One mans Clearwater musings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rupedoggy

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
For those of you that may be interested in knowing some of the personalities behind the names on this forum, and were not able to attend the Clearwater Revival, I would like to give my impressions;
1. Dennis was the perfect host. He tried to do everything at once and be several places at the same time. The amazing thing was that he did it! This guy is one energy filled person. The people hang around his shop like groupies after a rock star. He knows all the towns people and they of course know him. I never heard anyone in that town complain about anybody else. Thank-you Dennis!
2. Doug was a surprise for me. I had an idea he was a studious (root word study not stud) type from reading his posts. In fact he turned out to be the life of the party. If there was no party just hang around him for a while and there soon would be. He is very knowledgable in everything he wants to try and his pictures are so good at telling the story. Doug was generous to a fault and paid 10 times his share of the bills. His wife was perfect. Doug you lucky man!
3. Robert was also a pleasant surprise for me. He is the one that made the crowd stay and enjoy. His saws are so big that they didn't have any competition. I don't think they would have had any other big saws been present. His saw handling technique was the best I have seen and I learned a lot from him. He never tired of answering the same questions over and over from the spectators. A good man to know.
4. Rodger was only there for one day so I did not get to enjoy his company as long as I did the others. Rodger seems to be very curious about the finer points of chains, engines and saw racing. He is not afriad to ask questions to learn. His knowledge about the tree service industry is very evident. If I had a need to have tree work done around my home, Rodger would be a good person to hire.
5. Gypo was for me the biggest conundrum of all. I had expected a wild and crazy guy but got a quiet and pensive man. He is so thoughtful and giving. Everything that was done for him or even to him (and believe me that was a lot) was appreciated by him. There is no mean streak in this man. He can laugh at himself and with everyone else like no one I have ever met. Meeting you was our pleasure John.
BTW my wife says that the local perfume for Clearwater is DEET. I say any country that calls their money Loonies and Twonnies deserves to have it devalued! Mike ;)

Mike...lol..thanks for the kind words...but I truly do believe that you and your brother Jon, were the biggest shockers...lol...I truly didnt know what to expect...and got better than one could have ever imagined.....I hired one clown for the show and got three...lol....you guys made the show...

Let me tell all you guys..these Rupleys...or is that "Roopleys" are two incredible guys that would do anything for ya...they were the first on site Thursday evening and just asking what the heck they could do to help...and having fun doing it...didnt matter what went wrong or right...they were still in there making the best of it...I cant wait to have them back next year!!

Robert and John...well as you all know, we have met before...but they did things at this show I couldnt have asked for...they competed with some of my local boys in every event for all round logger....(ask Robert about the hard hit axe comp on Sunday morn) just because I needed a couple competitors to make things even.....and all they did was come to run saws....Two outstanding individuals...

Rog....well, we have met before..and he never ceases to surprise me...he finally shows up Sunday morning...with his mountainbike ready to ride the Burling pond....but he wanted me to go first...yeah right...lol...Monday morning...first one up...and ready to work on saws..while I am ready to work on my hangover...the guy does not stop...cannot keep up to him..a great tree man!

And of course ...Mr Babcock...not enough can be said about Doug and his wife...i could talk about his wife all night...but..I wont...lol...but seriously..as Mike said...he is the life of the party...with more knowledge than I could hope to possess about everything....and just a fantastic person....

You guys all gotta make it next year, I can promise you wont regret it!!

Dennis, your cousin and super gopher Nick deserves something, I have had this little Hot Rod saw just sitting around for some time and did'nt know what do with it, ya think Nick would like a saw of his own? if so I'll send it. Little bugger can drink ....eh. As Arnold would say I,ll BE BACK....Jon

Jon, both he and Jason(the timer) are talking about wanting to build saws..it seems the bug is spreading pretty darn quick...I know several people are building axe targets in their back yard already!!

I am taking Nick, Pink and Krista river raftig this summer for their awesome efforts here...

your musings

I have read as many of these posts as I could handle, and already the images and ideas of who is who and such. When those pictures were posted and labeled, some were quite surprising and interesting. You never know what you are going to run into out there. Just from behind a screen you can not see the world. I personally appreciate the work and information many of you have done so far, and look forward to enjoying your information forward.

