Ok.. so what is the best saw?....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Modify the question a little

I have no where's near the experience as all you guys, but I would like to modify the question a little bit. Not necessarily the best saw today, but the *most reliable*. Absolutely without any question the best built, never breaks, never need to do nothing but slap mix and bar oil in it, in what appears to be the consensus here around a "midrange" in engine size, can do most anything with swapping bars and chains around, so that this is a practical saw... Say you were going to go out and live in the wilderness forever, no parts anywhere, no dealers, etc. (OK, you have a huge fuel stash of magic fuel that won't go bad, last you the rest of your life...)

*Now* pick a saw.

reason I am asking..I might look for one.

TIA

I'm sorry...what was the question?

attachment.php

Pure breeds are one color:)

001-10.jpg

002-5.jpg

If i could have only one it would be my Echo CS-60S. I did have only one saw for about 10 years and that was it...Bob

I have no where's near the experience as all you guys, but I would like to modify the question a little bit. Not necessarily the best saw today, but the *most reliable*. Absolutely without any question the best built, never breaks, never need to do nothing but slap mix and bar oil in it, in what appears to be the consensus here around a "midrange" in engine size, can do most anything with swapping bars and chains around, so that this is a practical saw... Say you were going to go out and live in the wilderness forever, no parts anywhere, no dealers, etc. (OK, you have a huge fuel stash of magic fuel that won't go bad, last you the rest of your life...)

*Now* pick a saw.

TIA

Man that is a good twist to question but makes it maybe more difficult to answer.

I have an 026 that has run hundreds of hours (not sure how many -- maybe thousands) and never been in shop.. Still reliable old girl.. but a little smaller than I personally like for one saw. Good oil and good gas.. clean filter once in a while and it just keeps going.

Having said that lots of older ones have run a lot of hours..

Have to let somebody else fill in the gaps here though.. realistically I would only be guessing as to best saw both to work with and from minimal or no maintenance perspective.. Lots of good ones out there likley fit this ..

I really like the Dolmar 7900; the thing is when my son will be 3 yrs old, he will want to ride it all the time and not much chance of using it though.....so for an honest answer, in the 50cc neighborhood, I`ll vote for the 346XP.
If I would live in Pandora, I`ll go for the MS 880

*Now* pick a saw.

TIA
Would be a 346xp. Based on my experience... :cheers:

For felling, tree work.. bucking.. can you think of one saw that would or could work for just about any job. Now we will let you change bars if you like but not saws :)

Now it also depends upon what you do to some degree.. so has to be a bit of latitude here I guess..

Mine would likley be the 346XP or the 361.

Big enough to fell most trees (all be it some might be a little on slow side).. yet small enough to do most of the rest of the work..

Those would be my choises as well, for the same reasons - maybe the 560 or 562xp in the future, if the production ones performs like it looks so far.......

I'm like my MS261 a bunch. Ran it in frozen oak Sunday and it was just super, perfect weight/power.

*Now* pick a saw.

TIA

There is only ONE saw that fits that bill.
homelite XL 12

Model Profile: XL-12

started in 1964 and lasted 24 years and still many being used today..
everybody has or has had one and can attest to the fact they last forever..

Would be a 346xp. Based on my experience... :cheers:

You really think the 346 will still be a running cutting saw after it is 47 years old ??
47 yr old XL 12's are STILL out there cutting wood and probly will for another 20 yrs !!

Latest posts

Back