Okay, I'm addicted

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have admit it and cease the denials

002-6.jpg

This is a big stem that blew down. Simple job of working it up and not all that much wood - perhaps 3/4 cord. Problem is the shallow ditch in the foreground. Very wet (no water) and I have to back across it with my 2x.

I started this on Monday and chickened out, came home with a very small load of stuff I tossed over the ditch. It kept calling to me but that ditch...

Stopped in town and got a business card for my wallet of the local tow company in case I get stuck.

Now if one is willing to risk a $150 dollar tow bill (BTDT) for a load of wood that one doesn't need and can't sell for what it cost to make he just has to be addicted.

Did make a bit of progress this morning. Finished brushing it out and trimmed it back to that crotch. Then recalled that I left the 'puter on the 'net. Wife is disabled and needs the phone for her 'panic' button. Toss saws on truck and off home. Back up there in the morning to finish up. I did toss some brush into that ditch but still dubious about crossing it.

Harry K

Harry, can you not cut sections off that and pull them accross the ditch with your PU?

Have debated rolling them across but that is a long way to go. Doubt if I could pull a log with a 2x and no anchor to use to set up a 2x ma or more cable system.

Pull one round at a time? I may try that but it would be a slow process...so who cares? I have time to spare.

I have enough room to 'charge it' going over empty and same coming back loaded. A wheelbarrow? Now that would work but it would take forever. The cut stub showing is right at 20" and it gets a lot bigger fast. That grass was 6ft tall and dense so gives a good solid mat.

The real answer would be to leave it lay of course but... I am really only working this thing up to be out there with the saws playing. Already tired of sitting aorund the house and the bad weather hasn't even begun yet.

Harry K

Last edited:
"The real answer would be to leave it lay of course" :cry:

NO WAY!! I too am addicted...find myself sizing up everything that's down or standing dead these days.
Too bad you don't have a small 4x4 tractor for the job, that's what I use and love it! Be interesting to see how you got it all home!

I have carried rounds 30 yards, one at a time, plenty of times. We're all gonna die, and if you die carrying rounds of firewood you'll feel stoked as you drop. Beats the hell out of a nursing home.

It's done. Good thing the tree turned to junk not far past that crotch. The two small loads I got would have made one medium size load, perhaps 1/2 cord.

002-7.jpg

Got across the ditch fine but had to leave the front wheels in the ditch at first. Loaded what I had and noticed the fronts ahd sunk in a bit. Chopped more clearance in back and got it out with no problem. Ruts full of water. Cut and loaded until the log turned bad. Packed alot more brush into the ruts I had left and crossed more brsh on top. Backed up as far as I could force and gunned it. Right across no problem but did feell the right rear sink jusst as I hit the opposite bank. I think momentum is all that saved me...well having only a small load on probably helped also.

That was the last tree I had lined up. I guess it is back to knocking on doors again. Hate to put the saws up this early in the fall.

Still have a pile of locust to split and stack - drag that out as much as I can before cabin fever sets in.

Harry K

Back