Ok...can we talk about property damage on jobs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my view it comes down to the leadership of the Foreman. May also be a good time for drug testing.

You want to see a bill? Grind out 4 large Honey Locust stumps during a drought next to a house with open windows on a breezy day.
I would blame the HO for that one. But I could imagine. My in laws used to be foster parents, they had a autistic boy who cooked his army men in the oven. Plastic dripped down to the bottom and smoked like crazy. The soot that came out put a fine film over everything in the house. That green company with the vans, savepro? They where there for 3 days with 5-6 people. Always wondered what that bill was, what was the one for the stumps?

I probably have the most obsession about avoiding damage in my area. I can count the incidents on one hand worth noting from the last 6 years:
window, metal roof, wooden fence, bench, ruts.

I cut and tossed an over-grown cherry tree next to a summer home; last limb flipped over and bounced back, putting the 3 in. butt end through a sliding window.$600, and the owners replaced all the windows a year later (they were old metal frame ones, and I had to have the replacement custom made so it would match).

Did several take-downs and pruned a big fir adjacent to a log home and garage, both roofed with aluminum roofing made to look like tile and painted black. This was a while back, and I was still learning rigging. When taking tops out of the oak removal, I miss-judged the drop on two 20-30 foot tops and the tips brushed the roof; didn't think anything of it at thee time. Almost 2 years later, the owners called and accused me of denting their roof. I checked it out, and sure enough, there were around 20 small dents in a wide row leading down the roof right to the stump. I happened to have taken a "before" photo of the oak, and no dents. $1,480, only one company supplies and installs this stuff, located 4 hrs away.

I had my good climber take down a large beetle-kill pine. All went well until the top was rigged down; because he had used his favorite rigging scrap (mistake one) for the block instead of my new heavy rigging, when the haul rope caught around the block (mistake two) the scrap broke, and a thirty ft. top flattened around 20 ft. of wooden fence. Of course it was made of 5 rungs of 40 yr. old clear-fir 1 by 10 -- but I cheated, and used cheaper clear cedar to replace the wood. Around $500, if I paid myself $25 an hr.

I put my low-skill climber (since fired) in a modest sized-birch take down while I pruned a large oak nearby. I looked over when he was making his last cut: a 6 ft. piece around 18 in. thick , with a rope tied to it and looped around another tree --- which was around 90 degrees off the lay. Before I could get his attention, he cut it and it fell on a custom-made bench, but did miss the sidewalk formed in concrete 3-D Escher designs (fish). He blamed the groundie who held on to the rope, causing it to swing a bit and miss the sidewalk, hitting the bench. Luckily, it was really sturdy, and I just had to replace some slats (clear cedar 2 x 4 s). I guess that made sense. Around $200 to fix the bench, if I had paid myself. I don't want to think about what the sidewalk would have cost to fix.

Ruts were made all over a lawn under a big plane tree, put there by a lift truck run by a sub. I had to fix the ruts before the college graduation on the same patch of grass a month later. I brought in soil, cut out the turf by hand with a shovel, and leveled around 5000 sq. ft. Only sub I ever fired -- he not only destroyed the lawn, but did a hack job pruning the plane and another large red oak. I also had told him to meet me on site so that I could oversee the work (and see his paperwork), and instead he came on the weekend without telling me. Turned out he didn't pay into workers comp because all his workers were "family"--- after I told the college that I would make sure that the company was fully insured. $500 at $25 per hr. (if I had paid myself). Same guy makes hat racks all over the area, and sends poorly or untrained climbers to do take-downs he can't get to with his lift truck.

I broke a plastic flower pot Saturday only thing we didn't move bounced a piece right into it. I am amazed how magnetic bird feeders and flower pots are to wood I thought they nonferrous when made of plastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, over the years I have done my share of damage and probably it was just getting in a hurry. I tell people it isn't that we don't mistakes, it is how you deal with your mistakes.

I'v done some damage over the years to be sure, but not on a regular basis. Before I start a job i try to eliminate most of the risk I can. Putting up plywood over windows moving things that could possibility be broke, rigging things if I feel it not a 100 %. We get jobs because we don't brake stuff. Sure sometimes sh_t happens, but if its happening on a regular basis, some one isn't doing their job right, or the crew has gotten lazy and not taking the proper steps to avoid breaking things.
I can sometimes make trees and limbs do amazing things, but I'll never risk something because I think I could swing the branch past it, or do a perfect snap cut. Lots of guys take risks, you shouldn't gamble with other peoples property just to appease your own ego or to save a few minuets. One mishap, distroying some thing of value can eat up all the money plus some on a job.
When I do brake something I feel really bad so I try to do every thing I can not to brake something.

