old sears ah-47, starter help needed,tnx.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roncoinc

Official Stihl Disser
Reaction score
Got this saw with the starter all messed up,rope broke off inside etc.
took it apart and the spring was "sproinged" already..
i thot a pawl was missing but looking at my other saw it has only one also..my other one is not exact same starter but it does fit..
they are diff enough i cant use one to compare to the other..
the main problem seems to be a small spring that hooks into the pawl..the other end of it is bent and looks like it may go where i have placed it but the spot were the end is now has a bevel to it and the end of the spring wont stay there..there also seems to be no way to keep the spring in the shape it needs to be to keep tension on the pawl..
there is also the "mystery" part that dont fit anywhere..
if somebody had a picture of how the spring mounts and the mystery part i would be most thankfull.
this is on an early sears that looks just like my U4g but has no on/off switch,just a metal tab to short out the plug :)
tnx

attachment.php

If i had to guess. The mistery part goe's in
the hole where the rope goe's so the rope
is not agains't the sharp edge of the hole in
the pulley. Looks like a mark there the same
size as the mistery part on the pulley.

Lee

Lee
:agree2::agree2::agree2:
I see them called, ROPE COLLAR, or FRICTION COLLAR in a couple IPL's

Lee

Oh man,,,the grommet !! yes,not part of the starter mechanism..ok.
now how about that thing spring that hooks to the pawl ?? i cant for the life of me figure out how to hook it up so it stays in place and works the pawl..
would an IPL show this ?
how about a pic ?
tnx

I've got an old sears saw with an AH-47,
if no gets you an answer by this weekend,
I will dig it out and post some pics for you.
:cheers:

I think I may have one of those beast too. Will check tomorrow. But if it's the one I'm thinking of, the recoil is fubared too. See what I can find......

Thanks guys..
This saw belongs to an older fellow that cant cut anymore but he would like to see it run again..it would please him just to see his son start it up once in awhile..the old memories kind of thing :)

Thanks guys..
This saw belongs to an older fellow that cant cut anymore but he would like to see it run again..it would please him just to see his son start it up once in awhile..the old memories kind of thing :)

You are really building that karma up....:clap:

Will go down in the shop and see what I can see.

Edit: well I'm no help. The recoil on my old Sears is different and in pieces in a baggie. Sorry. One of these days I'll have to dig into mine and I will be in the same boat............

Last edited:
You are really building that karma up....:clap:

Will go down in the shop and see what I can see.

Edit: well I'm no help. The recoil on my old Sears is different and in pieces in a baggie. Sorry. One of these days I'll have to dig into mine and I will be in the same boat............

Well aint that sumthin :(
would think that with all the members here SOMEBODY would know how this thing went together and where that spring went..
when you get to yours if it is the same as mine i can send you a pic of what i have if it would help..
tnx for checking anyway,,appreciate the effort..

Well aint that sumthin :(
would think that with all the members here SOMEBODY would know how this thing went together and where that spring went..
when you get to yours if it is the same as mine i can send you a pic of what i have if it would help..
tnx for checking anyway,,appreciate the effort..

The "cover" piece, pawl and circlip look identical to mine but my pulley is completely different. The shaft that the pulley mounts on is fubared, screw broken off in the end. Will have to deal with extracting that before I can try to put my recoil back together. Even though my pulley is different I suspect the pawl engagement works roughly the same. I have a coil, compression type spring in my "kit" as well, I assumed it went under that "cover" piece. You got one of those??

The "cover" piece, pawl and circlip look identical to mine but my pulley is completely different. The shaft that the pulley mounts on is fubared, screw broken off in the end. Will have to deal with extracting that before I can try to put my recoil back together. Even though my pulley is different I suspect the pawl engagement works roughly the same. I have a coil, compression type spring in my "kit" as well, I assumed it went under that "cover" piece. You got one of those??

Yeh,,my other on is similiar but diff,,thats why i cant use it to fix this one...
the castings the pawls sit in is diff..
post a pic and i will see if it is the same as mine..
tnx..

Here's a pic of mine. I believe it goes like it sits, except of course putting that cover piece on and installing the circlip. By hand assembling and spinning it I see how the pawl engages, but it would seem to just hang out there. Don't see how it retracts..... seems like it would clack, clack, clack......
attachment.php

Here's a pic of mine. I believe it goes like it sits, except of course putting that cover piece on and installing the circlip. By hand assembling and spinning it I see how the pawl engages, but it would seem to just hang out there. Don't see how it retracts..... seems like it would clack, clack, clack......
attachment.php

Thats how MY starter is,that type..there is a spring that hooks into the pawl near it's bottom and the other end winds underneath inside the plastic and catches.. you need that spring..it looks similiar to the one in my pic.
if you find the spring i can take mine apart to show how it goes.
so it looks like i,m still stuck.. :(

Thats how MY starter is,that type..there is a spring that hooks into the pawl near it's bottom and the other end winds underneath inside the plastic and catches.. you need that spring..it looks similiar to the one in my pic.
if you find the spring i can take mine apart to show how it goes.
so it looks like i,m still stuck.. :(

So I'm missing a piece is what you're tellin' me. That figures. So it (spring) catches the pawl then wraps around the shaft in the semi-circular indent, underneath that tin cover piece? Or does it just wrap inside the pawl's indent? Maybe I can fab something out of what I've got on hand.

So I'm missing a piece is what you're tellin' me. That figures. So it (spring) catches the pawl then wraps around the shaft in the semi-circular indent, underneath that tin cover piece? Or does it just wrap inside the pawl's indent? Maybe I can fab something out of what I've got on hand.

Yes,the spring should have about the same shape as in my pic.
one end will have a square "u" shape to catch the bottom of the pawl..i cant see where the other end hooks to..
probly why i am in the plight i am,nobody wants to take one apart with the circlip and springs and maybe have a prob with re-asembly..
wish i could find an IPL..

So, you figured out where the spring hooks onto the pawl (square hook?), the spring looks like it then wraps the shaft. Sure it doesn't hook the other end on the tin cover piece? What does the other end of the spring look like?

BTW, try Sears support site for the IPL. I actually found one for mine by plugging the model number in, this was only 2 years ago. Yeah, I was surprised they had one for such an old, out of production unit too. The diagrams are pretty low quality, probably scanned from old paper documents, but better than nothing I suppose. It's kind of funny, not like Sears is going to have those parts in stock anymore.........

Latest posts

Back