Opinions of wired remote controls on Stump grinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Egrbvr1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Whats the general opinion of a wired remote control stump grinders v/s controls directly on machine? I have always had controls on the machine and you could feel what the machine was doing. Looking at a Carlton 3500D with remote and am concerned of this feature. Come on stumpy's I need your opinions. Been doing it since 97 so have used about every brand of grinder but never wired remote

I have a wireless remote on my carlton. It is a little different but you can listen to the engine for how big of a bite you can take. I would go with the wireless remote vers the wired.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

thanks guys,
Guess I wont walk away from them then. I do. like the idea of staying out of the dirt and rocks coming at you.

I haven't looked into it but you would think there has to be some aftermarket remote control suppliers-possibly at prohibitive costs tho

my brush bandit 2450 is wireless and i was concerned with the reviews before buying it because some guys did not like it. after 75 hr of running my machine i would not have it any other way, But in newjersey there is always some kinda surprize "pipes,bricks,concrete,rebar" among other things in the stumps and i prefer to stand over the cutting wheels so i have the birds eye view. also i have found that the remote had a delay with the swing speed set low/slow so i keep my swing speed real fast so there is no delay and just use less down bump and it seams to keep the machine responsive and grinding efficiently. Last and has to be my favorite is clean up my grinder has the push blade and i can over fill my bobcat bucket from the cab of the machine with the wired remote witch takes out any hand loading or raking. in the end i am 100% happy i puller the trigger on the wireless grinder

I still like the hand controls and standing behind a swing out shield. I like to see and hear what is going on close to the stumps. Running a Rayco rg90 and Rayco 1645. Dust is usually not bad in Michigan, if I was in the southern states would probably try remote again. The best brands for mid and larger size grinders are Rayco and Carlton.

My SP7015 has both. Wired is terrible because you have to be careful not to run over or snag the tethered wire to the machine. With a wireless remote I stand very close to the stump (wearing a helmet with face shield of course), standing anywhere to get the best view and not worry about a hard connection to the machine.

Back