Oops, I did it again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Timber

1/4 bubble off
Reaction score
Ordered a new muffler with jungle port from Weedeaterman for the 357xp, and it showed up with a 3/8" ID outlet tube and internal baffle. Hmmm, that's not gonna work!

So I did this:

DSC02311.jpg

I also hogged out the baffle so there's a hole not much smaller than the muffler's inlet hole in it. The remaining flange prevents a straight shot on the outlet pipe so it's not even all that loud.

She runs good now. :D

We have an order in... but as usual, they are stubborn. I'm waiting on 24" Stihl as well, best seller and I can't get them!
In there defense, the supplier is moving from CA to TN and until that's done, we both are on the waiting list.

Like I mentioned in the email - whenever it shows up is fine with me. I was just curious if you had any new info.

that's exactly how i do the 357 muffs. gotta be the quietest saws ever before the mod.

I wouldn't go that far, but it certainly wasn't very noisy either. I was really surprised that the jungle muff outlet was so small out of the box. I'd imagine with that on there, it would be a quiet saw (didn't try it). Kinda hard to scream when you can't breathe. :laugh:

mine had a oem screened port muff. i'm sitting here thinking and i can't think of any other saw i owned that was quieter. i guess the earthquake was pretty close.

I drilled the baffle in my OEM top port muffler before it ever saw wood in my possession. Come to think of it, I think the only time I ran it stock was at the pawn shop to see how it sounded before agreeing to buy. :D

Thanks Ron. :) Tigging this stuff is a pain. The muffler is so thin at the corners it tends to ball and pull away from the puddle. The other thing is if you manage to touch the electrode it makes a big hole you need to then try to fill without chasing the edge across the muffler.

I could always braze them, but where's the fun in that? :crazy:

Thanks Ron. :) Tigging this stuff is a pain. The muffler is so thin at the corners it tends to ball and pull away from the puddle. The other thing is if you manage to touch the electrode it makes a big hole you need to then try to fill without chasing the edge across the muffler.

I could always braze them, but where's the fun in that? :crazy:
Brazing is the method I have always used, works well but is quite a bit of cleanup involved(removing flux).

My dad never taught me how to weld, only braze. He was too cheap to use the gas needed to melt the metal. :) He also wasn't very good at it and a lot of his joints failed. It was part of why I bought my first mig, then I saved more and got a cheap tig to learn on, then finally upgraded to my Sync 250dx about 9 years ago. I really enjoy tig welding for some reason. I find it relaxing. I'll inherit my dad's torches, and I have a small set of my own as well. I mainly just use the rosebud and cutting head from time to time. Haven't brazed anything in years.

Back