opinions on rebuilt saw online needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackel440

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Gentleman I am looking for opinions on saws that I have seen on eBay that are supposedly rebuilt with new pistons and rings.maybe new cylinders or just rehoned. I am sure you have seen the person selling saw like that.I just wondered if anyone has gotten one.and if its a good deal?

Saws come in many different colors and can be made from materials of vastly different quality. Asking us to provide a response to the open ended question that you have posed would simply be a waste of time.

However, if you tell us what model (or models) of saw you are interested in, the type and amount of cutting you will be doing and the budget you have, we will be happy to provide our opinions.

If you're talking about the guy I think you might be, check his feedback. Seems like a lot of satisfied customers.

Gentleman I am looking for opinions on saws that I have seen on eBay that are supposedly rebuilt with new pistons and rings.maybe new cylinders or just rehoned. I am sure you have seen the person selling saw like that.I just wondered if anyone has gotten one.and if its a good deal?

I would stay away from those rebuilds on ebay. Better to get a good condition slightly used one that was never fooled with.

I have sold quite a few saws listed as rebuilt on ebay. And that is exactly what they are. They always come with a new piston and rings, all seals, rebuilt carb, fuel line and filter, and whatever else they need. Bearings and cylinder are checked out, and if any question are replaced. Any aftermarket parts are stated as well, because I do use Meteor pistons and or BB kits in some rebuilds. All saws I sell there are pres/vac tested. The reason I do this is so I know for a fact that what I sell is legit and I know I sell a true product. Thats also why i dont do partial refunds. You dont like it, refund it. Then I check the saw out if one ever comes back to see if there really is anything wrong.

Im not advertising here, I have not even listed my ebay handle.

Thats just how I do it. I understand your point, I bet there are a LOT of people listing saws not truly as listed, I have bought several.

Ok I apologize for my original post being a little open ended,but I was at work trying to post on my phone at break time.I have been wanting to ask this question for a long time,but had put it off.
A little background on what I am needing(wanting).I am building a gassification boiler to heat my shop and home.I help my nieghbor clear woods,and fence rows.He pulls trees over with the excavator and i load logs and move tops with my skid steer.We are clearing 8 acres of woods right now.
I currently have an Stihl 025 with 18" bar that I use for cuttting stumps off and tops( my saw is a trooper).I am looking to buy a 044 model saw.I can't afford a new saw,but I want a pro grade saw that will last me for a long time.I also want to run a bigger bar for bucking up logs.
I have figured that I could buy a big pro saw for around $500 and would last me for along time.I think that a rebuilt pro saw would be better than a new lower grade saw that still wont have the power.Plus if there ever was problem with it.I could justify fixing it.
Scratchs and a few small cracks or blemishes don't bother me at all.I need a saw to use.I need something that i can count on.I am not going to debate brands here.I am only interested in Stihl.I have a local dealer for parts when I need some.
Maybe a previous poster is the seller i am thinking of,But I am not assuming anything.I like the way the seller has went thru and fixed things ,and sounds like it should perform like a new one.Plus the saw is a reasonable price.I think I could buy one and be happy.
I had looked at buying a new ms391 ,but the dealer wants $650 for it,and Its not pro saw.I would rather buy a bigger better used/rebuilt pro saw for the same or less money.I just feel that in the long run I would be more happy with a bigger more powerful saw.
Sorry for the long post,but I do thank you guys for your time and opinions.:cool:

Yea, I've seen his saws. Don't have one but he seems to sell them. Only question in my mind is that every saw has 160 lbs comp and hold 10lbs of vacuum and pressure. I can by the pressure and vacuum readingsd but not 160 for every saw.

I misunderstood what type of saw you were interested in. I thought that you were speaking of the reconditioned big box saws. For something of that sort I think I would want to put my hands on it before any cash traded hands.

Yea, I've seen his saws. Don't have one but he seems to sell them. Only question in my mind is that every saw has 160 lbs comp and hold 10lbs of vacuum and pressure. I can by the pressure and vacuum readingsd but not 160 for every saw.

