Openings in the bark of Redbud branches

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcairns

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My 40 year-old Redbud has large openings facing upward in the bark of two of its horizontal branches. These are large branches that are still structurally strong and produce lots of buds in the spring. Rain and melted snow water can collect in the openings and will freeze in the winter, possibly splitting the branch. What can I use to either (1) fill these holes with some material to make a permanent or semi-permanent repair, or (2) wrap the branches at these locations to repel water over the winter?

Pictures of Redbud tree

Attached are three pictures of the Redbud tree that has a few large openings in the bark in which water can settle and freeze. I am looking for something I can use to fill in the holes. Years ago people used concrete but I don't want to do that. Some type of weatherproof foam in a spray can would be perfect as long as it won't damage the tree.

This is an old tree with limited life left but it is so gorgeous in the spring that people stop to take pictures of it in bloom.

Last edited:
Need lessons

I think the problem is that I don't know how to attach files to my messages on this site. With Outlook Express it is very simple. Can you tell me how to do it here?

When you post, you need to go down to the "Manage Attachments" button and press it.
That will bring up a window that is much like the one in Outlook Express. You just "Browse" for the picture on your computer, and "Load" it.
Once loaded, you can close that window, or "Load" more pictures, then close it. They will be automaticly added to your post.
Let us know if you need more help.

Another try at photos

Attached are three pics of the Redbud tree with large holes in the branches that I would like to fill with something to prevent water accumulation over the winter.

The one cavity could be cleaned out and then filled with expandable foam to prevent water collection. I don't think I'd worry about it if it were my tree tho.

I'd be worried about the base of the tree. It is now covered by mulch, which may be hiding some serious problems. Read 'Proper Mulching" in the link below.

Redbud Tree

I will look for a "exterior grade" of expandable foam.

The tree is dying, probably a result of old age (40+ years) and an infection which the local arborist says he cannot cure.

Thanks for your help.

the first picture looks like a canker, either Botryosphaeria or Dothistroma or ?

Trees can be much more susceptible to these diseases if their roots are not right. re treatment, there are ways to strengthen the tree's resources to fight the infection.

Filling cavities in trees that have terminal illnesses sounds like painting the deck chairs on the Titanic.:biggrinbounce2:

Can you post a picture of the trunk flare?

Fixing the Redbud tree

I am only doing repairs on this Redbud to extend the life of those branches with holes because one hard freeze with water in the hole could cause an expansion that could crack the branch. These are large holes — I could pour at least 2 quarts of water in the largest one. Since these branches are horizontal the water remains.

The reason for trying to extend the life is that it is arguably the most spectacular tree in our city when in bloom. This is in the backyard of a corner house so it can be seen clearly from the side street. Dozens of cars, many of whom are repeat visitors, stop to photograph the tree in the spring.

I will send a picture of the flare.

It looks from here that an improperly pruned branch actually caused the problem. Look on the far side of the tree toward the wire. And the mulch does look as if it needs to be pulled back a little. I prune lot's of redbuds, and they need proper pruning just look most other trees. I don't think you need foam or any filling of the crack.

Bad pruning

You may be right about the pruning. I did some pruning of the tree a few years ago before I bought a pruning book. Shortly after I did it, the tree showed signs of suffering so I called in a local certified arborist. The first thing he said was "Who's been pruning this tree?" When I told him it was me he said "Well, you're the one who's killing it." Good, straightforward information. I have him prune the tree each spring.

I guess I will let the holes go again this year.

In a prior post one member mentioned the names of two types of canker, Botryosphaeria or Dothistroma, that he thought might be the cause of the damage to the tree. Would treatments using the chemical Imidacloprid be beneficial to this tree?

Roots

I don't believe the recent landscaping hurt the tree. The contractor did remove some soil around the roots because the flare had been covered too deeply by mulching and planting over the years. He commented that one of the major roots looked as if it were decomposing. I will send a recent picture of the base of the tree.

It would be nearly impossible to install the patios and retaining walls without doing extensive damage to the roots of the tree. The possible exception is if there were already patio and retaining walls in the same locations and the new material was just carefully placed where the same locations with minimum soil disruption.
Having seen patios installed, I know the soil is scraped away, gravel and sand are brought, the whole area is compacted, then the pavers are laid. What roots, that aren't cut off, don't have a chance.
The tree's critical roots are in the area under the dripline. Basically where all the new stuff is.
Unless you tell me something exceptional, I'd say there is extensive root damage, and the tree's a goner, although I've had some limited luck with Cambistat in cases like this.
It might be a good idea to get a new tree planted now, so it it has some to to establish while the old tree dies. There should be room right in the same planter.

Latest posts

Back