Old Mac 1-46.Save it,sell it,or use it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolf57

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello room.I'm a new member from Southwest Michigan and really enjoy reading the topics on the equipment forum here.I usually spend time over at the Tool Shed forum at ?????????.com. but found this website in a post there.Your obviously more professional here with greater degrees of knowledge about chainsaws.
I've owned a couple Mini Macs for small jobs in the past,but will be needing a larger saw for an upcoming job taking down a 30' weeping willow tree and 6,25-40' white pine trees on my property.
I'm fairly proficient in repairing & maintaining my yard equipment and try to find the best deals on used equipment before buying new.I guess I'm a cheapskate but I've gotten some great buys on quality brand name power equipment over the years.
Recently i bought a very nice McCulloch 1-46 chainsaw with a 18" bar on ebay.Its a 1962 model.I don't think the seller knew much about it because it fired right up after putting fresh fuel into it,I only had to adjust the jets a little for it to run and idle properly.It starts on the first pull and it cuts like a champ.It looks like it has the original bar/chain and has never been adjusted much,the bar adjuster bolt mechanism still has the paint on the threads from not been turned.
I'm not a collector but just can't decide if I should keep this saw for its vintage value or maybe sell it for a profit to a collector.If its not worth much more than I paid for it,I'd just go ahead and use it with the care as it deserves at being 45 years old in this shape.The weight of this saw is the only thing i dislike.It will definitely give the operator a good forearm workout.

Any input will be welcome and thanks in advance for your advice.I've included the ebay auction link with it pictures and details below as when i bought it.Also the link to its specs.

lonewolf57

http://cgi.ebay.com/McCulloch-Chainsaw-For-Parts-or-Repair-NICE_W0QQitemZ330156032025QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item330156032025

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ed1d619968136da688256af40002b8f7/e08ca34c5d97747f88256b00006b1c6f?OpenDocument

I think that was a really good score Lonewolf! There'll be a few green-faced Mac fans out there I'm sure. I don't know a whole lot about Mac's (other than what I've gleaned here) but as a vintage saw that one appears to be in very fine shape for its age and from what I gather they are a torque monster (yes heavy, slow, and a bit on the smokey side @20:1 (you could probably up that to 35-40:1 with the modern oils but wait until one of the Mac pro.s chimes in)), use with extreme care and consideration. If you are going to be doing alot of cutting you'll be best to shelve the beast (or suffer potential whitefinger) for something newer with AV, until that time though let the machine do the work and wear good gloves (along with the usual PPE). Also, I think the .404 chain is getting scarce (or was that 1/2"?) so maybe someone could advise you on changing it out to something easier to find (would require drive-spocket, and compatable bar and chain). Hm, all I was gonna say was NICE!, got carried away, sorry ;)
Most importantly, work safe and get out and have some fun!

:cheers: And welcome to the site!

Serge

Last edited:
nice mac

thats a really nice saw you have there,I would definitely hang onto it and bring it out for a fews cuts from time to time.
it is worth alot more in running condition than not,using it alot will only risk it becoming damaged,take care of that ole girl you have something really nice there.

Last edited:
Several things: You aren't going to wear the thing out by using it.Those things are about as tough as they come..404 chain is not scarce ,although in .058 it is getting hard to come by.

It will run just fine of 32 to one or even 40 to 1 mix ratio using good mix oil.

As far as being heavy,that's in the mindset of the user.Of course they aren't nearly as fast as a modern light wieght saw but they aren't as slow as many would believe either.I might add that most people who make that statement have neither ran one nor even seen one,in most cases.

If you use it on occasion and take proper care of it,that old duffer will be around still in another 40 years.:)

Thanks Sprig and Mini Kahuna and Al.

I've decided.I'm gonna keep the old Mac for collector purposes.I dumped the fuel and ran it until it stopped.I pulled the spark plug and fogged the cylinder with WD-40.It'll stay in my 'mancave' in the basement on a shelf.It cleaned up really nice and looks better than the ebay pictures.
I never thought I'd display a chainsaw but its looks cool and will be a 'conversation' piece from now on.As Kahuna and Al advised,I'll get it out every so often to keep it loose for functionality.

Now I have to find one to use for anytime purposes.Back to ebay.:greenchainsaw:

Thanks again,lonewolf57

Last edited:
I have a 1-53 myself, witch is a very similar saw. I'm not positive but I believe that the carb on your saw is a tilotson, and carb kits are still pretty available. These things are 80cc reed valve motors(read TORQUE). They will not bog or los rpms in the cut like some more modern saws. You can exploit this fact by switching to a sprocket tip bar and 8tooth rim drive witch will pick up your chain speed considerably and not sacrifice much torque. Because these saws are common on ebay many parts are easy to find. Though a little heavy, I think they are well balanced and can be made to cut well. Don't be afraid to use it as much as you need to. I have a model 73 mac that is 52 years old and yesterday I used it to cut railroad ties all day long. These things are well built and if you maintain them they last.

Last edited:
Those big old Macs are a lot of fun to run and they are tough as nails. You should feel free to enjoy it, you won't ruin it. You're right in that it's probably not what you ultimately want as a daily driver , but they are terrific for the odd times when you encounter big wood. I think everyone needs a big old "heritage" saw, its a great learning experience.

Yeah, those old Macs still do the job, I watched my Dad's old buddy mow through some big spruce (36"-48") and 24-30" alders with an old Super 250. I gotta admit, when I saw this old guy pull out this ancient chainsaw, I didn't think it was going to do the job. I figured that it would take all day just to get it started. Three pulls, a blast of smoke and it settled into an awesome sounding idle, made my 036 seem, well, wimpy. 4 hours later, 13 trees on the ground, it didn't miss a beat, and it cut alot faster than I thought it would. I bucked with it for awhile, once you get the dogs in the wood, you don't notice the weight, I couldn't get it to bog, I tried. I had pics, but I took my eyes off the camera, younger sister deleted them to take pics of her horse:censored:

Ray

Here is a little tip I picked up from Mike Acres on the 80 cc reed valve Macs.

If you change them out to 3/8" rim drive,and run an 8 tooth,they seem to cut even better.I in fact did this on a 250 and it made a big difference in the cut speed,it doesn't slow down the least bit buried in the wood,just gets louder.

In the shed full of larger reed engine saws I have,87 through 123 cc,changing to the smaller chain did not affect them in my opinion so I left them .404.The larger ones all run .404 are on an 8 tooth so there is plenty of chain speed and they pull it quite well ,even a 36" buried in oak.

Nice score, I watched that saw and almost bid on it but I only have enough room for one 80cc Mac on my shelf. That one looks like its in real good shape, even still has the black paint slash on the bar.

Latest posts

Back