I have damaged a few things over the years. A gutter, had a branch swing bad take out a power wire which cause about 15 homes to not have power, knocked down a house service wire and smashed a garden nome, cracked a sidewalk. Yesturday I was chipping arbs for a landscaper and went to pull out of the driveway and tacoed the **** out of the home owners driveway with the front tire of my chip truck.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I'v done some damage over the years to be sure, but not on a regular basis. Before I start a job i try to eliminate most of the risk I can. Putting up plywood over windows moving things that could possibility be broke, rigging things if I feel it not a 100 %. We get jobs because we don't brake stuff. Sure sometimes sh_t happens, but if its happening on a regular basis, some one isn't doing their job right, or the crew has gotten lazy and not taking the proper steps to avoid breaking things.
I can sometimes make trees and limbs do amazing things, but I'll never risk something because I think I could swing the branch past it, or do a perfect snap cut. Lots of guys take risks, you shouldn't gamble with other peoples property just to appease your own ego or to save a few minuets. One mishap, distroying some thing of value can eat up all the money plus some on a job.
When I do brake something I feel really bad so I try to do every thing I can not to brake something.
A few minutes of risk mitigation before ya start, can save hours of pain later. I have gone to the extremes of removing a built in gas grill. It took about a hour, but was directly below the tree, I know it saves a ton of time not having to rig around it. I get a kick out of watching some tho, they will do everything they can to avoid hitting something below, like a bench, planter.........one of those shiny globe thingy's, instead of just moving the damn thing! We move every possible threat out of the way, even down spouts that are screwed in. They come off if any brush at all is going to go by them. If we cant move it, we try and protect it. I also use the hell out of plywood, it is a great protector.

I could not agree more, I think every tree guy is a show off on some level but jumping a log over a hedge just to make a ditch out of the yard not worth it. I have said many times I would rather rig it down in 1 foot chunks than damage anything. Fancy rigging can take time but it's pretty cool too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never broken anything on a job. I have also never pinched a saw, gotten my throw bag stuck, clogged the chipper, dulled a chainsaw, gotten the truck stuck, broken a window, broken a piece of flag stone, dented aluminum siding, put bar oil in the gas tank, broken a fence, cut down the wrong tree or hit underground utilities with a stump grinder.

Ya, I have damaged some stuff over the past 20 years but nothing too bad and its almost always when taking short cuts. If crews are damaging stuff weekly its just a matter of time before someone gets hurt or killed. I too move everything I can from the work area. You can do the biggest tree around and do the best job getting it down but its the final clean up or the broken flower pot from great grandma that they look at.

I have never broken anything on a job. I have also never pinched a saw, gotten my throw bag stuck, clogged the chipper, dulled a chainsaw, gotten the truck stuck, broken a window, broken a piece of flag stone, dented aluminum siding, put bar oil in the gas tank, broken a fence, cut down the wrong tree or hit underground utilities with a stump grinder.
Cut down the wrong tree, LOL. Gotta another quick story of one of our local superstars. I bid a job awhile back. They thought I was on crack with my price. The picked the cheapest. HO shows up at end of day and sees dude in another yard, cleaning up another removal. Figures he sold some work to the neighbor but notices his tree is still standing? Goes in house to change, gets a knock on the door right away and it is Bubba Hack. Bubba say he wants a check, HO is like "fur what?" Uh....."Your tree I took out".....with a duh. "Ya mean that tree that is still standing....." Other HO shows up and 1st HO hears him going phuckin nuts "W T F" comes charging over to Bubba, "who the hell told you to do that", on and on. 1ST HO, tells bubba he no longer needs anything, thanks anyways, shuts door. 2nd HO cooled off a bit, told Bubba that if he cuts all the wood into fire wood that he wont sue him or have him arrested. Dude was out there a long time cutting his ass off.
LOL! Bad day for bubba. This is the second time this year this guy has done this. He needs to buy some tape or paint!

I was in the ghetto of camden .... Sent there to take of a tree on a rental unit , worked for 3 or hours took care of it right and proper the rental owner showed up and said hey the tree is still there . I said no it's gone he said yea the tree 3 doors down from my unit is gone LOL he said well I gotta say nice job . I said and those bastards gave us water and thanked us an were really nice he said I would too if a crew would cut down a tree for 4 bottles of water !

I would blame the HO for that one. But I could imagine. My in laws used to be foster parents, they had a autistic boy who cooked his army men in the oven. Plastic dripped down to the bottom and smoked like crazy. The soot that came out put a fine film over everything in the house. That green company with the vans, savepro? They where there for 3 days with 5-6 people. Always wondered what that bill was, what was the one for the stumps?

10K plus, not sure on the final bill on that one, our Ins Co. took care of it. Guys doing dry stumps are sure to check for open windows theses days.

Yeah, its not a good feeling when you realize you've taken the wrong tree down. It was my mistake, I didn't ask the salesman to paint it. Did I mention it was a 30 year old Jap. maple?

Of course the home owner thinks the tree is priceless. I write up quite a few tree value estimates for Ins companies. Most of them are vehicle impacts, some are wrong tree removed issues.

Latest posts

Back