One hell of an oak tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i would truely hate to put my saw to a tree like that.
my grandpa use to drive nails all in trees . he wanted to make sure no body enjoyed cuttin them dn after he was gone.
not to mention all the things drove into the tree by kids thru the yrs.terrible thing to do to a saw.:)

Yeah but once it was down...yah can't put it back up right so might as well enjoy the wood. Of course that was probably to nice of wood to simply burn.

I might be wrong here but I thought a cord of oak weighed over 4,200 pounds. 20 cord would be nearly 85,000 pounds or 42 tons! They may have been face cords.

Well, the maple we just finished probably weighed close to 30,000 pounds. The bottom 14 feet weighed 12000 lb, and was 6 feet across. it was partially hollow, or would have weighed more. That is close to three cords just in the bottom log alone.
I'd say the tree contained 7-9 cord of wood. There is still over a cord at the jobsite, and two boom truck loads were hauled out. It took two boom trucks to get the wood out, one to pick it, and one to move it out of his way, and onto his dumpbed.

Where I live a cord of wood has a bunch of different meanings, depending on conditions; a few firewood guys sell wood split, delivered, and stacked...the pile may be 128 cu ft, but they can get 127 cu ft of air between them sticks...

I aint never seen an oak tree big enough to have that much wood in it, I can't judge. My first inclination is that there's something fishy with the whole story about the tree and about the saw.

If I had never cut a tree down in my life, why would I buy a $700 (more or less) chain saw to cut one down? What dealer would sell a new pro-level saw to a rookie like that, for a purpose like that with charging him an extra $10,000 for an insurance policy? If the tree was that big, it might have required a permit to remove...the guy was from California, wasn't he? In some cases out there, the permit also requires that the owner either prove he has the equipment and skills to do the job safely, or hire someone who does.

And then again, maybe we are dealing with a dot-com millionaire who used to have more $$$ than sense.

20+ cords, yah right! I took a 42" dbh oak down for a neighbor and got 8 cords out of the top 16 feet of trunk and branches. Left the bottom 12 feet on the ground with the carpenter ants and heart rot. Eyolf, he said the tree fell down, he was just going to cut it up. Sounds like a load of s#@t from beginning to end. How did he know the wood weighed 25 tons? Maybe it was all rot and dust, that weighs a lot less than wood. And why would anyone have to special order a 372? They are always a stock item at my shop and seems to me a pretty common saw. Sounds like a case of more bucks than brains (or at least sense)

About the Calif. Permit

I work next to a guy now that moved to TN from California. Said you couldn't hardly cut a tree without a permit. Although most did anyway. Forget the name of the community, (general San Fransisco area,50 mile radius or so.) I guess if you were gonna find an Oak like that, you might find it on the West Coast somewhere. 4' diameter x 24-30 foot before the split is a huge tree, here abouts.

I like "Newfie's" point, who would have to special order a 372? Most Husky shops carry that saw anyway. Next thing ya know he'll be telling us he found out it has been Walkerized and puts out 15 hp.:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back