Ok guys, who burnt the most thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Close to 14 this year in a OWB and domestic hot water. Normally in the 9-11 range. I should be still burning but I have had enough, the propane is going now. Time to replace 1/2 of next years wood and finish the following year. We had 2 nights/mornings that were below -30 F. and a bunch in the 20 below range with days not above 10 below. My wood cutting buddie burned in the neighborhood of 25+ and was bumming wood off of me! WOW. Figure how much $$$ in propane! CJ

A modest supply of stored gas, and longer then no generator at all. Yeah, it would be nice to have solar panels and a bank of deep cell batteries...

Propane genny I think would be the ticket for a moderate long term use, say a month or two. It stores forever and you can own your own tank.

I have a 250 gallon one filled, it sits here, don't use it for anything at the moment, but no propane genny yet, just a cheap used gasser. I do have two wall heaters I used to run, but no need for it with wood.

Solar, you can start small for the price of a big screen TV. Or a toy quad, etc. A few panels, charge controller, set of golf cart batts ain't that much today, prices have dropped over the years. Inverter or not depending on what you want to run. DC appliances are out there.

Buddy of mine had a slick solar rig for his cabin, it was several panels on a frame, then a rolling box that held a few batteries and the controller/charger/inverter with the receptacles on it. Takes like 15 minutes to set it up off the trailer, and then plug everything in. Ran his whole whole cabin, or did, he sold the cabin but kept the gear. You'd walk in and couldn't tell he wasn't grid connected, TV, overhead ceiling fans, window fans (no ac, just fans) electric lights, all that. I *think* at the time all complete and built to be easy to set up like that cost him just under ten grand, but I know panels and such dropped in price a lot since then. Batteries though are still spendy. He would roll the cart into the cabin, then just prop up the panels outside, and snake the cord up through the floor. The cart he stashed under the stairwell, then plugged it into the house wiring. To get from the trailer up into the house he just laid out some supported planks like a track, so it rolled easy right from the trailer. The panels, two guys , grab an end, walk it over, prop it up aiming at the south, attach to installed grounding rod right there. It would have been doable with just one guy and a hand truck.

Dr,

I use those A LOT as fire starters in the boiler. They are a great deal. Use about 4 bundles if that per winter.

They work very well and are very overlooked at my Maynerds.

Great! I hope the price doesn't go up if demand increases. Then again, folks probably won't buy them if they get more expensive. But they are bug-free, compact, and convenient.

Looks like lows in the 30s all week here in SW Minnesota. Wife asked me last night if I was running the splitter today after work. Yep, cutting into my two cord cushion. Never burned this late in the season before. May 1st last year was my previous record.

Back