One Ring or Two?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eiklj

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just a quick question, not trying to start a war. (Husky vs. Stihl vs. Whatever.)
I am curious to learn why some manufacturers use 1 piston ring while others have 2.
I've heard 2 is more stable.
I've heard 1 allows higher revs.
This would apply to all 2 strokes, not just chainsaws.
Just wanting to learn. Thanks.
je

On most of the Husky's from the factory, the single ring pistons had a thicker ring than the two rings on a EPA 2 ring piston.

The second ring doesn't work properly anyway, because it isn't in contact with the compression pressure. It just adds some friction, for no good purpose.

At least that is how I understand it.

When I port a saw with two rings, it goes back together with one. There almost no affect on compression, and it can make a difference of a few hundred RPMs in the cut, due to less drag.

What do you do with the ring groove
that isn't being used?

The second ring doesn't work properly anyway, because it isn't in contact with the compression pressure. It just adds some friction, for no good purpose.

At least that is how I understand it.

The purpose of the second ring is supposed to be to reduce or eliminate piston contact with the cylinder wall.

I won't get into the debate of whether that is a worthwhile goal or not. Just keep in mind when altering a design from one to the other that the original designers made assumptions about lubrication, clearance, etc. based on the original format.

HF

Well, I've heard that it could be filled with a ring from a smaller piston;), but I simply leave them empty.

Yes putting a smaller ring on or pinning
it on both sides of the intake illuminates
a lot of spit back though the carb. You will
notice it more with saw not running a breather.

Like most I prefer one ring for all out performance. When it comes to a real work saw I like using all of the OEM parts that came with the saw. One has to ask the question, is 300 rpm worth the risk of a possible serous and premature failure? I personally don't like the idea of running one ring, on a two ring piston. Piston stability would be my main concern, along with possible buildup in the ring groove. I could be way off here, as I'm far from an expert.:cheers:

Pp655bp

Ive been having a hard time deciding weather to single ring my PP655BP or run both rings.. My question about the single vs dual rings is... Does the size of the piston make a difference? Run a single ring say up to an 80ish cc saw and use both rings or everything larger? Or does size make no difference?

Like most I prefer one ring for all out performance. When it comes to a real work saw I like using all of the OEM parts that came with the saw. One has to ask the question, is 300 rpm worth the risk of a possible serous and premature failure? I personally don't like the idea of running one ring, on a two ring piston. Piston stability would be my main concern, along with possible buildup in the ring groove. I could be way off here, as I'm far from an expert.:cheers:

I don't think a single ring in a double ring piston would be any less stable than a single ring in a single ring piston.

For a Husqvarna 372, the Meteor replacement piston is single ring.

Thanks for all the good feedback and information shared here. I appreciate it.

I thought maybe a long stroke or crank throw required 2 because of the greater crank/rod/piston angles seen in larger engines. Although I've seen plenty of short stroke, small bore engines with 2 rings.

I also wondered if 1 ring equals lower manufacturing costs, not to say 1 ring engines are cheap or of lesser quality.

I believe Remington used 3 rings on some models, but not sure why. Maybe that was the design standards of those days.

I suppose todays engine designers walk a fine line between durability, manufacturability, and profitability when creating products.

Latest posts

Back