One good thing about snowstorms...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mntn Man

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
is community. I love being able to help people out and 6 inches of snow creates a lot of people who need help. Yesterday on the way home from work, I tried to pull out a semi. Then helped push out a stuck car. Came home and since I live on a corner, snow blowed 2 streets of our block including the sidewalks to the door. My neighbors put up with my firewood and trailers junking up the 'hood fairly well and I like to promote goodwill with them whenever I can.

Driving around town, I see all kinds of examples of people helping people. Sometimes payment is offered, but generally not accepted. Usually you just tell them to pay it forward because the good feeling is payment enough.:clap:

And the bad thing about snowstorms is that I didn't get the things stowed away ahead of time like I should have. Now I have to screw around in snow and cold trying to get things put away for winter. When deer season comes it puts everything on hold, then you get struck with a good storm. It was in the 50's 2 weeks ago.

here in Northeast Ohio we get our share of the white stuff and I have to agree that in our area it seems that everybody is just out htere in it helping each other. I have a 4 wheel drive farm tractor and I usally go up and down the road doing the neighbors drives. They most all pay good. Usally they bring a cold beer out and give thanks ha ha.

Same here in Maine. It's a howling blizzard at the moment and I'm inside warming by the stove. Just plowed my drive and my brothers and sister and 3 neighbors. I too like the pay it forward theme. Looks like it's gonna be a long night though. :cheers:

man I can take the snow but when it gets that cold I just want to hide.

We just got like 8 inches of WET crappy snow. I put a new plow blade on the 4-wheeler yesterday and wow did I use it today. Got it just in time!
This one has the skids and spring and plows awesome. My old one didn't have any of that so I bent the blade in no time!

Any ways, I didn't get any of my wood covered, all me stacks are now under snow, soaked! I will wait till the rain knocks the snow off and then see what I can do.

Last year when we got the ice storm, I did alot of down tree removal for neighbors (to my benefit) and a guy plowed my driveway since my 4-wheeler jumped timing last year. It is a pretty close knit area.

I work for a small village and end up plowing or moving snow some way during a storm. I see lots of people helping others but sadly I see selfish people only helping themselves also. :)

Be careful who you help. Back in OH I saw a woman stuck in the parking lot of an apartment I was living in at the time. She was burning her wheels like there was no tomorrow. She must have literally been holding her gas pedal to the floor.

Out pops two college students to the rescue and one of them has a hunk of 3/8" plywood about 8" wide and 5' long in his hand. I think to myself "oh crud, he is going to stick that under the front of her wheel!" So as I ran to the other side of the apartment to get out the door and around the corner to warn him and I see him standing at the back corner of the car ready to push the car with the plywood under the front of the tire. Anyone that has a brain can see where this is going, right? Sure enough she floored it, the plywood snapped down and under the tire and got spit out the back right into the guy's thigh. It nearly severed his leg. Cut him right down to the bone and hit him so hard his face got planted firmly onto the trunk of her car.

She drove off wheels spinning madly and she never looked back to see him laying on the ground and his friend trying to help him. I dashed back into my apartment and called 911 and grabbed some towels to help stop the bleeding.

The worst part was the police said there really was nothing they could think of to charge her with at that moment. I never did find out if they held her accountable for what she did. She did not live at the apartment so I never got to see her or her car again. Good thing because I probably would have torched it.

Lucky you don't live in idiotville like I do.

Two years ago, I went down a house and blew out the neighbors driveway...he didn't have a snow blower at the time. Since it was a forecasted south wind/more snow and his place is open to the south, I blew it back off the driveway about 3 ft. The woman of the house actually had the audacity to call and chew my backside....THEN proceded to tell me that if any more snowmobiles crossed over the end of their driveway she was going to "knock them with a ####ing bat" (why she felt this pertained to me I don't know)!

Classy! REALLY classy!

As bad as it sounds....after that experience and several others in my little town that has the market cornered on gossip and stupidity, I don't help out much anymore.

is community. I love being able to help people out and 6 inches of snow creates a lot of people who need help. Yesterday on the way home from work, I tried to pull out a semi. Then helped push out a stuck car. Came home and since I live on a corner, snow blowed 2 streets of our block including the sidewalks to the door. My neighbors put up with my firewood and trailers junking up the 'hood fairly well and I like to promote goodwill with them whenever I can.

Driving around town, I see all kinds of examples of people helping people. Sometimes payment is offered, but generally not accepted. Usually you just tell them to pay it forward because the good feeling is payment enough.:clap:
:agree2::cheers:

Snow storms are boys night out around here. We all get all suited up and drive around in whatever moves snow drink beer and shoot the breeze. We live on a long private road so no worries about PUI (plowing under the influence). Even better when someone sticks their gear in the ditch and then the fun really begins. After we got the UNIMOG it almost took the fun out of it because it only requires one pass up and back to clear everything. I had to explain that I was taking the tractor back out just to tidy up afterwards.

I just wish I had it in me to just say "No". After 40 some odd years of plowing...I just don't want to do it anymore. I told all my customers last spring to please find a new fella to plow their yards this winter cuz I is all done pushing snow except in my own yard. Starting last week...I get one call...then another call...then another call.....all "Please won't you plow us again this year. We don't want anyone plowing our driveways but you!!!..please...please...please...."..ARGH!!! Here it is...first storm of the season...and did I get to relax beside the woodcooker with my dogs watching the snow fall...waiting for it to end...so we could go out and plow OUR yard only??..Heck no!!!..spent all afternoon plowing out driveways of my long time customers while they looked out the windows just a'grinnin' away.. Sheesh..

Alright..ok...It does feel good to be so well liked and depended upon, I suppose. Maybe next year my customers will let me retire.....maybe...maybe..

An occasional tow or push here, but my "claim to fame" is being the guy that can fix a winter's worth of bad plowing in March when the snowbanks start taking the mirrors off friends cars. I try to tell em, plow that crap BACK! But the 2 passes on the atv system then retreat to the house mentality takes over.

I do get paid well to move snowbanks with the loader, but hitting walls of ice all day long isn't the most fun you can have, and I always have to worry about what immovable object is hiding under there.

BTW, not picking on the good ATV plow guys, I love using mine, and keep the whole farmyard clear with it if there's not too much snow. Over about a foot of snow, and the loader works better.

MRN DAD, just sell the plow off the truck, and do your yard with the tractor or ATV, you can tell them you don't have a way to get to them then.

:agree2:
Been living this all week. Our power was out Sat through Tues, 24" of snow on the ground and temps down to the teens at night. My next door neighbor is a fireman and he was working a 48hr shift, so I cleared the street and driveway down to his house. My other neighbor was nice enough to make a gas run, the back of his Jeep was filled with gas cans. We all help each other out and it feels good.

There is always someone isn't there? In my case some folks down the street came up to their vacation house unprepared. They don't have a wood stove, had no gas for their generator and proceeded to get stuck at the top of my driveway. They then locked the truck and left it blocking my driveway, so I couldn't plow the road like I usually do. I used the snow blower to clear the road around their truck and eventually they came back but claimed they couldn't move the truck because there was snow in front of the tires! Well duh! Grab yourself a shovel and get that bleep off my driveway! After knocking over our the light post they then wanted to park their truck in my driveway. This was after my neighbor gave them a couple gallons of gas and offered to fetch them some more. Ugh, just go away!

Dok

Around here the guy with the biggest jumper cables wins. That is me! :D

I have used them 5 times in the last 2 months. Twice yesterday.

Latest posts

Back