I should have known it would be like that. I have another hobby and keep track of several people and what they have to say. I would swear this one guy was 6'2", 250 pounds, and could eat my lunch any day. when I finally had the chance to met him, he could have fit in my glove box! But, he could take a carbuerator apart and back together in minutes, blindfolded, and probably run better than when I had done it. He had my respect from actions and knowledge. JB

I met these two "mountain men", Mike and Jon Rupley, August 20, 1994 at a small logging show behind a small shopping center in the Camino/Pollock Pines area, just east of Placerville. I watched them pull a crosscut saw, back and forth, through a small log and it took well over a minute before the cut dropped. Afterwards, I went over to them and said "what happened"? Mike said "what do you mean, what happened, we cut the log off". I told them that I understood that, but, they didn't cut it off, they wore it off. I let them use one of my crosscut saws for the next day since it was a two day show. They called me the next evening after the show and said they knocked off 55 seconds of the previous days time. We have been friends ever since. In fact it was through the Rupleys that I met Ken Dunn and he has become one of my best friends. They are down to earth people and I can understand why they were such a hit at Clearwater.
Art Martin

Hi Art, you are totaly right about Mike, Caroline and Jon, they are truly really good people. They were really in their element and enjoyed every minute and were generous to a fault.
These two brothers put on a show that few will forget.
I on the other hand was not so candid at times and was rather suffering from stage fright and felt like my first day at kindergarten, lol, but when I walked up to that log with saws by Ken and chain by Martin and mashed it into that log and placed, it was quite a euphoric feeling. Hence, I went from a whiped puppy to a strutting peacock. lol.
The best surprise of all was when Babcock and his wife Jane showed up. They both contributed a whole lot and outdid themselves with their generosity.
The best thrill of all was the show that Mike and Doug put on at the Lakeside Restaurant, re-enacting the highlights of the show to us all Sunday night. I dont think any of us can ever recall having laughed so hard.
I will post later about the antics of Dennis, Robert and RB tree.
Thanks to all

lumberjack show

Hey john, I sent the old man up to Kapascasing to watch the lumberjack competitions. Was wondering if you were partaking?
The Olio Mac not up to snuff? Or just chicken turd these days.
:confused:

Hi Rolf, I am competing against myself right now, the trees are growing faster than I can cut them. Let us know how things went in Kapuskasing. Donald Lambert isn't a relative, but I always said I was him when he won a race, and why wouldn't I? How's the 357? Found me any woodfibre?
John

broken leg..., sucks1

The old bean is on his way in the motorhome..., he was plannin to stop at Lane's on the way for a sprocket drive and bar for that Huskey I swiped off ya. He's in love with that saw.

I busted my leg 3 weeks ago in a motobike race that has me parked in front of the processor for the time being.

We just got done a little bush locally, a 100 beauties you'd slobber over. As far as info for more John, It's kinda like chainsaws and wives, you don't lend em out.

Come on over some time, Ballinafad isn't that far for a nice cold Creemore Spring's.

Hi Rolf, glad the ole man likes the 357. If you said you had 50 ripe pumpkins, I would be up there like a dirty shirt.
Am taking a tree marking course, I guess I just need to lift my leg just so. Hide the good stuff with the goon trees. Watch out for songbirds, make note of microbrial action, basal area and skid trails. If all else fails dazel with brilliance, baffel with BS. We cant stop the stuff from growing. How's Big Harold?
John, The Enviromental Property Standards Officer

Hi Fish, speaking of boxes, it reminds me of a joke a guy played on a friend, he put a pair of panties in his friends lunchbox at the end of the workday.
John

A real pro forester knows that honey cruellers are also called skidder tires!

I agree, the biological, physical and chemical diversity that exists within every forest, must be recognized and managed professionally to ensure proper future regeneration and maintain needed enviornmental impact. What the hell did I just say?

Or...., I can log your bush real good. Trust me, I dun lots where I hardly left anything behind, so my big skidders can flatten everything in the road.

I agree John, education is vital in our industry. Particularly with the increased knowledge of the everyday landowner. I think enough folks have been shafted in the past and It's good that people know what they've got.

Come see the bush the bush we just finished, it's like a park now.
The landowner is gonna cash in big time in 15-20 years from now.
Much needed thinning ensures healthy future.

Good luck cause it seems you know wnat you're doing dude.

heff
firewood.ca

P.S. Big Harold is busy with his tree business. Nursery stuff, I think his kids are runnin' things now. He just lifts the big 700 lbs. balls and flips them on the truck I think.

Latest posts

Back