Old wifes tale

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.W Younger

ass kissing impaired
Reaction score
I,ve heard over the years that a tree struck by lightining won,t burn right and does,nt make good firewood.Wonder what the thinking is behind this? Over the years i,ve burned a bunch of em in my OWB but it will burn pretty much anything.I know that trees cut when the saps up like it is now take longer to season and this time of year is when a lot of lighting hits happen. Any thoughts?

Never heard that one but I hate cutting lightning hit trees. Usually the tallest one around and WAS a nice saw log before it was split four ways all the way to the stump. Easy cutting and splitting but all I see is a ruined saw log, LOL.

lighting cooks a tree its easier to burn tom trees

:agree2:

That would be something to tell an insurance agent trying to knock down the settlement amount "because the wood has a salvage value as firewood".

Unless the lightning turned it to ash, stone or jello it will burn fine. Tell them your place is now the dump station for all lightning struck wood. It must be cut to length and split to managable sizes before being dropped off at your location for it to be properly disposed of by you.

Last edited:
I got about a face cord of ash awhile back that lightning knocked down. Just going by looking at it I'd say that it was ok.

I've never heard that it is hard to burn but an old timer friend of mine swears it is bad luck to burn a tree hit by lightning. He is so scared by this that any tree on his wood lot that gets hit he will cut down and drag way back in or bury it so no one else will get it to burn.:dizzy:

Latest posts

Back