Old McCulloch won't idle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericdudeus

Reaction score
Hello -

I'm new to this site, my first post.
I need some help with my saw. It's an old McCulloch -not sure how old and I'm not sure how to identify it (no numbers obvious). It sat in storage for somewhere around 10 years. I sprayed some carb cleaner in the spark plug hole ad directly into the carb and it fired right up for a second or two. I dumped the fuel in the tank and gave it a little fresh, but it just wants to burn the carb cleaner. I tried adjusting the carb screws, but without knowing what they do, I wasn't getting any results.

The saw itself and two "knobs" right on either side of the throttle trigger - one is the oiler, and I really don't know what the other is - it's long and goes right into the carb. It also springs right back after it's pushed in. I don't think this saw has a choke on it - at least not one I'm used to. Anyway, I was hoping to get some tips on getting it to idle and maybe identify it.

Thanks!

If it has been sitting that long ,Id start by checking fuel lines and fuel and air filter.Make sure the lines are not dry rotted and cracked . Clean out the carb and check the diaphram in it . When you are getting that saw to fire off with carb cleaner remember theres no lube , so your taking the chance of running the piston and cylinder dry.

I am by no means an expert, but I think the "other button is your choke. When you push it in, you should be able to twist(roll) it to one side to lock the choke on. Pictures would help a great deal.
To start with, I'd pull the plug, dump the gas and pull the saw over a few times to clear the cylinder. Rinse the tank a few times with clean mix and dump. replace the plug and add some fresh mix.
Now, I don't know how far you've moved you Carb needles??? If you have no idea..... try to turn the one marked "L" all the way in(until it just seats) then back out one turn. Same for the one marked "H", except turn it out 3/4 of a turn. The third screw is your idle settting. That sould give you a rough idea to get it to run.
A local saw dealer may be able to help, or someone will come along here with better tips than I can provide.
Welcome to the site :)

Ok -

I found a number stamped on the case, but I am unsure if it's number 1 or letter I . The number is I2I26 R or 12126 R. The R is some distance away from the numbers. Does this help any?

I took the carb out and dismantled it to clean it up. I'd like to rebuild it while I'm at it, but I don't know if a kit is available.

So, if there is no choke, the primer is for start-up only?

Thanks for the tips so far!

Latest posts

Back