Okay You Pallet Burners !

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paso One

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I know I'm not the only pallet burner on this site. How many have you burnt this winter ???

I have cleaned this earth of approx 5 pallets per day :) Since Oct 18th I have been filling the OWB twice a day 12 - 13 hours apart. Only built a few new fires per month due to nail cleaning and ash removal.

The wood varies from Pallet to pallet Some pallets from the orient that are made from mahagany or other types of hard wood obviously burn longer and hotter than the cheap pallets.

I 'm happy I've rid this earth of 450 pallets to date.

I'll have to stock pile at least 600 for next winter. :)

Sorry...I thought you said "Pellets".

I burned four pallets along with a Christmas tree a couple of weeks ago.

I have also burned 1 1/2 tons of pellets this season so far.

What does the nail removal entail?

I work for a machine shop and they pay somebody to break down the pallets and stack the pieces in a 30 yard dumpster,then they pay to have the dumpster hauled away.

If you had a forklift would it be possible to load a pallet with cut logs and then load the whole thing through the doors? Obviously wouldn't matter if you had a large amount of pallets.

Ok,then what do you do with the ash?I usually dump mine in a low spot in the woods.I dont really want to leave nails out there.

I thought the OP might have some super secret way of ridding the ash of nails...

Do you cut the pallets with a chainsaw, skilsaw or something else? Just cut them in 2 pieces or 3? Just curious.

A friend of my brother built a stove big enough to throw a whole pallet in for his pole barn. As far as getting the nails out my Grandpa had a screen with 1/4" holes in it that he sifted his ashes through before he dumped them.

Billy

What does the nail removal entail?

I usually just shovel them out or rake them over the grates and they fall into the ash tray.

But it is easier to shovel them. :)

I think they act as a heat sink :0 and radiate extra heat so I leave them in for a long time.

My door opening is 36 inches so I usually cut 10 inches off the top of the pallet and put 4 cut pallets in standing straight up and the cut pieces along the top.

Do you cut the pallets with a chainsaw, skilsaw or something else? Just cut them in 2 pieces or 3? Just curious.

The first 300 pallets were cut with a chainsaw. ( just off centre )

Then I realized chainsaws are for trees or round objects.

I simply stand all the pallets on edge leaning slighly and I take a skil saw and eyeball 10 inches and make a horizontal cut thru the top then I let the pallet fall flat on the ground and make a second cut.

Since the pallet is off the ground by usually 4 inches the saw blade is no where near the ground.

It is amazingly fast to make 2 cuts on flat wood.

You'd be surprised

I have gotten about 120 pallets delivered from a friend who does landscaping. They are heavy pallets that brick pavers come on. I cut them in 3 pieces. I burned a lot in the Fall and will cut the rest for March burning. I find they work great for getting your OWB back up to temp quick if you have let it get down too far. I throw 1 or 2 pieces in and put logs on top of those. :clap:

I seriously doubt I could maintain water temp in my owb burning pallets. How long of a burn are you getting?

I am maintaining 150 degree water filling every 12 to 13 hours however I am not always keeping the 5000 sq ft shop heated ( by choice)

The future use for the b0oiler is for radiant floor heat.

Currently I am using two Detroit diesel bus radiators as heat exchangers.

I could maintain 180 water but I turned the aquastat down to 140 and I seem to maintain the 150 as a result.

When I am working in the shop and planning on being there I usually keep her filled with wood while pulling the heat off. Water to air in my application is not as efficent as radiant floor in my other application.

Our outside temperatures go as low as -40 F so your mileage may vary.

The pallets bring the water temperature up fast as previousely pointed out by scootermsp

Last edited:
i use them to start my fire wood. but since i have a jotul 400, and not a boiler like you guys. i obviosly have to cut smaller, and dont burn as much

but i have burned alteast 5-7 pallets this year already

I work in a machine shop and we generate alot of pallets. They get stacked in the parking lot and one guy I work with gets paid $65 per 100 to load them and take them out. He has a large piece of property and burns them there in an open firepit. He usually hauls between 400-500 per month. The thing is, he has an OWB but doesn't burn them there. Says it takes too much effort and space to do so. He has about 200 acres of timber to cut on though.

Back