Oozing spots on Red Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, We got the lab report back and they did not find any pathogen present on this oak and sample. However, we had a consultant coming in to look at it and gave us his thoughts. He looked at this oak and few others in proximity and noticed that one of the other oaks exhibiting a lighter color foliage in the central leader, to a point of chlorotic. There is also dieback present. He looked around it and found an oozing spot at the root flare. He suggested that we take a sample at that location and send it in to the lab again. He is certain that the lab will find a pathogen this time. I am sending in another sample and will keep everyone posted.
Thanks for the up date. I was hoping that this thread wouldn't slowly sink down into the AS abyss.
I have to question your consultants reasoning. Taking a sample from an adjacent oak oozing stump will help us ID the mystery spots in your pics how exactly?
If it is in fact what I think, a symptom of stress, slime flux. I would recommend a soil test be done & you keep the soil moist. Mulching is very helpful as we all know. The fix is to improve tree health & vigor.
A pathogen is not necessary for a tree to show signs of chlorosis & dieback. Environmental stress wont show in a lab report.

That is not sap sucker damage
Sapsucker woodpeckers wouldn't be jumping around that far from each excavation.
They usually have all their spots closer to each other and mostly on vertical locations.
They remove more bark then I see there and the holes look larger.
Oh ya, and they drink the sap so not much left "oozing"
Probably a time when the tree had stress on it.

Latest posts

Back