Yeah that is the only problem I see in his ads.Seems like it is just cut and paste from all the others?
If he does all that is listed which I believe he does.I think it is a fair deal.I like the fact that most all of them come with new chain and bars.
If one ad said something different on the compression on a saw it would be a little more believe able.
He does give a 30 day return which I think he stands behind his work.I just know I need another saw ,and I am leaning on this route.
I am just scared of buying a lemon ,and getting stuck with a big headache

I misunderstood what type of saw you were interested in. I thought that you were speaking of the reconditioned big box saws. For something of that sort I think I would want to put my hands on it before any cash traded hands.

I apologize for not making my first post more clear.I am past the big box store saws.I see no point in owning one of them.
I have tried to find a big saw locally,but there just doesn't seem to be any around here.every once in awhile you might find one ,but everyone I have seen might has well been gold plated.:bang:
The better deals seem to be online and more towards the west coast.not in the middle of corn field Indiana.:laugh:

I would be hesitant on buying a rebuilt saw on Ebay without first having it in my hands and checking it out.

There used to be a guy who lived near me who would rebuild saws and sell them on CL and Ebay. Last I knew he got shut down by ebay because his "rebuilt" saws were not what he discribed, and had major problems with them.

Just recently I got my hands on one of his saws and he had rebuilt and he had that saw so Obama rigged that it took $100 worth of my time and parts to get it done right.

It is people like him who ruin for everyone. I know some guys do sell legit and realy well done saws, but there are plenty out there who are looking to make a quick buck.

I would stick with saws on the Trading Post here or buy local so you can check them out first.

The only thing iffy I have seen about this seller, is I believe he was selling an 026 "Pro" that didn't look like it was originally pro to me... no "pro" badge on the covers, and the decomp valve was an aftermarket one with a blue button. A little weird, but I don't think I would actually call it shady.

His feedback is good and he has a good return policy, so I wouldn't be too worried.

I would never go after a saw that was said to be honed unless buying for parts other than the cylinder.

Buying a saw said to have a new piston can be a red flag, why did it need a new piston? If it was due to wear then it had alot of hours on it and other parts are going to be well worn too. If not then what underlying problems might be left unresolved and what really is the condition of the cylinder?

I would suggest contacting a board member or two with your price point and ask them to set you up. Always nice to give the nod to guys who sponsor the site (like BlSnelling). I'd also check with a certain guy out west whose handle ends in "slinger" and a certain canuk (who already posted here) whose handle ends in "wolf". There is a very reputable guy who ends in "cobJ" who would work you up a bulletproof 044, but he is not home right now. One of those guys wil certainly have an 044/440 or 441 around. This is a very partial list, as there are dozens of stand-up guys here who all will build a very strong and reliable work saw.

I would suggest contacting a board member or two with your price point and ask them to set you up. Always nice to give the nod to guys who sponsor the site (like BlSnelling). I'd also check with a certain guy out west whose handle ends in "slinger" and a certain canuk (who already posted here) whose handle ends in "wolf". There is a very reputable guy who ends in "cobJ" who would work you up a bulletproof 044, but he is not home right now. One of those guys wil certainly have an 044/440 or 441 around. This is a very partial list, as there are dozens of stand-up guys here who all will build a very strong and reliable work saw.

That's a good idea. I just didn't know a good way to ask who would sell a saw.other than the trading post and eBay or craigslist.I guess I should have thought to just put up a wanted ad.I have been able to get some overtime here lately and thought now is my chance to get another saw.

I would not buy any used saw from any place. I,ve read horror stories on this site of children tuning their saws with dremel tools. This make them worthless, unless you are buying scrap metal. Just buy the new saw that meets your requirements. That will be your best deal. There are lots of good new saws out there.
ZG

I would not buy any used saw from any place. I,ve read horror stories on this site of children tuning their saws with dremel tools. This make them worthless, unless you are buying scrap metal. Just buy the new saw that meets your requirements. That will be your best deal. There are lots of good new saws out there.
ZG

I have more used saws than I do Doller bills there is some nice ones out there.

I agree, even same model used saws seem to rarely have exact compression readings.

ZG

If they are turning saws into scrap metal, explain the results and wait times these "children" constantly have.

Latest posts

Back