old Mac help ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mackdallen

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
okay, i got an old mac im refurbishing, i was told it was a 795, how can i tell exactly what it is ? like definativly identify it ? &also what is the biggest or best bar and chain it will pull ? really just leave any and all thoughts and opinions on this saw, i want to learn everything i can about it, yall are the pros so its open season on this thread, letter rip tater chip, tell me everytbing !

Check out the McCulloch thread in the "stickies" section. Lots of info in that thread.

i was thinking about going up to a 48". too much ? i have no idea what this saw can handle. i guess just reply to me like a small stupid child and explain everything lol bc i am clueless about it and its capabilities and characteristics.

its fully disassembled but the numbers are 746 or maybe 740 the third digit is hard to read and the number below that is 840. what might this saw be ?

i was thinking about going up to a 48". too much ? i have no idea what this saw can handle. i guess just reply to me like a small stupid child and explain everything lol bc i am clueless about it and its capabilities and characteristics.

Not to be an *******, but have you run that big a bar before ? And that big a saw ? Because I had a Pro Mac 700 with no chain brake, and it would a 34" bar, but the kickback was something else.

And 34" bar is a pretty good sized bar, too. 48" is just that more to get in trouble with if you're not familiar with them.

If it is a 795, the book I have shows that they sold a 36" bar as the longest recommended. Now, if it is a 795, it is around 100cc so you can probably run one bigger than 36", but again, I'd get comfortable with a 20" before I got into running something that big.

I know, a buzz kill. Sorry.

Is it a gear drive or direct drive? Gear drive a 840/Direct drive a 740. And yes, unless you have experience with a large saw/bar, use a smaller bar first

oh okay. and no ive never got above the about the 28 " class. this is why im lookin for tons of info. this saw is going to be mainly used on a chainsaw mill and rarely used on occasion for bucking large logs. i got plenty of time behind a saw, but where i live u really dont need bigger than a 24" bar. this is going to be a "just in case " saw to add to my arsenal.

its a direct drive, sprocket and clutch are directly attached to the crank.. what cc would that make this saw and what are its capabilities ?

It is more than likely a 740 which is 99cc and would pull and oil a 40"+ bar but would be more at home with a 36. The kind of kickback you would experience with these saws is linear. This is where the bar gets pinched in the wood and the saw has enough power to back itself out of the cut, which it can do in a hurry.

Is it a gear drive or direct drive? Gear drive a 840/Direct drive a 740. And yes, unless you have experience with a large saw/bar, use a smaller bar first
i think it must be a 740. but why would it have the other # too ? i guess the blocks where the same, just the drive differentiated them ?

McCulloch was well known to frankensaw their products. If the block may have been intended a 840 but change to direct drive before it left the factory?

McCulloch was well known to frankensaw their products. If the block may have been intended a 840 but change to direct drive before it left the factory?
oh okay, well whats ur thought and opinions on this saw ?

okay, i got an old mac im refurbishing, i was told it was a 795, how can i tell exactly what it is ? like definativly identify it ? &also what is the biggest or best bar and chain it will pull ? really just leave any and all thoughts and opinions on this saw, i want to learn everything i can about it, yall are the pros so its open season on this thread, letter rip tater chip, tell me everytbing !
Pics or else great doubt will be cast upon you.

Great saws. Have you ever ran an older McCulloch they can hurt you quick with the torque they put out especially on a long bar. Feet firmly planted and almost a death grip because when it bites it's gonna go. It's not going to cut as fast as a modern saw but the likely hood of bogging it down is low unless you are cutting something huge. Myself personally I'd run it and not make a mill out it.

Specs for the 740 via acresinternet.com
MANUFACTURED BY:
McCULLOCH MOTORS CORP.
LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, U.S.A.
SERIES OR ASSEMBLY NUMBER:
none
YEAR INTRODUCED:
May 1963
YEAR DISCONTINUED:
June 1964
ENGINE DISPLACEMENT:
6.04 cu. in. (99cc)
NUMBER OF CYLINDERS:
CYLINDER BORE:
2.165 in.
PISTON STROKE:
1.635 in.
CYLINDER TYPE:
Aluminum with cast iron liner
INTAKE METHOD:
Reed valves plus third port induction
MANUFACTURER ADVERTISED H.P.:
not advertised
WEIGHT :
23-1/2 lbs. (10.7 kg) powerhead only
OPERATOR CONFIGURATION:
One Man operation
HANDLEBAR SYSTEM:
Rigid
CHAIN BRAKE:
none
CLUTCH:
Centrifugal
DRIVE TYPE:
Direct
CONSTRUCTION:
Die cast magnesium
MAGNETO TYPE:
McCulloch flywheel type
CARBURETOR:
McCulloch with primer pump
MAJOR REPAIR KIT:
n/a
MINOR REPAIR KIT:
n/a
AIR FILTER SYSTEM:
Flocked wire screen
STARTER TYPE:
McCulloch automatic rewind
OIL PUMP:
Manual
OPERATING RPM:

