OK here goes...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sprung22

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I currently have baseboard heat.I live in a 900sq/ft ranch house.I do not have an existing furnace or duct work,all I have is the registers in the floor of every room.My question is this,I would like to put a wood burner in the basement to help offset the cost of the electric bills for the baseboard heaters if not maybe be able to heat the whole house.I am planning on buying a used cast iron unit similar to this http://www.vogelzang.com/browse.cfm/standard-boxwood-stove/4,13.html Is it realistic to think that the heat from this stove will be enough to radiate up to the first floor and heat it.If not which stove do you recommend.And cost definitely matters.Im trying to build this whole system for under $500 including the stainless steel liner.I keep the thermostats at 60 all winter so I don't need it super warm.

Thanks Steve Baker

I doubt you will be able to heat the whole house comfortably with this stove and simply radiant heat. I also doubt you will be able to install everything you need for $500.

My home is similar to yours, except I have a split level instead of a ranch. THe first thing I did was install a stove, as I only had baseboard heat, also. If I was still using that heat, I would keep the heat at 60 or lower, also. I installed a Baker woodstove in the basement. THe stove has a blower that pushes a decent amount of air, but not a lot. If I were to guess, I would say the blower moves ~100 cfm of hot air through the stove. Without the blower, I would not be able to heat my house this way, as the blower makes temperture regulation better. I have no ducting, so I heat the basement and rely soley on gravity to move air throughout the house. This setup has worked relatively well for me, as I can heat the house easily to 72º during the day/ evening, but the temps do drop to the mid 60's over night. This system results in a slow recovery when it gets cool, as the basement heats first, but the blower greatly speeds the time and also helps to reduce wood consumption and increase burn times.

I also had to build a chimney, which I used double wall stainless and attached that to the side of the house. The stove cost me $250 and the chimney cost $750.

Don't waste your money on a Vogelzang. They're cheap junk & dangerous. Keep an eye on the local trader & craigs list, find a used one from a reputable maker. You may even get luck and find some chimney parts. $500 isn't much of a budget, with enough patience and good timing you should stumble across something. STAY AWAY FROM VOGELZANG BOXWOOD STOVES!

So Mike your saying that basically I need a bigger stove with a blower.What model Baker stove is it and did you buy it new or used?

I think my stove is an eagle. I paid $250 for it, well used. I have put 11 more seasons on it and it is getting time for a new stove, as some of teh welds have now split and there are holes in the internal piping of the stove. I am guessing that my stove is about 25 y.o.

Whether or not you need a bigger stove, I don't know. I'm just relating my experience. I know the size stove I have, which has a fire box that is about 24" x 16" x 14" is just sufficient for my house. Including the basment, I am heating about 1600 sq ft. I know for certain, regardless of size, that I would have a very hard time heating the house overnight using just radiant heat. The blower helps tremendously and makes the whole thing possible.

For radiant heat, you are best heating the room with the appliance.

Mike gives great advice. Look for a better used stove on Craigslist. Also, I don't think your budget will cover what you want if you keep things safe. Safety First!! Whatever you do end up getting, I think it will greatly help offset your heating bills. Good luck!

Matt

My house is a 1000 square foot cape. I run an All Nighter Moe. This stove takes a 30 inch log. It easily heats my house, radiating through the basement and I am not using the blower. This stove would be much to big for my house if it were not in the basement. What I am getting to is that if your stove is going to be in the basement get the largest you can safely install. My basement can hit 100 on the really cold nights:greenchainsaw:

You can get a used EPA stove fairly cheap if you look long enough. We have a midsize regency that just heats 1400 sqft as a our sole heat source. Look for a midsize or large one. The small ones have to be fed often to keep the heat output up. You might be able to find used quality chimney pipe too but its the expensive part of a woodstove and for good reason, you don't want a chimney fire.
Can you leave the door open to the basement stairs? Are they near your living area? Its going to be hard to get heat everywhere but maybe a well placed fan will do it?

Sprung 22: Does your basement have a suspended ceiling, if it does it will reduce the radiant effect. It will help if you remove some of the panels directly above the stove.

900 sq ft is not much to heat with a wood furnace. My shop space is 780 and a simple wood furnace with a blower does very well. The furnace would do even better if I improved the insulation a bit. A craigslist score would be an acceptable size furnace in the $100 to $200 range. You may be able to get it cheaper if you post you are looking for one and you are willing to remove the stove (heavy and sometimes in basements).

You might be able to keep a close eye on craigslist and find used chimney, but be careful! The chimney should be inspected well, but also that stuff does not want to come apart very easily. It may also give you headaches getting back together. Don't ask me how I know. Check your local hardware store. We have a place that is called Menards that sells wood fire chimneys.

Lastly, when you are burning wood this winter you may find that you'll be keeping the house warmer than a bone chilling 60 degrees!

Not to be offensive, but what do your guests do? Where their carharts to your house?

Hope all goes well,
Marty

Outside of going with used chimney parts, your probably not going to get the chimney done for $500. Also keep in mind that many brands do not marry up to other pipe brands, so if you buy used, make sure it is a common one and if possible will cover the entire length you plan on running.

If your basement walls are uninsulated your gonna need to pump a lot of heat. Go bigger with the stove. Consider a 3+ cuft firebox to keep your reloads to a min.

Is it possible to locate the stove in the living area? Wood stoves are considered space heaters and serve best when located in the space you are trying to heat.

I hope the e-bay gods smile upon you and you find what you need.

My house is a 1000 square foot cape. I run an All Nighter Moe. This stove takes a 30 inch log. It easily heats my house, radiating through the basement and I am not using the blower. This stove would be much to big for my house if it were not in the basement. What I am getting to is that if your stove is going to be in the basement get the largest you can safely install. My basement can hit 100 on the really cold nights:greenchainsaw:

Yup. Go big!

Save money by buying used, not by buying cheap. See if you can find an old Fisher - they are just about impossible to break. You could literally burn a house down around one without hurting it.

Why not put the stove on the main floor ?? Unless you spend most of your time in the basement its not the place for a stove. Put it in the room that you spend the most time. The heat will find its way to the rest of the house(except the basement).

Lots of good used stoves out there that people are looking to get rid of for next to nothing.

Latest posts

Back