Ontario Chainsaw Modifier

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonecoldtractors

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to the site and I've tried out the search function but can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

I have a MS 260 that I'd like to get modified (muffler, ported and timing?) but I'm a bit timid to try it myself. I see lots of very talented guys in the USA (Mastermind, Brad Snelling) who've I have thought about contacting and sending it to but I'm afraid the shipping costs would be more than the mods.

Is there anyone in Ontario Canada who is a skilled saw modifier who people recommend?

Does anyone have experience in shipping a power head across the border?

I seem to contracted CAD. I started out with just a stock MS260 and now I own an 038 and a MS170 (which I'm contemplating selling to buy a MS201T).

I see you're in Picton - I'm in Belleville. The only guy I have known over the years to do quality port work in Ontario was Ed Heard up near Haliburton, but he has hung up his grinding tools as far as I know. I have been debating just doing my own if I can get some proven timing numbers. I think if someone set up shop somewhere in this province they could do quite well as long as they did quality work consistently.

I'd try a muffler mod myself but the carb adjustment after the mod concerns me due to having to pull the limiter. Maybe I'm just overthinking it.

No way I'd try porting myself.

I grew up in Picton but moved to "The City" for a career years ago.

Hello,

I'm new to the site and I've tried out the search function but can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

I have a MS 260 that I'd like to get modified (muffler, ported and timing?) but I'm a bit timid to try it myself. I see lots of very talented guys in the USA (Mastermind, Brad Snelling) who've I have thought about contacting and sending it to but I'm afraid the shipping costs would be more than the mods.

Is there anyone in Ontario Canada who is a skilled saw modifier who people recommend?

Does anyone have experience in shipping a power head across the border?

I seem to contracted CAD. I started out with just a stock MS260 and now I own an 038 and a MS170 (which I'm contemplating selling to buy a MS201T).

Just picking your brain to ask why you want a ported saw? I have shipped and imported a great many chainsaws from all over the US and many countries overseas.

Why does anyone modify their saw? More power from a light saw.

I was contemplating up dating to a 261 because I wasn't thrilled with the power of my 260 but thought I'd sooner wake up the potential in my 260 due to it being 1 lbs lighter than the new MS261CM.

I know about the perceived ideas concerning ported saws, own a few dozen myself but just trying to get a feel for what use you intend for a ported saw. Are you actually cutting down trees or bucking up firewood? Do you intend to use it in a professional setting or will it be more of a show off machine or shelf queen?

I'm looking to make a powerful working saw, not just a shelf queen.

Maybe porting isn't what I should do. That's the other reason I wanted to find someone with some expertise.

There was a time when a woods ported saw was what most owners wanted but now most saws are ported much further than the woods port. Most are ported as a show off piece and that may not be best for a work saw, just depends on what is intended for the saw, type of wood most often cut, size of wood being cut, type of chain , size of chain and bar all play a part in how a saw is set up for port work.

I'd say just mod the muffler yourself, to gain some power. Then satisfy your budding CAD by picking up a cheapie saw and porting it yourself. If that blows up, repeat until you are comfortable enough to do it to your work saws. Then open up shop porting in your area in exchange for more saws/parts. Before you know it, you'll be skipping sleep, work, and meals to go out to the shop and "work" on your obsession.

I'm looking to make a powerful working saw, not just a shelf queen.

Maybe porting isn't what I should do. That's the other reason I wanted to find someone with some expertise.
You could try EHP saws.com. Ed Heard is on Lake Erie.He builds a good saw, but doesn't build for just anybody.
So, just tell Ed that your just a cookie cutting woodtick, then you will get your best price, but don't tell Ed I sent you.
Ed built a 346 and a 359 for me. They are both fast saws.
Timber Tramp.

So Mr. Heard is no longer up in Haliburton? And ehp.com only allows registered users, and doesn't allow any new registrations. Ed Heard has a good reputation but I didn't know he was still doing port work. It would be great if he still is.

Kind of in the boat as the OP so I thought I would revive this thread. Have a ported Husky 365 XT that was done by EHP about 5 years ago. It's an absolute beast and has given me no problems. Recently bought a new Stihl 661 and am thinking of getting it professionally uncorked. Would love to find someone in Southern Ontario that can build and maintain these saws.

Latest posts

Back