Old vs. New

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weimedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have this really clean Homelite XL800. A 1966 era 82 cc saw. I put an 18"bar with a new 3/8 chain. I also have a brand new husqvarna 365 with an 18" bar....Which would you guess can eat through a 2 1/2 ft thick hardwood maple the fastest??

Its not even close. The Homelite does. Same chain size, same length bar, 35 years difference. Same weight..actually within 1/2 lbs. Claimed 5000 RPM difference 11,000 vs 6000. So what gives??

(The Husky has inertal brake, compression release, and uses HALF the fuel per hour...air filter stays cleaner longer. Even with al the gizmo'es the Homelite starts easier. The Husky is all stock, the Homelite I converted to 3/8 chain and have one more "tooth" than stock on the sprocket; 8 vs. the standard 7. go figure)

The Homelight is 25% larger displacement and broken in; the 365 is brand new. Are the chains the same brand, type and condition? Those old saws were very torqy at low rpm. If you were loading the 365 with the same cutting technique I can see no big surprise that the homelight comes out on top.

Not surprised at all

I have several of those oldies,some will out cut,some won't.The "big boy",in the picture[the saw,not me] has out cut about any imported saw,in this area,and it's no spring chicken,nor am I.:D

Awesome picture!

Thats about a foot or two larger in diameter than the tree my daughter & I tackled today. And my cut wasn't nearly as neet...I'll try to get a picture tomorrow.

Took it down with the Homelite XL800 and started blocking it & cutting the top for firewood with the Husky & Homelite.

We are milling plancks aprox 1" thick with my old McCulloch 797 & Alaskan mill. Started late so only got three planks. About 15-minutes a plank. Not really fast but REALLY loud!!

Both the Husky and Homelite have fresh Oregon brand chains with about the same time between sharpenings. And yes I try to load them a bit and the husky has to stay higher in the RPM's to be happy & the Homelite just grunts no matter how hard I push it. The Homelite looks to be a very low hour saw.

Does the old Homelite have reeds? Reed valve motors make a lot of tourqe and can be laoded pretty hard.

To weimedog:

Hi weimedog. I see that the XL-800 calls for 16/1 mix. I'm curious to what you run in that saw. My old saws that call for 16/1, I run 32/1 mix. I have a couple that call for 10/1 and haven't dicided what to run in them as yet. Probably some 20/1 mix to start with. I run MX2T Moble synthetic oils. Just wondering what you used. Thanks. Lewis.

I run 32:1 mobil one two stroke oil in all my 2-stroke toys. I've been watching the old McCulloch and it always looks clean and almost too dry....but its got hours & hours on it with this mix.

Big oak

Hi Weimedog: That red oak,is about 60" at the cut line,and about 40" at the small end ,and about 31 ft of log.I just got home from work[ 7 days a week],and am going to trim the ends,and make 2 logs,from the one.If I get it done,before dark,I will post a picture,or 2.

Old vs new

On the subject of old school saws vs new,it is like comparing a race horse,to a Clydesdale.I have a shed full of big old Macs,but just one big Homelite.I only have the occasion to use them a few times during the year.The newest I own,are Stihls{ 042,048],made sometime around 1980,and they are cutting fools,up to about 24".Above that size,I have found,the big old boat anchors,will out cut them time and again but,that is just my observation.The Homey,in the picture,has only been out cut once,in friendly jesting,by an 066 Stihl,in soft maple[20"],and was running a 10 tooth,with square ground chisel[ the darned thing was fast].However,the same saw,with a 7 tooth,and a 36" bar in oak,was a different story.To give you an idea of the size of that oak,the bar on the Homey,is 48"usable,past the dogs.I will put the rest of the pictures,in the correct thread.

Another plus in my opinion for those big old saws is they all had oiler buttons to add bar oil when needed. I know the oilers were sometimes a pain when the seals went but I wish some of the new larger models came with the oiler buttons.

Hey Al.
Not to change the subject but is that a Davis loader on that tractor? I have one and its a great woods loader.
Van

Yep

Not to change the subject,but it is a davis,on a to 20 Fergy[big bore kit].It is probabley as old as the tractor[1950],and will lift about 2500 lbs.,but would not lift one end,of the 14ft log[I am guessing,about 5500,to 6000 lbs]

I like the old big,smoking, loud and incredeble things.
"there is no substitute for cubik inches."
5-7000 rpm and ,404.

well i didnt take time to read all the replys to your question.. but u know the homelite .. in my opinion thats a lot bigger factor than gets much attention..
i got a feelin the homelite almost becomes an exstention of your hand..
without realising it your mind knows exactly how to use it without even thinking..after a couple of yrs with the
365 ,,its my bet u mite be able to bring
thier performance level closer to equeal..
the othe factor ,is the displacement diff..
in any case ,im real slow to change ,after i know a tool... for the reason i stated..
good luck

You know there is a lot to be said for your premis..and you are probably dead on. I do tend to load the saw more than the Husky likes and that puts the Homelite right in its much slower but very effective power curve.

Latest posts

Back