Only 8 more C.C.'s and 2 inches shorter, but much bigger difference

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlh26oo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
between 42 C.C.'s with an 18" bar and 50 C.C.'s with a 16" bar than I expected. Just tried it for the first time this morning, and I got over twice as far in half as much time down the fenceline with my new M.S. 260. This chainsaw by far exceeds my expectations. Starts easy and runs smooth (just a little rough when idling). No need for a screwdriver to open the fuel tank, the design of those flip caps that snick in and out so nicely is brilliant. The tension adjustment mechanism is very precise, the nuts that hold the bar on are huge, and you just have to turn them a little bit. Even how the chain fits more securely "into" the sprocket is an upgrade. It's still easy to carry and cut overhead, yet zips through trees that bogged the Craftsman down if I wasn't careful with it. Lost a little reach with the 16" bar, but that's O.K. because it was worth the tradeoff getting a little more maneuverability in what I'm doing.

Discoverd there's no need for the decomp valve (didn't realize just how easy the cord would be to pull), but it came with the adjustable oil feature that I do like- when turned to the maximum setting, the oil and fuel tanks deplete in synch (which is good because although you can see the fuel tank level, the oil tank is not transparent, so I know to fill it up at the same time). Ultimately it's making this work alot more fun, so thanks to everyone for all the information and advice. I don't think I could be any happier with my new chainsaw!

B.T.W I'm leaving fuel in it since using it the next day, but I understand when it's to be left several days between uses, you are supposed to leave the fuel tank empty- how do you accomplish that, just running it empty is sufficient?

I don't drain fuel unless its going into storage. It will hold in the saw for better than a month in hot weather and much longer in cold.

I give it the old scientific "smell test" before I run them, say what you want about that but I have never carmeled a piston.

Big fan here of 026/260......have 3 026's, did have a new MS260
but swapped it out for Dad's 026. Dad is 70 now, he can still run a
saw but it hurts his shoulder to start a saw, so we traded, decomp
really helps him..........I miss my 260. :)

How in the world could you be that happy with such an old outdated design as that old relic, why theirs no way I would even own one of those dinosaurs........ so I have two. :laugh: :cheers:

And the streak continues, another satisfied customer. :clap:

026 is a nice "all around" saw, my grandpa had one, it was always a good saw. Im more of a Husky 55 fan, about the same weight with a touch more power, and a bit smoother too.

Now I'm so jealous I can't stand it! My 361 keeps yelling at me that it wants a younger brother for limb work and for buckin' some 16 and 18-inch logs. It keeps saying, "C'mon Edwin, give the king a break now and then with a strong prince to lend a hand. I'll take care of the big stuff. Go get that 260 and do it now." :chainsaw:

What should I do? :dizzy:

Now I'm so jealous I can't stand it! My 361 keeps yelling at me that it wants a younger brother for limb work and for buckin' some 16 and 18-inch logs. It keeps saying, "C'mon Edwin, give the king a break now and then with a strong prince to lend a hand. I'll take care of the big stuff. Go get that 260 and do it now." :chainsaw:

What should I do? :dizzy:

You having an 361, MS180 is what I would do.

I all most always take more than one saw with me
and you can bet one of them will be MS180.
Most of the time it's MS180, MS361 (or MS440) and 064.

I don't drain fuel unless its going into storage. It will hold in the saw for better than a month in hot weather and much longer in cold.

I give it the old scientific "smell test" before I run them, say what you want about that but I have never carmeled a piston.

O.K. thanks, I'll leave it be from week to week then. B.T.W. what is the "smell test" exactly (if that's not a joke L.O.L.)- what will bad fuel smell like? If/when necessary, I'd just tump the contents of the tank out, or need to drain the lines etc.

M.L.- they sure do! I did buy it new, but I think I'll leave price out of this one entirely, considering I got destroyed for just asking about that in another thread, and I'm not going through THAT again (moral/ethical browbeating, jew, stealing dinner from dealer's children etc)!

A.O.D. I guess their dealers not being as convenient was the main reason vs. Echo and Stihl (those I drove right past on my daily and weekly routes). So I don't think I gave them as fair a chance in just looking at what I found in Sears & Lowes (I.E. the 455 Rancher). I do understand their higher end models have a superior power to weight ratio, A.V. and air filtration systems etc. to those of Stihl and Echo, so I will make it a point to make the drive to an actual Husky dealer when it's time for a bigger chainsaw.

But for now, this one's powerful enough for me anyways. There were only two trees I skipped that I might have tried with a bigger chainsaw. I'm sure a professional could have handled cutting them from both sides, but I'm not about to try any advanced techniques yet. I'll use a bigger bar when I pick up an M.S. 460 or 441 (or Husky equivalent) and those will be no problem!

Back