One for the fellow bandmillers and circle millers.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blue stain and bettle kill have become almost as hot an item here in Colorado as "green building". What typically used to be considered a visual defect is now being marketed in some areas as "denim pine" and bringing a premium.

This is a good discussion for me. Hats off to the artists who make beautiful and imaginative cabinets etc. like the one on the first page, with denim pine and live edge wood. I actually prefer the character of that rustic look to the perfect modern alternative (which means particle board and glue with a veneer).

I'd always thought of the blue stain as the beginning of rot. I thought it wouldn't last. I'm now more educated, and will look at blue stain differently. I wonder if it will last in a moist climate like we have here? I think so, if kept dry. If not, nothing lasts anyway.

Thanks guys!

This is a good discussion for me. Hats off to the artists who make beautiful and imaginative cabinets etc. like the one on the first page, with denim pine and live edge wood. I actually prefer the character of that rustic look to the perfect modern alternative (which means particle board and glue with a veneer).

I'd always thought of the blue stain as the beginning of rot. I thought it wouldn't last. I'm now more educated, and will look at blue stain differently. I wonder if it will last in a moist climate like we have here? I think so, if kept dry. If not, nothing lasts anyway.

Thanks guys!

Actually the blue stain does not weaken the wood. Which at first...I thought was wrong.

I will have to post pics of the picture frames from the bug eaten aspen wood.

hey deeker i would mill in to bolts and end coat them wen some one calls mill to spec tom trees:cheers:

Your right. I use Anchor Seal on the ends. Cut them into the largest cants.

Stack and sticker them....and wait.....and wait...

Things are slow right now.

Kevin

blue logs

Deeker
years ago they did not dock us at the mills for "blued" logs but with the bad market in the last 3 yrs they don't want them at all.
in the summer we have to be careful with pine here.

Deeker
years ago they did not dock us at the mills for "blued" logs but with the bad market in the last 3 yrs they don't want them at all.
in the summer we have to be careful with pine here.

How are you careful? I mean, what steps do you take to slow down the bluing?

yes it stops when cut into lumber.
we have to be careful first when they are cut to lenght in the woods because if the ends are touching they will start to blue in about 3 days. if it comes a warm shower on them even in a pile they will blue. so in the summer we try to get them sold as fast as possible because pine logs don't eat good for supper.. I was always told this was the sap souring that turned blue..

My blue stain ponderosa pine was cut in late summer '06.

At 9000' + elevation. The nights are real cool, almost cold even in the summer.

My mill is at just over 4500'. Warm nights in the summer, sometimes the summer day time heat is up to 100.

My blue stain ponderosa pine was cut in late summer '06.

At 9000' + elevation. The nights are real cool, almost cold even in the summer.

My mill is at just over 4500'. Warm nights in the summer, sometimes the summer day time heat is up to 100.

heck anything cut here in 06 would be just a pile of rot.....

Latest posts

Back