IGNITION TIMING:
26 degrees before TDC
BREAKER POINT SETTING:
0.020 in. (0.51 mm)
FLYWHEEL/COIL AIR GAP:
0.010 in. (0.25 mm)
SPARK PLUG TYPE:
AC CS45T, Champion DJ8
SPARK PLUG GAP:
0.025 in. (0.63 mm)
CRANKSHAFT MAIN BEARINGS:
Ball
FUEL TANK CAPACITY:

FUEL OIL RATIO:
40:1
RECOMMENDED FUEL OCTANE:
Regular grade
MIX OIL SPECIFICATION:
McCulloch Two-Cycle mix oil
CHAIN PITCH:
.404 in.
CHAIN TYPE:
McCulloch
BAR MOUNT PATTERN:

SHORTEST GUIDE BAR SUPPLIED:
17 in. (43 cm)
LONGEST GUIDE BAR SUPPLIED:
30 in. (76 cm)
COLOUR SCHEME:
McCulloch Yellow with Black Air filter cover
PAINT CODES:

ILLUSTRATED PARTS LIST:

SERVICE MANUAL:

Great saws. Have you ever ran an older McCulloch they can hurt you quick with the torque they put out especially on a long bar. Feet firmly planted and almost a death grip because when it bites it's gonna go. It's not going to cut as fast as a modern saw but the likely hood of bogging it down is low unless you are cutting something huge. Myself personally I'd run it and not make a mill out it.

Specs for the 740 via acresinternet.com
MANUFACTURED BY:
McCULLOCH MOTORS CORP.
LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, U.S.A.
SERIES OR ASSEMBLY NUMBER:
none
YEAR INTRODUCED:
May 1963
YEAR DISCONTINUED:
June 1964
ENGINE DISPLACEMENT:
6.04 cu. in. (99cc)
NUMBER OF CYLINDERS:
CYLINDER BORE:
2.165 in.
PISTON STROKE:
1.635 in.
CYLINDER TYPE:
Aluminum with cast iron liner
INTAKE METHOD:
Reed valves plus third port induction
MANUFACTURER ADVERTISED H.P.:
not advertised
WEIGHT :
23-1/2 lbs. (10.7 kg) powerhead only
OPERATOR CONFIGURATION:
One Man operation
HANDLEBAR SYSTEM:
Rigid
CHAIN BRAKE:
none
CLUTCH:
Centrifugal
DRIVE TYPE:
Direct
CONSTRUCTION:
Die cast magnesium
MAGNETO TYPE:
McCulloch flywheel type
CARBURETOR:
McCulloch with primer pump
MAJOR REPAIR KIT:
n/a
MINOR REPAIR KIT:
n/a
AIR FILTER SYSTEM:
Flocked wire screen
STARTER TYPE:
McCulloch automatic rewind
OIL PUMP:
Manual
OPERATING RPM:

IGNITION TIMING:
26 degrees before TDC
BREAKER POINT SETTING:
0.020 in. (0.51 mm)
FLYWHEEL/COIL AIR GAP:
0.010 in. (0.25 mm)
SPARK PLUG TYPE:
AC CS45T, Champion DJ8
SPARK PLUG GAP:
0.025 in. (0.63 mm)
CRANKSHAFT MAIN BEARINGS:
Ball
FUEL TANK CAPACITY:

FUEL OIL RATIO:
40:1
RECOMMENDED FUEL OCTANE:
Regular grade
MIX OIL SPECIFICATION:
McCulloch Two-Cycle mix oil
CHAIN PITCH:
.404 in.
CHAIN TYPE:
McCulloch
BAR MOUNT PATTERN:

SHORTEST GUIDE BAR SUPPLIED:
17 in. (43 cm)
LONGEST GUIDE BAR SUPPLIED:
30 in. (76 cm)
COLOUR SCHEME:
McCulloch Yellow with Black Air filter cover
PAINT CODES:

ILLUSTRATED PARTS LIST:

SERVICE MANUAL:
thank you oh great one ! :) these ar the kind of replies im looking for :) personal.opinios and specs on the machine :)

All of the 740/840 saws were stamped with both numbers, as they both used the same engine block. Only the 795 895, and 797 saws were equipped with DSP, does yours have it?
This information and much more good stuff can be found in the Mac sticky.

Back