Oklahoma,AR,MO,KS,TX GTG (Next GTG 08/27/2016 ) Fort Scott, KS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a neighbor stop buy yesterday. I had heard about him, but never met him. He's 60 years old, and cuts firewood commercially as a side job.
80-100 cord a year.
Get this.

With one saw.
An old school 372 he bought in 2003.
I replaced the fuel line and filter as the line was wanting to leak when laying on it's side.

He said this would be season 13 on that saw.. I was real impressed with the compression and overall condition.
I told him whatever he was doing, keep it up!

Get this..
He buys new chains, and uses them till they don't cut any more, then puts on a new one. Said it saves time, and the guys at farm and home can't grind a lick. LOL....
I ground 2 for him and actually set the rakers. Look on his face was priceless.

That is almost unbelievable. How long does a chain last anyway before needing sharpened---1 cord or so?

Where does he get all of his wood?

That is almost unbelievable. How long does a chain last anyway before needing sharpened---1 cord or so?

Where does he get all of his wood?
1 of his loads is 1 cord. He says if he's very careful, and don't hit anything, he can get 5 loads from a new Stihl chain, and about 3-4 from an Oregon chain, before replacement. I believe him. He's extremely meticulous. He's just never had anyone really grind and set a chain proper for him. He was studying the chips from the chain I ground and put back on his saw. Now, how long will the ground chain last him? We shall see I guess.
I never asked where he got his fodder for cutting. Though I may put in an order for a load if he ever runs into some Hickory. I'm about out of smoking wood.

b6477e7c1da50e0e3a01a4fe3a04d2fa.jpg
now that's funny right there........

1 of his loads is 1 cord. He says if he's very careful, and don't hit anything, he can get 5 loads from a new Stihl chain, and about 3-4 from an Oregon chain, before replacement. I believe him. He's extremely meticulous. He's just never had anyone really grind and set a chain proper for him. He was studying the chips from the chain I ground and put back on his saw. Now, how long will the ground chain last him? We shall see I guess.
I never asked where he got his fodder for cutting. Though I may put in an order for a load if he ever runs into some Hickory. I'm about out of smoking wood.

WOW, 5 cord on one chain without sharpening!!!!! Maybe if he is cutting pine. It would be a stretch even then IMO. No way in Hades that I or any of you wood cutting geniuses get 5 cord out of one chain. Can you imagine how much it would cost Worksaw Collector to cut 1 cord if he replaced his chain everytime it was dull. He would have to charge $6-700/cord to make any profit.

His chain must have been producing dust when he brought it to you. He is going to like your sharpening skills. Expect to see him more often. What numbers/angles do you use on your grinder? Just for working, nothing fancy like cookie cutting?

I personally have some pecan if you are interested. I can get Hickory too (pretty sure I can). I don't cut it but can order it. It will be green and unsplit. I have a friend with BBQ restraunt whom has a supplier. At one time he told me he would get extra for me if I needed some. I can check on price of Hickory if you are interested.

What dl, pitch and guage he use. We maybe can make a deal on his discard chains.

I bet once he uses Matt's he will bring them all back to get sharpened. But if not, I bet we can help him out.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around a person that sells 100 cord per year and doesn't sharpen a single chain, just replaces them when dull.

WOW, 5 cord on one chain without sharpening!!!!! Maybe if he is cutting pine. It would be a stretch even then IMO. No way in Hades that I or any of you wood cutting geniuses get 5 cord out of one chain. Can you imagine how much it would cost Worksaw Collector to cut 1 cord if he replaced his chain everytime it was dull. He would have to charge $6-700/cord to make any profit.

His chain must have been producing dust when he brought it to you. He is going to like your sharpening skills. Expect to see him more often. What numbers/angles do you use on your grinder? Just for working, nothing fancy like cookie cutting?

I personally have some pecan if you are interested. I can get Hickory too (pretty sure I can). I don't cut it but can order it. It will be green and unsplit. I have a friend with BBQ restraunt whom has a supplier. At one time he told me he would get extra for me if I needed some. I can check on price of Hickory if you are interested.
I'm good on Pecan and Oak. The only variety I never run into seems to be Hickory, and it's one of my favorites.
I'll see if I can rid him of some chains.
But by the look on his face after running the one I ground, he may not want to get rid of them.
30 top plate/ 55 degree under cut on tooth.

I sold a 'rick ' of pecan in the 70s for $ 20. The man picked out ONE piece, asked me to cut it square , (8 x 8 x 20?) and mail it to South Africa. He paid the postage and left the rest of the rick. LOL

Said he was making little doves for necklaces.

I'm good on Pecan and Oak. The only variety I never run into seems to be Hickory, and it's one of my favorites.
But by the look on his face after running the one I ground, he may not want to get rid of them.

That is a good recipe. If he is careful which it sounds like he is he will easily get 4 + cord with a chain.

I have been using 25/60 on Oregon chain and 30/60 on Stihl Chain; and .025 on the rakers. I may try the 55 degree on the under tooth.

Latest posts

Back