old sears saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

germy01

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have been looking for a bigger saw. 7900 or 372 but really can't afford it right now and would not need it for much. Do you think this old sears could be brought up to speed for cheap and is it worth it? it is listed for 50 bucks on craigslist. The add says it hasn't run in 10 years but not froze up.

probably a crap shoot......... It may turn out to be a decent buy IF you want to do some work on it first. Ten years sitting, probably with mix residue in the carb you're at least going to have to clean that out and possibly rebuild. Probably a host of other things to do before actually using it to cut with. If you're into the project aspect of it, go for it, but if you're looking for something to cut with next week I'd pass.

I picked up a similar vintage Sears last fall at an estate sale, haven't messed with it yet due to other more pressing projects, but will someday. So can't give you a review of how well they perform. Also parts availability may be an issue, Sears website did have mine in it's database with available IPLs, but actual parts could be another story.

Some of those old sears saws had the ah58 motor=95cc and rated at 7hp. I have one and though it aint a rocket it will pull a long bar comfortably when you need it. The ah47 isn't too bad either 77cc 5hp but not nearly as strong. Good luck.

Kinda a crappy picture but it looks almost Homeyish. I don't think 50$ is too much but as pointed out above, check it out thoroughly, especially compression (and pull the muffler if the guy'll let ya and check the piston for scoring). Don't pull it over or try to start it with any old mix in it either, if you want to try and start it disconnect the fuel line and hook up a long new line into a container of mix (probably safe at 30:1 with the new stuff), just my wee thought on this, and that parts might be rather scarce, what the heck at least go check it out! Oh, if its what Hoss says it might be than ya got a beast for sure :D

:cheers:

Serge

I have been looking for a bigger saw. 7900 or 372 but really can't afford it right now and would not need it for much. Do you think this old sears could be brought up to speed for cheap and is it worth it? it is listed for 50 bucks on craigslist. The add says it hasn't run in 10 years but not froze up.[/QUOTE

If we had the model # we could tell you the cc of the saw but its a crapshoot for sure if it is worth the work and cost to get it up and running in a useable and dependable cutting saw. Pioneerguy600

Back