DSCN0686.JPG
    DSCN0686.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0687.JPG
    DSCN0687.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0688.JPG
    DSCN0688.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
funny, another thread complains his husky leaks and prefers stihl cause they dont
they will leak more in the case cause of the night/day temp differences and its more pronounced in case it seems, plus case will show 1 drop of oil too.
other than caps leaking and/or tank left more than half full will make them leak more

looks to be from the bar area as near as I can tell. Tonight I left it out of the case and set it on a plastic 5-gallon can to see if that makes any difference.
In the case it leaks a ton of oil out overnight.
Caps are tight/dry , tank about a third full.
Might have to dig into the oil pump area and try to find it. also I wonder if cases are a bad thing for any saw? never kept one in a case before.

looks to be from the bar area as near as I can tell. Tonight I left it out of the case and set it on a plastic 5-gallon can to see if that makes any difference.
In the case it leaks a ton of oil out overnight.
Caps are tight/dry , tank about a third full.
Might have to dig into the oil pump area and try to find it. also I wonder if cases are a bad thing for any saw? never kept one in a case before.
Five years ago I sold an 025 to a strong lady who loves using the saw at her poultry farm and she can start it. Each year I check on it and the last time I noticed oil in the case. I looked for the leak as you are doing and found a crack in the oil tank cap. It was a small crack in the plastic and really hard to see. I replaced the cap, cleaned up the case, and that solved the problem.

Latest posts

Back