Ontario GTG?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywynd

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I realize I'm new here, and still getting to know a lot of folks. Maybe there's already something that has, or happens regularly here in Ontario, I don't know, and apologize if there is.

If there isn't, how much interest is there to put something together here in Ontario? It's a big province, so I know there would be a lot of difficulty in getting a location that is going to be able to include everyone.

I know in my case, I'm 1.5 hours northeast of Toronto, 3 hours from Ottawa, but a lot farther from say, Windsor, or Sudbury, etc. I am only a couple hours from the crossings at Gananoque though if some of our southern neighbours wanted to make the trek.

I do have some acreage, but not a lot of stuff to cut other than a ton of poplar logs that are already here. (some pushing 48" diameter.) If folks wanted to meet here I could certainly entertain the idea, or if anyone else is interested I would certainly do some driving.

Any interest guys/gals?

I'm in Windsor so I'd be more likely to go to a SE Michigan gtg unless we met somewhere in the middle of us. Great idea though, off topic a bit but I have a question for you. All of our ash have been dead for five years or more but I went to London last month and they had lots of healthy ash there, how are they up your way?

I don't get out in the woods a lot these days, so can't really say I've noticed a trend. I did see a nice big ash the other day that was dead, but I also know a few around that look healthy yet.

Steve, that depends on what I'm being accused of, but that tends to be an area I hang around sometimes. Doing a nice job of looking after my farm discs?

HAHAHA!!!! I suspected as much............... Those discs haven't seen any sod since I picked them up :msp_scared: Pat has been working the land. I can get them back to you .
So the reason for the GTG would be to "tidy up" those "twigs" you have in your back pasture ? ;)
How have you been keepin' Big Fella ??

Steve

Just to have some fun and meet other chainsaw/woodcutting enthusiasts. If it's here or elsewhere doesn't matter to me.

Though if one happens elsewhere I guess we should be able to arrange to ride together if we want!!

Trying to stay out of trouble, seems to be working, been working the dirt down around Toronto a lot the last year or so, and got some stuff on the go at Hiawatha right now. Where are you hanging your hat these days?

Just to have some fun and meet other chainsaw/woodcutting enthusiasts. If it's here or elsewhere doesn't matter to me.

Though if one happens elsewhere I guess we should be able to arrange to ride together if we want!!

Trying to stay out of trouble, seems to be working, been working the dirt down around Toronto a lot the last year or so, and got some stuff on the go at Hiawatha right now. Where are you hanging your hat these days?

Sounds good M. , that drive to T.O. is a tough pill to swallow but I bet the $ isn't !! :msp_w00t: I've been back to Dyna....C working sub-contract. It's worked out great, get to take off time when I want. Give me a shout if you need some of those big logs "diced" up, I have a few saws that need a workout :chainsaw:
GTG's are few & far between here (Ontario), like you mentioned, it"s a big province.

Steve

I've been processing some of the stuff down closer to the house the last while, trying to clean up around the barn etc. It's a lot of odds and ends, cedar, spruce, manitoba maple etc. (Most of it is maybe 6-10" diameter stuff.) Not much wood of value, all stuff that's been brought home from various job sites.

Stuff up top is more than I ever need, not really sure why I agreed to the deal on it I did. If you want to chop some up though to test saws, let me know. If you want some for shoulder wood for the burner, we can certainly work something out. I'd like to build a wood burner, and have a guy looking for materials for me, but hard to say when that will happen. Of course all the prime hardwood is taken from any sites I'm working on, but there's lots of mediocre stuff, hence my want for a burner.

One of the next projects here I think will be to rebuild/replace the 30" stroke cylinder on my wood splitter. The old one's leaking worse then ever, and getting to a point where it's starting to bother me even!

Back