Old School Work Truck 1950 Chev Dump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racerboy832

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I always wanted an old truck and can use a dump truck. I have the chance to buy a 1950 Chev Dump truck. 20K miles. It's a small one like a 1500 mason dump in todays world. Dad is a old car mechanic for a living. I only need a truck when going to get firewood, moving some material around, etc. Maybe one day a month. Anyone out there ever use one of these vintage trucks. It has a 6cyl in it. I have no problem swapping out to a 350. I just wonder are the frames strong enough for wood and gravel. It's gunna be more of a novelty then a real worker.

:camera: Would make you a fine work truck! No need to swap out the engine, just don't get in any hurry! Frame will be plenty strong enough!
Now you just need to post pics! :camera:
:cheers:

Fix er up and run it. Those old truck were built tough! I have a old 76 GMC 9500 with a 6-71 Detroit Diesel in it. I can't believe how much I use it! The only thing you might want to do is put power steering on it if it does not have it.

Billy

I have had a truck like that for many years. It will be fine, but remember a few things about it. The engine has babbit rod bearings and splash oil. So don't overdo it like driving 60-70 mph. 45 would be more like it. They are tough old trucks. Mine has 1 1/2 yard garwood bed. Use it like it is, it wasn't desighed for a lot of horsepower. ENJOY it

It will do you just fine as is. It probably will not do over 45-50 mph anyways. I have a 1949 Dodge 1-ton dually with grain box that I use occasionally. I also know someone who uses a 1950 Dodge Power Wagon. That thing is a beast and will carry anything anywhere and has never been stuck. The older, the better as far as I'm concerned for wood haulers.

I have Power Wagons now, but I used to deliver wood in a 1941 1 1/2 ton Ford with Marmon-Herrington 4WD.Should have probably been in a museum.Lots of grain trucks for sale around here.I think re-doing the brakes is job #1, as they were marginal when they were new and at their best.An engine swap, along with a better rear end ratio would probably help keep you from getting killed on the highway.

maybe switch ing to dual split brake cylinder, the rest I would just run it. Lots of mines and farms ran just find big load 'in their day', just a lot slower. You won't overload it. I hauled a lot of grain with 48 chev dump truck. kcj

You have (imo) three areas of concern

Brakes.. They can be a battle. No self adjusters and prone to leaks at the wheel cylinders.

Steering.. usually more like herding.

Engine oil..if it didn't come with the optional oil filter,you need to change the oil MINIMUM every 1000 miles.

No worrys hauling or pulling most loads.Its geared to make that easier.

The thing I like the most is no Computerized nothing. My F350 is a Pain in the butt. As little as i'm going to use the truck i'd rather have something that I can work on myself instead of relying on a computer to figure out the problem

Go for it, with eyes open

They already mentioned some of the features of a 60 year old truck.
I might elaborate a smirch...

The "stovebolt" six would do the job. If you wanted a upgrade with a few minor changes it should be possible to drop a more modern engine in there. Stay with the 6 cyl.... think 235/250/292

The transmission should be the venerable 420, with a parking brake on the back of the transmission. Very deep granny in that one.

Check the tires/wheels. They could be split rims, and a odd size as well.

Did we forget the 6 volt electrical system?? If it works, let it live.
if it doesn't.... swap out time!

If it was me, I would consider having a functional museum piece.
Keep it all origional, and in great condition. But use it! It is a truck after all, and was designed to haul things around!

Those old trucks are just the coolest thing around IMO. My pride and joy is a 1951 International L130 which is a dual-wheel 1-Ton type. We also have a bigger version which is a 1962 International R220 for the bigger loads. Have to watch the loads with that one since it only has 501 cubic inches of motor and LOTS of gears. Goes like a bat but gets 5 MPG on its best days. Luv dem old trucks. You get that old Chevy and show it some moderation in load and speed and it will do you fine, and with waaaay more "style" than a newer one.

I'd be tempted to put a 12V Cummins 5.9 in it. Find yourself a first gen Dodge and swap it out. The nice thing about the 12V's is that are strictly mechanical - no computer to worry about. You would get confounded looks at stoplights from the old guys that know better.

Old trucks are cool.

Don

Old Iron Is cool , It dosn't matter what flavor it is. Driving a vintage vehicle and cutting wood is a big +.

My neigbor up north just got done ptting a 1950's cab on to a 70's 4X4 running gear. The bed dumps and is used for delivering firewood . I think I will take some pics the next time I am up there.

Beefie

My wood hauler is a 1956 F-350. It had a PTO dump conversion done on it in about 1960. I put some cab- height sides on the flatbed and it does a great job. Slow, with a 4 speed stick and 4:86 gears, but lots of fun. I've hauled 3800 pounds of scrap in it, and the helper springs weren't even close to touching.

I'm not familiar with the brakes on the Chevy, but plan on replacing all the wheel cylinders, master cylinder, and the rubber lines. They don't hold up well over time.

My wood hauler is a 1956 F-350. It had a PTO dump conversion done on it in about 1960. I put some cab- height sides on the flatbed and it does a great job. Slow, with a 4 speed stick and 4:86 gears, but lots of fun. I've hauled 3800 pounds of scrap in it, and the helper springs weren't even close to touching.

I'm not familiar with the brakes on the Chevy, but plan on replacing all the wheel cylinders, master cylinder, and the rubber lines. They don't hold up well over time.

You know that, now, you must post pictures.:clap:

Back