only one saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug01

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
With all of these poll-type questions going on I'll ask one too. If you could have only ONE saw, what would it be?

That question has been asked more than once, I would have to go with either my PP372 or my MS460.

372xp would be the keeper.A little heavy for the floppers but good power for the bigger cuts.

Rick

Since I only have one saw, I will stick with my 372.

If I wasn't doing any milling with an alaskan, I would try a 357xp out. Seems like a good comprimise for the cutting I do.

Ian

yep im afraid id have to stay with my 372 pp. good balance w 20 inch and
will do anything u need. but if i gotta get rid of my 036 or pp295. i aint playin this game.:)

Ten or fifteen years ago you could hardly have gave me anything but a Stihl. The others just didnt "feel right". But now all the brands seem to put out good saws with a few exceptions and EPA bugs. I never really owned anything other than mid size and up Stihls. Currently run Ms 460. BUT, now I have a hankerin for a Husky 372.
John

Only one saw?

What a depressing, demoralizing thought.

But a 372XP it shall be.

(With a 346XP hidden away, if it is against the rules to have more than one saw.)

It would be my 020T, because that is the saw I use the most and can make the most money with. I can get the most bang for the buck with a $20 cane knife. I can trim about 5000 coconut trees @ $35 a piece before I need to replace it.

koa man i keep an cane cutter behind my seat. very effective for certain jobs.
wouldnt be a bad thing to have around if u was being mugged. just one swing and somethings coming off. :)

Is a cane cutter a machete?

As far as only one saw, if it was one of mine I would have to pick the husky 350. I have a 20" bar but only run it w/ a 16 and after opening the muffler I can burry the bar and it hardy ever complains. The echo 670 gets heavy after limbing a while with the 24" bar. I got an 18" for it but haven't used it much with that yet although I think that would help make it a lot more useful for limbing. I've never used one but I think the 357 would be a good saw if you could ONLY have one.

everybody talking about saws getting heavy.:(

lift weights or get a new job:rolleyes:

I can (and do) carry any of my saws all day, every day, and I'm 5'10" 150 lbs. and 40 and have been cutting for 28 years.
However I'm motivated and highly paid.
but still, I make my living with chainsaws so, I carry whatever cuts fastest.

to each their own.

Tresslayer

I`ll be 43 next month and I can lift you in any manner of ways but why the hell would I carry you around when I can use someone the size of Gypo?

If a person isn`t cutting big wood, such as the case of ROW clearance or TSI, you don`t need brute horsepower. Consider the number of times in a day that a person in one of these trades swings a saw in a day and multiply that extra pound or two by that number. That`s alot of extra work done that doesn`t put any more bacon on the table.

BTW, many of us are highly paid but it is still tacky to speak of gross earnings and such. I don`t feel the need to compensate for anything by weilding a larger chainsaw. Maybe we should have restricted access to the forum based on our 1040s, assets and holdings, and debt ratio? Who will still be here? I don`t care and don`t see it`s relevance.

Russ

Last edited:
Originally posted by Doug01
Is a cane cutter a machete?

Not quite. This is a photo of the cane knife all coconut trimmers prefer. It is a Tiger brand made in Germany, out of production over 10 years. I probably have the only brand new one on the island. The one I am currently using will probably last me another 5 years if I sharpen it with a stone instead of a file.

Hi Russ, I am proud to anounce that I netted 23,756 $ CDN last year, I was always one jump away from hopping a box car though, since a rolling stone gathers no moss.
Anywho, I like #7, the higher the kickback potential, the cooler the saw is.
John

Latest posts

Back