Ultrasonic cleaner experience

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Terrible. I keep the acetone in the shop in one of these. Expensive, but safe and convenient.

I use a lot of acetone, in small amounts, in my shop. I label and refill small, empty bottles from nail polish remover, courtesy of my wife and daughter.

Big cans stay outside in the garage.

Philbert

Similar things are true with a lot of chemicals: benzene, lead, asbestos, DDT, ethylene chloride, etc.

Work great for certain purposes, but have side or environmental effects.

Philbert
There is still not a replacement for asbestos that works as well in slot of applications. Same story with lead. Unfortunately both have very bad health effects.

Just for your consideration. As I said, I cleaned the troy bilt blower carb in the uc with a solution of harbor freight degreaser cleaner (the yellow green stuff in gallon jugs). I filled a jar with cleaner, dropped in the carb, and immersed the jar in uc filled with water. Experiment was not a success, as mentioned earlier.

Well, I left the jar filled with the cleaner sitting on my bench for a few days. Then I happened to glance at it and was shocked. This is what I saw. A coagulated gel looking substance at the bottom of the jar. Very strange. I filtered it through a coffee filter, and it left a goo. The carb was not that dirty. A tiny amount of grease and dirt on outside, but not enough to leave all this goo.

Attachments

• 20231207_083815.jpg
    20231207_083815.jpg
    986 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231207_083840.jpg
    20231207_083840.jpg
    946.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231207_091151.jpg
    20231207_091151.jpg
    658.6 KB · Views: 0
I've used simple green for years in my ultrasonic cleaner. The worst it will to to aluminum is etch it if you leave it in too long, ie like hours. 20-30% simple green in water heat on, usually leave it in for half an hour. Realistically if it takes longer then that to breakdown any gunk in the passages, you're just gonna need to replace the carb anyway.

Latest posts

Back