Only One Saw?!?!?!?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i would refresh the 359 new piston and ring for 30 bucks.

the 359 is better saw then your buddies 390 and is on par with the 361.

id also make sure that its tuned and cutting at its full potential, maybe do this before refreshing the top end.

i wouldnt buy the 361 you have the 359. you already have saw very simialr and power and even weighs the same as the 361.

the 390 is heavy turd in comparison though it might pull a 28" bar better then both the 361 and 359 if it was muffler modded

:laugh: I like how everybody around here (just using your post as an example of many around here Evan) thinks the MS361 is the best thing since the snot rag and the MS390 is an over weight underpowered pig. :laugh:

The 59cc MS361 comes in at a featherweight 12.3lbs and toting a glorious 4.3/4.4hp (depending which spec you want to quote). The 64.1cc MS390 comes in at an astonishingly overweight 13lbs even and makes a measly 4.3hp. :laugh: The 361 holds about 4 more oz’s of fuel so I would say there’s about 7oz’s difference between the two in ready to work trim…..

The down fall of the MS390 is not its performance or weight it’s its homeowner construction and being priced so near its professional grade counterpart. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the MS390 will cut stick for stick log for log EVERYTHING the MS361 will cut, it’s just not gonna be quite as fast or nearly as durable doing it.

Novaman, I’m not a bit surprised that the 390 out-cut your 359 if both are box stock, but you should know that the 359 is a much better built saw and will likely last a good bit longer than your buddies homeowner saw.

If you’re looking for more giddy-up I suggest what you need to do is start by opening up the muffler on that 359, it will make a noticeable difference in that saw. If you are still wanting more then I’d say you need to look at sending it out to a reputable builder. That saw REALLY comes to life with some port work and will hang with a stock 70cc saw all day long in a lighter more nimble package….. and it’s cheaper than buying a new saw.

Now if you’re just looking for an excuse to upgrade your arsenal and move up to a two saw plan then by all means a 50cc/70cc plan is BY FAR the way to go and will let you cut any tree you have any busines cutting anywhere in North America. Everybody has their favorites here and you’ll get 100 different replies on the “perfect” two saw plan and most all of them will be right…. there are whole threads devoted to this subject. My personal pick and since you seem to have a lean towards Stihl would be the 044/MS440 or a 046/MS460 as the 70cc saw (440 for lighter weight 460 for bigger wood) and a 026/MS260 as the 50cc saw. Absolutely bullet proof saws and will probably still be working long after you’ve quit.

Leave the 200T's to guys that climb trees for a living, a top handle saw has no place on the ground.

:cheers:

I think the cheap made homeowner part and the bulky ,to me look of the 390 is what makes it a pig. Not just the actual weight, even though the power ratings are close to it and the 361 , ratings are ratings and how it feels in your hands is what counts. 359, 361 I like 390 I dont!

Only ONE saw!!!!?:dizzy:

If I had to choose, I would keep my 064. That thing cuts rings around my 066, I love that saw.
Good choice on the 044-440 too. I worked my way up from an MS-290, than a tired 038, but it ran like a raped ape, to the 039, which is now for the wife to put on top of her Jeep when we got out, to an 044. It's my "small" saw and I love it! I really think your like the 70cc class!:clap:

saw4.JPG

Need a newer pic with the 044!

GM

Fix your current saw and get a 441 for a bigger saw or a 260 for a smaller saw. If the stock power levels don't excite you get them ported.

I run a 20" bar on the ported 260 and a 28" bar on the ported 441. Both are used for logging work and both are super reliable and fast.

The filter and gas mileage benefits of the 441 make it a better choice than the 044/440 or the 046/460.

My opinion,

Sam

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back