On the job inury,are you prepared?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a great thread. I actually instruct CPR/AED/ 1st aid to my agency and train about 100 employees a year. That being said, I cut alone, and have never carried a 1st aid kit with me. Can't say why but that will change now. I am heading out again this weekend after a large tree and I will carry a 1st aid kit with me.

Uh, being the new guy, I ain't gonna argue. BUT those Kotex are sterile. Your right, you should ONLY use the unscented. You think thread is sterile? I presumed you had a suture kit, containing sealed, sterile sutures. The only place for needles and spool thread, is in a SHTF scenerio, and ONLY after boiling the thread. Cutting firewood is NOT a shtf thing.

I am only going to suggest you buy Vicryl sutures and ditch the needle and thread idea.

I also have cat gut sutures, that are used for sub-q.
I have no doubts you have training, but you never know, I might have a little myself.

I have a small kit I carry for vehicles, that will get me out of a situation quick. A medic bag is at home, next to my bug out bag, where it belongs. Are you going to carry all those supplies on your belt, away from your truck, when you are felling and sawing? To be truthful, you are not going to carry a medic bag over your shoulder.

When I said needles and thread, I meant the sutures and needles that came with the kit, sorry if I mislead you on that one.

As to the Kotex not being sterile, google "Are Kotex sterile" and you will find several dozen articles saying that they are not sterile.
Sterile is not a big deal in our case, we are packing a bleeding wound to buy us time to get to help. There is no doubt that a large abdominal bleeder is far more of concern, worthy of packing it with your tee shirt in order to get out and get help than to worry about sterile.
But in the scope of things, when preparing a med kit, pack it with the best supplies that you can find.One less thing to worry about.
Will you get an infection from a maxi pad?Seriously doubt it, and really isnt a concern in our case.

My med kit is now a two part kit.One large trauma bag resurected from my EMT days.Marked with a plain but recogizable blue cross.
The second one is a small pouch that I carry on my saddle, used only when up in a tree.I never take a job that involves climbing unless I have someone along with me, but I know acknowledge the fact that if I ran into trouble while in the tree, I am on my own until I can get down. Pouch consists of two 8x8 trauma pads and gauze wrap.
In my case, I generally park right next to where I am cutting, and really cant conceive the idea of not being able to reach the truck in the case of an injury.Sure,l may get pinned by a tree, etc, but a guy cant protect yourself from any and all occurences.

Oh, and about the new guy thing, Argue all you want! Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and there has been more than one new guy who has set an old timer straigtht on a few facts around here.
Shoot, im a new guy myself!

If you decide to stock the first aid box with kotex, make dang sure you get the unscented ones. Prolonge exposure to scented ones with a wound can give you a serious case of irritation.

No worry, they also make "girly stuff" to take care of that irritation caused by a Kotex pad. :jester: OK, just adding some levity to a serious topic. Please resume.

Good post. I am NOT prepared. No first aid kit at all. Most times I forget to even take water.
Ian

I would have to agree, I am not as prepared as I could/should be!
I use to cut alone all the time and still do a bit now. I have a cutting partner now and by comming across a couple first aid kits at the in-laws house, I realized I don't have one in the truck, do now. But I would always take water, my 40 cal. and of course, I have a Dual band radio in the truck, so getting ahold of someone is never a problem, but you can NEVER be prepared enough!:chainsaw:

Great post!:popcorn:

Back