Older and Wiser

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I guess this may be a "come clean" type of thread, but it also may serve as a "think about it first" type of thread. I'm in my mid-40's now, and times have changed, but there was a time in my saw-wielding life, that decisions that were made left much to be desired. I'm referring actually, to partaking in libations whilst playing Paul Bunyon, whether alone or with a few friends. It was typical to load up the saws, along with enough booze to drown a horse, and head to our favorite cutting grounds full of #$%^ and vinegar. This was a normal routine. Cutting = thirst = booze. There were never any injuries that were life threatening to speak of, but plenty of close calls of various type. Not to say that we still didn't "try" to take precaution (I know that sounds a bit silly huh?), but there were moments where better judgement wasn't the norm. Hmmmm, I guess I was just reflecting on how maybe, I/we had some good fortune, and should count our blessings. Trust me, the old adage about getting wiser with age is generally true. Be safe.

the old adage about getting wiser with age is generally true.

Generally, but not really. Wisdom comes with knowledge and obidence and yes, I have done one or two stupid things in my lifetime and I'm not far behind you. How about getting liquored up on New Years, or any other time of festivites, then decideing it's the perfect time to get out the fire arms and sound or freedom/independance/general noise because WERE having a good time!:jawdrop:

Yea, maybe not the best time to shoot the shotgun, BTW, which milk jug do I shoot, the one in the middle or one of the two on either side?:confused:

How about getting liquored up on New Years, or any other time of festivites, then decideing it's the perfect time to get out the fire arms and sound or freedom/independance/general noise because WERE having a good time!

Gosh, I'm a died-in-the-wool Redneck and haven't done that. :jester:

There's something to be said for deferred gratification. I take one beer with me into the woods. Tastes better after rather than during. :cheers:

Can't say the same about splitting. I know I've had enough when the edge of my maul is off target more often than on the mark.

I'll be 50 in august.....will I notice a difference immediately or does it take a few days to kick in?
:popcorn::clap:

about 2 weeks......the first and most apparent is realizing that your time left on this planet is shorter than the time you've already been here...then the aches/pains set in at 50 1/2....:dizzy::dizzy:

I shudder to think about all the things I did when younger, wonder how I ever managed to live this long.
The sad part of it is, at the age of 42, I still wonder if i have any sense from time to time!

I shudder to think about all the things I did when younger, wonder how I ever managed to live this long.
The sad part of it is, at the age of 42, I still wonder if i have any sense from time to time!
:rock: Pretty much sums it up here also.

The exact scenario Dale described is how my Great Uncle Eddy nearly lost his leg at the knee when he was in his late 20s. The amazing part is that he drove himself (also drunk of course) to the hospital in an old Chevy pickup with a 4 speed manual! He never did quit drinking, but he did stop operating chainsaws and vehicles while doing so. He also walked with a limp for the rest of his life.

Last edited:
I'll be 50 in august.....will I notice a difference immediately or does it take a few days to kick in?
:popcorn::clap:

What you'll notice first, even before your birthday, are the damn AARP invitations in the mail. I've been throwing them out for 2 years now.

Concerning the original topic, I never crack open the first beer until I'm done cutting.

But when working on saws in the shop at home, the first thing I do is snap open a beer. :clap:

As a youngster I used to spend my time with Jack Daniels. We'd gop see Old Grandpa and all go hunting Wild Turkey together. Fact that I could have killed myself in the woods is one thing, that I could have hurt someone else while behind the wheel still haunts me. Good to be alive!

Have to fess up to sowing a few wild oats myself many moons ago of course, but I definitely don't drink and drive, and I cut alone out of necessity so I'd have to have a death wish to be out there tipping anything besides coffee or water. Whats the old saying? "We get to soon old, and to late smart".

Maple:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
LMAO, I just wish I was smarter when I was younger.

I grew up on a farm, riding bulls, horses, racing motorcycles/cars. booze, GiRlZs. I turned 40 and that winter my body said "You dum AZZ, I am tired:buttkick:"

Now, Atleast I can move:clap: kindof. Am I still a kid.......YEAH! Just raced a ricer and beat him:clap:

Being older comes wisdom, plus aches and pains, BUT........the kid does not leave:greenchainsaw:

Alcoholism runs in the family from way back. Most of us learned to control it (but not stop drinking ;)). As I was the one organizing wood cutting trips and usually supplying the saws, my rule was "no beer until we finish". Didn't stop the idiocy of drinking/driving on the way home though.

Even at our advanced ages now (76 down to the late 50s) when we get together the suds flow.

Harry K

Back