Olympyk 980 Woods Port

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would explain the modest increase in HP from 71 to 81CC.

Now I'd like to snag an 81CC top end.

Mine should be here today...

mtngun, I have/had thought about putting a 980 top end on my 970 but comparing the 2 IPL's, there are a few parts that have different part numbers. The P&C (different piston pin bearing numbers also) are obviously different. The cranks have different numbers and they name 2 different carbs.

There are other parts that are numbered differently also (cylinder gasket, intake adaptor assembly, cylinder cover, airfilter cover). They may be the same just numbered different for the 2 models.

Regarding the crank, I had talked to AS member Four Paws a while back about swapping top ends on these saws because he had did quite a bit of work on these saws and did some research. He told me that the 980 has a 2mm longer stroke, is 1mm higher into the cylinder and is 1mm lower into the case when compared to the 970.

Here's the 2 IPL's for you to compare. I'm not trying to be difficult, just stating what I've found and if I've missed something in comparing the IPL's, I can handle being corrected.

Kevin

I don't know squat 'bout much anything & especially Oly's, but I'll share what I've drug up & please feel free to correct any mistakes I've made.

970-94-2000 71CC(4.33CI)
3.8KW--14.3lbs-PHO

wrist pin-094500007

Muffler-09700091D

Most clutch parts are 097sumpthin, but the bearing is 006000300

clutch drum-097000207
rim-006100730

handle/tank rubber/"shock absorbers"-097000038A

carburetor-WJ-44B
-------------------------
wrist pin-094500007
needle cage-026400017

Muffler-097000356

handle/tank rubber/"shock absorbers"-097000038AR

carbutetor-WJ-72B
----------------------
980-96-2000-81CC(4.94CI)
14.5lb PHO

wrist pin-094500007
cage bearing-006000010

rubbers-097000038A

Walbro WJ-63
-------------

wrist pin-094500007
cage bearing-006000010

muffler-098000048

clutch drum-097000207
rim-006100730

WJ-89A &/or WJ-72A
---------------
Maybe too many hours behind the sdreen, but I thought my IPL showed the 70/71 & 80/81 as having/using the same wrist pin...

Naturally, higher numbers on the carbs in the later year models.

The IPL's that I posted do show the same part # for the piston pin, but different part #'s for the bearing...but the same pin should mean the same bearing. Unless the components of the bearing is different...not sure if that makes sense or not.

Kevin

Many of the parts on my 980 will interchange with CS62 parts, even though they don't have the same number. For example, the coils are the same except the 980's wire is an inch longer. Carbs have different numbers but will bolt on to either saw. Same filters, same inlet boot. There's a lot of standardization.

Thanks for enlightening me, Kevin.

Your welcome. Just passing along what I've learned.

Many of the parts on my 980 will interchange with CS62 parts, even though they don't have the same number. For example, the coils are the same except the 980's wire is an inch longer. Carbs have different numbers but will bolt on to either saw. Same filters, same inlet boot. There's a lot of standardization.

And thank you for that info.

Kevin

Olympyk-971-It has the grey trim, so I figure it's a 71 instead of a 70.

Left base, flywheel side 6 inside of a circle w/starbursts-Gilardoni 3

Right side base 315 one fin up 50

Top of the cylinder on the flat-6n C

WO(maybe WJ)44B Carb

low speed almost 1/2 turn from seated, High speed almost a full turn from seated

Ended up L 1 turn & left it there, High 1 1/2 & dropped it to 1 1/4.

Lost the allen head muffler bracket bolts so I guess that's my muff mod. The two screws in the case
still hold the bracket

Bore is 2 1/32" or 51mm marking, evah so roughly, an AL wire w/piston

No fitting for decompression valve, but it'll fire up quickly

A little dirty w/oil and sawdust, took the sides, top & muffler off and cleaned it.

Really looked in good shape. The 30 bar w/J72 chain was a different story.

Doesn't have much paint off the bar, but about half way down the bar has a dip wallowed out.

I saw it in the pic, yet hoped it was an optical illusion

No such luck so, I take a peek at the piston and chlinder walls.

They're scored, yet not bad enough to worry about it right now.

Went out and snagged my old Homie 20" B/C and slapped it on & fired it up.

