One VERY happy camper in Ohio right now!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin in Ohio

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Looked on craigslist last week and there was a 090 Stihl on there which is mosts dream saw. Emailed the guy twice and never returned my email. Saw had 2 bars and was an older version but said it ran great and was willing to sell for $950.00(Still on there if anyone is interested, Dayton, Ohio area).

On a whim checked this morning to see if it was still there and it was..... along with another 090 in MY HOME TOWN. Called and left a message and 5 minutes later he called back. After speeding over to look at it I bought it. Stihl 090 AV, yes AV and it is MINT.

He was a contractor and said he had a job where they had to take down an over 4 ft oak tree. Company wanted $2500.00 so he decided to do it himself and his saws were not big enough. Said he bought it off craigslist from an older guy and the add said minyt. When he showed up it was in the box and had never had the bar on it!. No rework on it anywhere, just a factory new saw. This saw has only been used on that one tree. I'm in a dreamworld right now so excuse my giddiness.

Seller said his phone has been blown up since listing and calls from states away so if it was any of you guys, this is the saw. I can take the You Sucks as this is a find of a lifetime for me. No flips here.

MVC-001S_39.JPG

MVC-002S_31.JPG

MVC-003S_20.JPG

MVC-004S_16.JPG

MVC-005S_11.JPG

MVC-006S_9.JPG

MVC-007S_5.JPG

MVC-008S_3.JPG

MVC-009S_1.JPG

This is how I picked it up with no cleaning.

The thing that has me puzzled is that for an AV there really is no Anti - Vibration other than a rubber insulator around the handle. Later versions have that isolated plastic handle. Tag is screwed on as opposed to riveted so I do not know. Honestly at this point I don't care but would be interested to know from the experts. 7 tooth sprocket. China Knockoff? No made in Germany on the starter cover.

That is not a 090AV. It is a clean standard 090 with the bottom half of an AV air cleaner cover. There were two types of AV, an early and a later style. Both of which have handles that are consideranly different than the standard 090. Still, it sounds like a decent deal for you. Likely not a knockoff.

That is not a 090AV. It is a clean standard 090 with the bottom half of an AV air cleaner cover. There were two types of AV, an early and a later style. Both of which have handles that are consideranly different than the standard 090. Still, it sounds like a decent deal for you. Likely not a knockoff.

Thanks for the info. I've seen quite a few resto's and if someone did it to this one they are the best I've ever seen. Gray color is a little different as you can see but all the other details make it hard for me to believe that it was redone. Guy was seemingly upfront about it and I do not doubt his end of it. Why the mislabel is puzzling as he wasn't advertizing it as an AV. Said the only thing he did was buy a bar cover for it after taking it out of the box and installing the bar. ALL the bolts cad plating are spot on.

You can find out if its a clone by running it in 36 + inches of hardwood or 60 + inches of softwood. If it has balls and or doesn't break, its genuine.

Back