Opinions from much more experienced please: Stihl 461 or 660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtwapiti

Reaction score
I am a newbie so be gentle. I want the advice/opinions of people that have used the Stihl 461 and the stihl 660 and what they like/dislike. I am going to buy one of them. I want to know that with just a hundred dollars difference to go with the 660 or when i am cutting down trees in the 20 -24 inch range will i even notice the difference between the two. Is is better to go with a machine that i can still tune the carburetor or is the new technology better. The weight I am not concerned about being only about a 1.5 pound difference. I am going to do some milling also probably 20-25 % of the saws usage. thanks.

I can't say about the 461 as I haven't run, one just my 460. From the video's and the new designs regarding an increase in torque and a more flat torque curve, I would get a ported 461 and save the weight. I had a 066 and got rid of it because my 460 with 28" bar would pull in any wood I tried, as well as my 066 with a 25" bar. The 660's advantage is only there if you run a 36" bar or a 32" on a regular basis and a ported 460 or 461 would run a 32" fine all day. If you are gonna mill a lot, then the 660 would be a better choice. But for falling and bucking 25" tree's the 461 would be my choice. I'm 6'2" 215lbs and I notice the weight difference even after 4 hours of firewood cutting. Also the smaller saw is a bit more nimble when in brush.

Unless you are in 32" wood.......the MS461 would be my choice.

It's not a stratified saw, nor is it an autotune. Old school saw, with a quad port jug basically.

The 460 was never a popular saw in my area. Most folks just bought a 440 as it was less weight and less cost. The 440 was/is arguably one of the best saws ever produced. The 461 is new on the market. I don’t think you are going to find too many folks here that own one.

The ms660 has been around for a LONG time, like since before dirt was invented. It is a good saw, good weight, compact powerhead and plenty of power. Its main fault is a lack of anti-vibe. Its a buzzy saw to run. If you are sensitive to vibes and like to pick your nose at the end of the day, you might want to think a little bit harder.

If you are just going to cut 20-24” diameter trees both saws are way overkill. A 60cc or 70cc saw with a 24” bar will be more than enough. If you are thinking anything about milling, the 660 is the way to go. You will want to try to find a west coast version of 660. It will come with a wrap handle but it will have a high output oiler that might come in handy for milling. Good luck and have fun.

Thanks for your opinions i am going to my dealer today to make the final decision. Leaning towards the 461.

From what I've run the 461 would be my choice for your situation. :D

It amazes me that so many guys ask the "which saw" question in this forum. In the Chainsaw forum we have a bunch of guys that work on saws......but how many full time tree killers are hanging out here reading these posts? Seems like to me these questions would be better answered in the Forestry & Logging side of the forum.

It amazes me that so many guys ask the "which saw" question in this forum. In the Chainsaw forum we have a bunch of guys that work on saws......but how many full time tree killers are hanging out here reading these posts? Seems like to me these questions would be better answered in the Forestry & Logging side of the forum.

theres a few of us here randy, we jus quite lol. I do use the 461 almost every day, it is a very good saw in oak or what ever. mine wears a 28 comfortably. 660 comes out for 40" plus oaks.

20-24 inch wood ,your timbers similar to whats here i would think ,doug fir ,hemlock ,cedar softwoods ,461 is plenty of saw ,after couple hours you will be glad had the lighter saw most of the time ,that monkey guy can hop it up some if you don't mind running a loud saw, milling if 28 inch bar or less it will do fine also ,i mill 20 inch fir with a 460 and a 660 ,they both do fine

Last edited:
Unless you are in 32" wood.......the MS461 would be my choice.

It's not a stratified saw, nor is it an autotune. Old school saw, with a quad port jug basically.

Only 461 if you've had some hands on my friend !! In all seriousness I sold my 660 cause I'm that happy with my 461 and 390.

Sent from my iPhone guaranteeing nothing.

Latest posts

Back