open port transfer work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodyman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Was wondering if there is anyone that has any pics of transfer work done on an open port slug or ideas?I got some small Husky 44cc open port saws I want to improve flow on.Heres a pic of the transfer.

attachment.php

this is the ony one i have of a rough in.
4fvkaf.jpg

don't make them any bigger than they already are, just sweep the tops back and slightly up.

That looks very nice,thanks.I see what you mean by sweep back(is that sweep back towards the intake?) and slightly up.You can tell me all day but a picture:clap:

Last edited:
I know this is an older post, but It has pics that support my questions.

In the pics above of the ported cylinder, the divider in the transfer ports has been partially removed. Is this preferred over leaving it in place and making it thinner?

Thanks,
Travis

it depends on the saw. on the 3400 cylinder (my pic), the piston really shrouds the transfers, and needs to be moved up to make it easier for the charge to make it past the skirt and crank. if the saw has a windowed piston, it would be a different story. these 3400's like it when you remove a bit of the bridge. just that alone makes a noticable improvment. in the pic, it looks like it's been knife edged, it's actualy pretty rounded. knife edging is not the best way to leave it as it could cause a bit of turbulance and rob power.

In my short time of becoming Internet certified, I feel you will see cylinder that are open port will have the top shaped towards the intake side like the previous pictures. Some of the closed port cylinders after modified tend to resemble some of the open port design.......does that make sense?

Back