A tad louder w/o the two bracket bolts. I took it to some seasoned hickory around 12" and was surprised.

The chain needs touching up, but it tore through fairly handily.

I need the two rubbers on the front, they must have wore them out while leaning
on the 30" B/C, a spare A/F & plug.

W/big west coast dawg I need to run a 2' B/C, but I'll touch up my old Homie 20,
That's found a new home, and bury it in the seasoned red oak trunk first.

The Oly is a keeper.

I watched the 481 on E-bay, but decided against it...

Looks like you've done a lot of homework on this saw. Glad you're happy with it. I've never run a 70cc Oly. My big OLy's are all older ones. You were looking at that 481 on the bay and so was I. All this talk about Olympyks is driving the prices up on them. I don't have a whole lot more than that 481 went for tied up in a my 272 and 2 running 264's that I got on the bay the last few years.

I have a 284, a 272, and a 264AF. The 61cc 264 is by far my favorite and best runner of the bunch. I thought the 284 and 272 would be better runners based on my experiance with the 264. They're OK its just that I expected a lot better. The 264 will run almost dead even with my 2065 J-Red even being down 4 cc in displacement. I have a NIB JD CS81 also.

There used to be a guy on here named 4 PAWS, who used to get pretty good results from modding the bigger Efco's and John Deeres.

Also wanted to add that the bigger Efco's made after 2007 [I think], run the large mount Husky bars. My JD still has the Homelite bar which I think is 81 drivers on a 24 inch bar. The 20 on a Homelite or Oleo Mac bar is 70 drivers instead of 72.

"All this talk about Olympyks is driving the prices up on them."

Is all the talk about Huskys driving the price up on them as well?

Prices aren't going down and folks are looking for a bargain that isn't junk.

The Oly isn't a 272, but it's tight for the price & cost 1/2-1/3 of what a used 272 would bring in the same shape.

What drove up the price on the 481, as far as I'm concerned, is that it looked good. You could read the labels on both sides, it had spark & 150? lbs of compression.

What else, in todays market, are you gonna buy in 81CC for 1 1/2 C-notes, less shipping?

I have too many projects and my Oly didn't arrive until after the 481 auction was over.

Sure, I'd like to have the 980/981, w/.2lb more weight for 10CC, a half a horse is a 10% increase, yet I'm happy w/971.

Looks good, save the slight scoring, fires right up, praise the lawd coz there's no decompression valve, and idles great.

I noticed quite a bit of slack w/Super XLAO bar & I bought that bar, so it doesn't have a whole lot of miles on the odometer.

Anyone change mounts to a different size? I wasn't impressed w/short shoulder on the mounts.

Cannon, as well as others possibly, has a 9MM bar, H1, that I'm considering for a longer bar.

I wouldn't usually try a 2' bar on 5HP, but the big dawg on this saw is about 1 1/2" so I'll look for a .050-3/8-24" bar.

Fed Ex dropped it off after 12 and that didn't leave me a whole lot of time to try some other bars while in search of a snug fit.

So, how much is the new in the box CS-81?

There's one on E-bay & it's already up to about 5 1/2 w/shipping. Sure it's new, but when you get within a couple of hundred clams of a Husky I'm bailing...

It might be 81CC, but the 576XP MSRP is 8 bills.

Besides, I have a new out of the box 390 and those 88's will drop them outa the sky...
-----------------------
There's one on E-bay & it's already up to about 5 1/2 w/shipping. Sure it's new, but when you get within a couple of hundred clams of a Husky I'm bailing...

It might be 81CC, but the 576XP MSRP is 8 bills.

Besides, I have a new out of the box 390 and those 88's will drop them outa the sky...
----------------------------------------------
The GB bar that came w/is 9.5MM.-3/8-30"--pro-top-2378-HV 30-58P

I haven't put it on coz I have no need for a 30 & the husky has a 28".

That 460 Ranchero came w/2' bar, so I'll slip outside & measure it since it's gathering dust after buying an 18...
(No go, the bar was 8.2?MM and even w/hoggin' it out the rear taper wouldn't allow for covering the oil channel.)

The 999F uses the large Dolmar/Stihl 14MM mount.

Last edited:
I was talking about a 272 Olympyk, not a Husky. The price has always been high on Huskys. If you want to look at my E Bay feedback I can show you what used Huskys are going for.

