Old STRUNK chainsaw.. looking for info, chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, a ten year old thread that is still on topic.
Must be a record.
I have a Strunk Custom Pro and SpeeDemon that were my grandfathers and great uncles.
They don't run and are down on the list pretty far right now.
The ads used to say, "Strunk will cut 'em off the stump", or something like that.

I would like to see some pics of the sprocket too. Often times various NOS spurs will surface with no box or no product # or the manufacturer has been out of business for 50 years. There are quite a few interesting sprocket variations out there. They could make a neat collection of their own.

I have a lot of gear and direct drive sprockets for all make of saws in the 50,60,70's. Also have a 5 gal. bucket of 7/16 direct drive sprockets. I imagine the only place for them would be the junkyard!!!
chainsawlady

I haven't been here a third of the time this thread has been here.
Top notch to getting it done!!!

I have a lot of gear and direct drive sprockets for all make of saws in the 50,60,70's. Also have a 5 gal. bucket of 7/16 direct drive sprockets. I imagine the only place for them would be the junkyard!!!
chainsawlady

You may want to sort them out (if you can) and then post some pics. You'd be surprised how many people would probably contact you to get their old chainsaws back in operation. Heck, I know I would have!...:cool2:

Update on the old Strunk I've been working on:

- Chain drive sprocket is back on, as is the bar, and the new chain. Chain is a little tight when I rotate it by hand, but it doesn't 'stick' like it use to, so that's a positive.
- Have been working on cleaning out the gas tank of the old shellac deposits left over from the prior owner's not draining the gas when he put it the saw up for storage. Fuel petcock was plugged solid, and the tank had a good layer of shellacing in it - finally got all that cleaned out the other night. Will be installing an in-line fuel filter between the tank and the carb to catch any little pieces I may have missed.
- Doing some research on the Tillotson carburetor as I suspect that will be the next area I'll have to rebuild / clean out. Any thoughts on parts / gaskets for this part of the project?

Appreciate the help and encouragement!

Steve

Last edited:
It can be rebuilt fairly easily. What is the model #? Most likely a HL-xxx. If it is it will be really easy to rebuild! I am sure you can get he rebuild kit from a sponsor on this site.
Jonathan

chainsawlady

I'd sure be interested in a few .404 gear drive sprockets for Homelite and McCulloch saws. Same with rim drive and/or .404 spur sprockets for a Homelie 900D and a Mono/Wards WD60 (that's an obscure one I know.......wish I at least had the Oregon or Herr part number). Will PM you some more Homelite part numbers soon Joyce!

.404 sprockets (8 tooth) are available from Discount Marine in Bark River, MI. Ask for Sherwood 906 466 2180.

The same sprockets work on 10 Series or the large frame saws.

Mark

Thanks for the info Mark. Now if only D.M. had Homelite .404 gear drive sprockets. McCulloch gear drive sprockets will work on some Homelites with a little work however.

chainsawlady

The Remington Bantam sprocket/drums are especially hard to find in good condition.

View attachment 211344
attachment.php

They have a hub that fits inside the crankcase and the seal rides on it.

Oregon drum #10619 is contained in a kit with a special bushing and rim sprocket.

No kidding. He only charged you for the welding rod. You got a good friend there!

+1. Hope you bought him a 6-pack & a pizza too!:msp_biggrin:

I'm really curious to see what the Strunk drive sprocket looks like. It would be something if someone had a NOS replacement sprocket collecting dust, not knowing that it was the one that Steve was searching for. I've got a couple of odd-ball sprockets which are so old that the wired paper shop tags, containing the saw model application, have simply crumbled into dust. I think that a sprocket reference library would fit in well over at Magnus's site, right next to the chain section.

Still got that old Strunk - now looking for a chain drive gear

Well, it's been awhile since I posted.. 10 years? Time flies...

Still got that old Strunk chainsaw.. and been slowly working to get it back in cutting form during my copious free time. Found a 1/2" chain at a local shop that they had kicking around in the back for awhile, and they let it go for cheap (my type of people!).

However when I mounted the chain on the bar, I noticed the chain was "sticking" as I manually pulled the chain around to make sure it was on the bar correctly. Further investigation showed the "drive tooth" of prior chains had worn a groove in the drive sprocket which causes the new chain to bind up when its' "drive tooth" drops into that wear groove when the chain is rotated. I believe the old chain was just so worn and stretched that it didn't didn't have the issue..

I took the drive gear off with a puller, and it appears to be relatively straight-forward.. a drive gear with oiler holes drilled into it that get the lubricating oil that is supplied through the center of the drive shaft.

Now the question is: Where to find a replacement drive gear? Anyone have an old STRUNK laying around that they are willing to part out? Anyone had any luck brazing / welding in some replacement metal, and then maching the drive gear back to shape? Any other ideas?

As always, appreciate the help...

Back