Old Husqvarna Saw Identification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LFEngineering

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Alright, I just picked this saw up from my uncle. None of us have any idea what model it is. The serial number is 146460, but I haven't been able to decipher it. Anybody know what it is?

Maybe if you cleaned it up and got a pic with the top off would help:hmm3grin2orange:My guess a 140 or 240.I have an orange top on one of my 44's that came off a 240.

Last edited:
Ha, that was already though 1 round of cleaning. It's sitting in a simple green & penatrating oil bath now. Looks like your right the pictures of the 140s look just like it.

Nice little saws,most of the parts on the 140,240 and 44's interchange.Clean it up and maybe it will look like this.

attachment.php

They are indeed awesome little saws. Just picked up a real nice 240SG and the handles still heat!! This was to go along with 8-44's 6-whitetop 2-grey top and a 444. With 2- 240's waiting for me to put pistons in. If I could leave the Foredom alone (everything should be ported) "Right"!:hmm3grin2orange:
Shep

i agree.....it's a 140 or 240 maybe.....or even a 340....or 44.....or 444. but at any rate a GOOD'UN !
hope it works out for you.

If it has a metal handlle on it I don't think it would be a 44 or 444.Do you have a pic of a 340 from the late 70's or early 80's I am thinking and how many cc's?I never heard of that model.

Not too sure what to do with this one. From what I understand parts aren't the easiest to find & with out a chain brake it's not the safest saw out there. When I asked my uncle for an old saw to tinker with I was hoping he'd let me pick though the pile of 395xp's I know he's got stacked in a storage trailer. The plan was to try to resurrect a big bore saw from the pile of used & abused saws while at the same time showing my little cousin the in's and out's of a chainsaw. Needless to say the 1970's 40cc saw my cousin grabbed isn't the project I was hoping to work on, but a project none the less. I just hope we can actually get to fixing it, instead of spending all our time tracking down old discontinued parts.

Does anyone have a 340 or know someone that does?Same question for the 40.Just went on acres site and the 40 has nothing to do with the others.

That model number has been used on two very different 40cc saws, and Acres site is misleading in this case. :msp_wink:

More to the story: My cousin tells me that this saw was the one his father bought & used when he was going to school for forestry / logging.
Since then my uncle has gone from a pickup & some saws to one of the largest land clearing / logging operations in the area. Although he said there's no sentimental attachment it would be a neat project to restore.

I think the best course of action will be to tear it down & see what it looks like inside. Provided there isn't any major internal damage or excessive wear it should make a good candidate for a rebuild. I suppose if I get it up and running again swapping on a chain brake cover wouldn't be a bad idea.

Alright, I just picked this saw up from my uncle. None of us have any idea what model it is. The serial number is 146460, but I haven't been able to decipher it. Anybody know what it is?

This is a 140S.

It has oiler hole cut in the starter cover.

I have to say I'm very surprised with the condition of the internals. Typically any saw that makes it into the "junk pile" at a logging company has serious issues. My hope is that because it's a small 40cc short bar it was shelved for bigger & better saws. The one piece jug / head means no head gasket to leak. Also the the piston and bore look great so I don't see compression being an problem. My only concern now is the ignition. The starter pawls wouldn't engage when I got it so I couldn't spin it and see if it had spark. My plan now is to clean & reinstall the jug, spin it & hope for the best.

Due to work picking back up at the shop I don't see my cousin & I fixing this saw anytime soon. We decided rather then let it sit in a box for who knows how long we'd list it in the classifieds. Again guys thank you very much for the help identifying this saw. Now there's a chance it'll end-up at a good home.

http://www.arboristsite.com/classifieds.php?do=viewitem&itemid=1926

Latest posts

Back