For the price that that 481 just sold for. I got 2 running 264F's A running 272 Oly that needed a clutch cover, and a parts saw 284, that donated all the pieces to my 272. All from Ebay I didn't mention that both the 284 parts beast, and the 272 both came with real good 24'' Total bars and chains.

So yea, may be the prices are going up. I'll keep a look out for the 81 you said is 5 1/2 Franks. I'll sell that JD for that much for sure. Like I said, those things were cheap at one time.

I have ran quite a few saws, and for the money, the 980 is hard to beat. Yes, it is a primitive chassis and air induction system, but it is quality built. The coil is Ducati! No frills, just pull and go. I don't know why the Oly's don't get more play round here. It's rated at 5.7 hp. In my estimate, that is a real conservative rating. Can't wait to finish the port job on my 2nd 980 and watch her cut!

nicksterdemus, about the bars for my 970.

The 24" Carlton Pro Champ bar (that I Pm'd you about) is 10mm...measured 3 places along the length and it averaged 10.26mm.

The 20" that came with the saw (no brand name on it) has 3 rows of numbers/letters. Top: E50R Made In USA. Middle: 42. Bottom: 630-205072. It measured 9mm...measured 3 places along the length and it averaged 9.35mm.

Kevin

Thanks Kevo! The Oregon Super XLAO bar and 3/8-.050 A1 Oregon chain that I took off of the Homey work great.

Just quite a bit of play & that's why I wondered about that 9MM Cannon H1bar that I posted. Even though It doesn't move when tightened I'd prefer closer tolerance twixt the mount & bar.

If the oil journals match, and they should, then I wouldn't mind running a file for a snug fit.
-------------------------------------

I sharpened the 20" chain and slung it off in 30" seasoned oak w/o any bark $ was quite impressed w/70-71(whichevah it is).

Efco new prices don't appear to be that much less than the main players, so I guess that's the reason, along w/no local dealers, for the lack of play.

Once used their value drops, but they seem to be solid if a little portly.

I'm not aying that the new in a box cs81 isn't worth 5 1/2 or more.

I'm saying that I can buy a new 372 XPW for about another 230 clams.

You snagged some good deals over the years & I hope you continue w/good luck.

You snagged some good deals over the years & I hope you continue w/good luck.

I've had help. Some folks might not agree, but I'm a God fearing man...not the 'scared' type of fear, the respect and honor kind of fear. I try to do what He requires of a Christian and I believe in turn He blesses me. I'm definitely not deserving...but thankful none the less :).

Kevin

Sorry for not following up on this thread.

The carb kit that I installed was the wrong one -- even though it was recommended by Walbro -- and made the Oly run inconsistently and generally too rich no matter how you tuned it. Also, I had accidentally activated the carb governor while cleaning the carb. That also made it run too rich. Those problems were written up in another thread.

Once the carb was fixed, the saw ran very, very well. It milled quite a bit of wood using a 36" bar, and power seemed comparable to 90cc saw.

The compression was pretty stout -- I never measured it, but I snapped the starter rope several times. :laugh: It'll get upgraded to an elastostart this winter.

However, the Oly continued to suck fines into the intake. I installed a new flocked filter, and that helped a little, but not nearly enough. I experimented with a thicker, softer, closed cell foam rubber seal around the filter. Sometimes it worked, other times fines still leaked around or through the filter. Lots and lots of fines, not just a little. I experimented with oiling the filter, and that helped, but there was still the leakage around the filter seal.

To make a long story short, I never found a satisfactory solution to the air filter problem. I think it is a very poor design, totally unacceptable for a pro saw.

As a result of sucking so much sawdust, it's lost some compression and will probably get a new piston this winter.

In the future, I will try to use the Oly only for cutting firewood, not for milling, because milling generates more dust than the Efco air filter can deal with.

For a piston you might want to try ebay..do a search on efco chainsaw and you will see numerous meteor pistons. They take a while to get here as they are from greece...but the guy is easy to work with and reliable. most of the time they are meteor but for my efco 952 I was sent episan which are the same as metoer i was told when i emailed him about it. either way top notch stuff.thanks for posting this thread...very interesting.

Latest posts

Back