One hell of a feeling!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HusqyStihl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just thinkin about a stranger who i helped out. Had a 28 year old saw, guy musta been 75 years old, loooved this chainsaw although hated by many hasn't run in a long time. Turned away by a Stihl dealer because parts were discontinued years ago. I got in touch with some friends here on A/S and pieced together all brand new parts, tore the saw down to nothing, rebuilt the saw in a little over an hour (not the prettiest saw ive seen) and called to say shes ready for wood. He was ecstatic amazed and happy as a pig in ****. Turns out he drove 3 hours for help with this saw and soon driving back for me to swap the spur to rim in a week or so. It was a trip but glad to see this ole guy so happy even tho others hate the old 028 WoodBoss. Cant imagine how many hours this guys spent with this saw in the past 28 years. Guess it was more than a tool for him. When youre cutting, you're alone, the saw cuts, and you think while it does its thing. Mostly about safety i hope, but other things cross your mind. Its not just a saw, its memories of memories regained for this guy, looked like he was gonna cry. It was great to be of service. Little does he know, with the little money he had to pay me, and a little of my own, i bought more parts for that saw that will keep that saw running beyond his time on earth, i replace alot more than it needed and got backup parts if he ever needs em. It was an amazing experience when i realized what it meant. A chainsaw is more than a machine or tool... Its a personal item. (Don't believe me, check the "Stolen Equipment" Forum)

All thanks to A/S and members for guidance, @morningman for most of the parts, @ray benson for IPL's & Service Manual, @chainsawr put a new tank on it awhile back and @Black Dogg, you were a small but meaningful chapter in this mans life as you were there showing me your climb kit when he dropped it off with the last hope he had in getting this saw running again. He tried to tell me how much it meant to him then but we were all chattin when he stopped quick. But upon pickup, he told me to say hi to "that climbing fella". All you guys really helped this guy big time. Never seen someone so genuinely happy. He must have emailed me 6 times in 2 1/2 weeks lookin for updates as to wether it would ever run again. Reminded me of a family in the waiting room of hospital while a family member was in traumatic surgery.

Oh, and of course, my gorgeous mail lady who delivers parts almost ever day, Miss Stayawayigotmace, i think with a name like that she's gotta be foreign, playin hard to get but i'd like to slip more than just a xmas card to her :baba:. Love the way i ask "anything for me? and she replies "multiple".... She hasn't seen multiple yet!! :cool: )

Just a small part of what this community can do. Thanks A/S!!

Nice story. Feels good to make anyone happy, especially an old timer.

Sure as hell does! Doubt ill ever look at a customers saw the same. God knows what it means to him. Always felt more for my own saws. Not anymore. Well, except for 1 :laugh:

I thought of my dogs i owned as a kid. 6 and 8 years they lived. 28 year living, breathing saw. You feed it, wash it, get mad at it, happy with it, hope it dont bite lol Somethings ya can bring back from the dead

I can reallly relate to a lot of the aspects you brought up in your post. First, I am a lover of 028's even though they are called names on here quite often. When you talked about "thinking" while running a favorite saw, i do that too. I think about my Dad, and all the cords of wood amd hours of memories we have in the woods together. Some of the jobs I have worked with my dad on, just plain sucked. Not so, the wood cutting. Being that the guy was old, I just hope that if I weren't around to help my dad, that a guy like you would! One hell of a great post...

I can reallly relate to a lot of the aspects you brought up in your post. First, I am a lover of 028's even though they are called names on here quite often. When you talked about "thinking" while running a favorite saw, i do that too. I think about my Dad, and all the cords of wood amd hours of memories we have in the woods together. Some of the jobs I have worked with my dad on, just plain sucked. Not so, the wood cutting. Being that the guy was old, I just hope that if I weren't around to help my dad, that a guy like you would! One hell of a great post...

Gotta remember, them ole fellers were once young too. Maybe i should use the word young, just hit 34 myself and im feeling older every year. Drop em, buck em, split em, stack em.... Gives any man quite awhile to think and not much time to talk besides screaming over a saw. Its a great time to just think deeply about alot of things. My pops never cut firewood until my stepmother wanted a fireplace years ago so he asked me to buck and split, bought a nice 27ton splitter and handed me a new Wildthing :laugh: so i started buying and building saws. I still maintain his Wildthing and when it stops cutting he just buys a new loops, he had no idea you could sharpen them but then again he puts maybe 5 hours on it a year, hates cuttin firewood, i swear he probably hides behind the stack of firewood and revs it to make my step-mom think hes workin hard :laugh: He prefers to find something else to do like jump on the Deere mower. Maybe his own thinkin time. But it works for me. I feel great from the exercise, and i can drift into deep thought about anything or nothing at all lol

For us old timers....

You ought to at least put up a pic of the mail lady!!!!!!!!

Shes new, and i actually put my biznit card slipped into the PO truck where she parks it down the road, i think that was the last move. Next day im out there smiling and a beast of a lady got out. Im not sure what to worry about more, that the hottie got my card and demanded a different route or the beast got the card, thought it was for her and took the route.

Oh baby jesus up in heaven (or whatever god is listening)... Bring back my 4pm delight.

Believe me though, if i did have a pic id be too busy and the callouses on my right hand wouldn't be from pull starts!

Oops did i cross the line??? :laugh:

Can't decide the mail lady or my good friend that is a girl but not girlfriend. We both just got thru bad relationships lately but weve been consoling each other the past couple weeks... Sorry, only pic. The rest are videos ;) Ive been slacking on saw repair lately but for good cause..

But she looks great in my pj's don't she??

image.jpg

Good on you for fixin' his saw.. I was given an 028WB, got it fired but not tuned up.

I have all sorts of equipment i run where I drift off into thought.. wanna go around a field 100 times while cutting hay?, plowing? you go on autopilot and think about random things.

Since you don't have a picture of the mail lady, how about a picture of the 028?

image.jpg

Missing vent valve and tube, hole in fuel line, air filter clogged and torn, impulse hose dryrot, carb WAY out of tune (tune screw almost fell out), idle screw no contact with carb by 1/4", fuel cap cracked & leaking, intake boot clamp loose, muffler bolt loose, handle missing screw, pull start cover missing 2 screws, and he had no bar nuts so i gave him a pair of mine off my 290 and ill order more. Threw him an extra chain and off he went grinning. I know he loves it, but hope he loves it even more now that its alive and well.

image.jpg

Sorry, all i got. PHO so i didnt take side pics. Neighbors got the same 028W/B that he wants gone through prior to fall and its MINT!!! I want it. I guess it would be bad juju to tell him the guts are shot and its not putting money into and parts are discontinued???? :laugh: If it matters, my neighbor is an ass and refuses to pay me the ten bucks he offered to fix his trimmer yet (replace entire pull start assembly, 3 screws) his reason... I didnt fix his next trimmer for 10 bucks when it was blown internally. Would have been cheaper to buy a new trimmer! I cut the loss, oh well

Thats a great story... I know the feeling you are talking about, makes you feel good. Nice reminder of how we should really treat each other when at all possible.

I'm just wondering, what parts are NLA for the 028?
We rebuilt one this spring and didn't have any issues finding parts.

And stories like yours are a "good feeling". We fixed a 61 earlier this week that had been in a flood, customer pretty much figured it was junk, but was hoping something could be done. Had it up and running in less than an hour.

Latest posts

Back